Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Anything goes

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Depends on the Color (Explain)

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
Do you prefer flame or quilt tops? Or dislike maple all together?

Does the color change what type of wood you like?
I ask because while browsing recently, I discovered, on more "classic" type colors such as vintage smokeburst and the like, I prefer more of a straight flame. If it is quilt on those colors, I like the quilt to be of the straighter variety - not crazy, outrageous type.

Doh! I realized I didn't put my own preference as an option on the poll:dontknow: and can't edit.

Last edited:
Not hugely important for me, as the key is the guitar's other attributes, but I seem to choose flame a lot more often, though I have had both.

I also like hog with stains. One of my favorite guitars was a vintage orange Mira; the color went really well with the mahogany. As for opaque, I like gold tops, and white.

I love flame and quilt, but this recent discovery made me realize it depends on the color in some instances. I usually lean toward the grays, blues, charcoals anyway - with those I don't really care. I actually like solid hog as much/sometimes more than maple tops as well.

Doh! I realized I didn't put my own preference as an option on the poll:dontknow: and can't edit.

Click the pencil icon next to the poll question. Or... PM me the changes you want me to make. I can add, delete, or edit.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;45305 said:
Click the pencil icon next to the poll question. Or... PM me the changes you want me to make. I can add, delete, or edit.
Thank you sir.
Now what's your preference?!

I personally prefer Quilt over Flame. Don't get me wrong, I love both, but I lean towards quilt. For my eyes I see a more obvious uniqueness to quilt than I do flame. That is not to say that there aren't some very unique flame tops out there, just ask 11-Top. I own both and never see that changing.

Update: As I hesitated to click Post something occurred to me. The above comments apply more to Private Stock than standard models. As an example, my SC-58 looks perfect with flames. I don't think I would care for it as much with quilt. What the hell do I know?

Flame all the way for me.... until I get a quilt top then the fun begins! :)

Flame in the lead by a mile. Feel free to post pics of your favorite examples here too!

My personal favorite flame top.

i-TzgVBFW-X2.jpg

That's some nice, tight flame right there. Reminds me of an SC 58 I was gonna buy, but was a day too late. The one I wanted was black slate, real tight like that, only the flame had some squiggle to it. It was almost quilt but more flame, very even. Flilt.

I just painted over a quilt top with white paint. :laugh: I'm a flamer all the way.
Ha, I had some sweet looking mahogany painted over in white too. The guitar was black when I got it. Before PTC existed, I sent to paintguy(excellent work) and he sent me this:
4634196510_2dd8703956.jpg

I had a hard time painting over it, but it looks like this now:
4791311917_43aa099225_b.jpg

Thought about trying a white wash, but wasn't sure how that would come out on mahogany.

My question was, HEY PRS, HOW DID THIS GUITAR GET PAINTED AN OPAQUE COLOR?!?:laugh:

I think for me it depends on the color. If it is a more classic burst color or a more natural "earth" tone colors, I tend to go with flame. But for the brighter solid colors like red,blue
, greens, purples, I seem to like that more on quilt tops! But that's just me.

Back