Fix for a neck-heavy hollowbody?

I have a couple of neck diver models. To me its not a big deal. It doesnt affect playing or sound. It only occurs when you release the guitar completely.

A well balanced guitar is a nice thing, not an important thing.

Anyway, you can always sit down and play. Michael Houser and Bob Fripp always did.

Last edited:
Ok...

How can you even attempt that without strap locks???

Why are they standing in the street? or on the sidewalk? or on a tile floor?

Church guy was the best! LOL
Bwaaaaahaha!!!! :) I liked the guy who got stabbed in the back with the flying V. :D

This guy dives like an Olympian, but a suede strap solved the problem.

There was also some idea about putting some kind of lead weights around, or inside the jack, but I don't like to experiment on my guitars if I don't have to.

image_zps7a78dd43.jpg

That would be the least obtrusive fix, certainly done well!

You can always change the tuners. They are one of the biggest factors where only a small change in weight can make a big difference because they are at way up at the top of the neck where weight has the biggest impact.

Search for the lightest tuners that do what you want. If they have metal buttons, find compatible buttons made from plastic or wood. I put some Grover mini locking tuners and replaced the heavy tuner buttons with coa wood ones. That made a huge difference on my Ibanez. The tuners are at least 30% lighter and made all the difference.

I hear hipshot tuners are designed for universal fit without drilling new holes. They have open tuners without casings which might be lighter than the ones I got. They seem quite popular and have different buttons available for them which can be bought separately.

I'm thinking of trying those on my semi hollow PRS SE Zach Myers.

How much does your hollowbody weigh? My semi is about 6.5 lbs and is light enough that I use a really comfortable 2.5" wide suede banjo strap. It's thinner and softer single layer of suede compared to the equivalent guitar strap. Here'a the banjo strap on my ZM.

Grips really well while being extra soft and supple so it conforms really nicely to your shoulder. I removed the plastic clips and made my own holes at the ends.

Last edited:
I have a couple of neck diver models. To me its not a big deal. It doesnt affect playing or sound. It only occurs when you release the guitar completely.

Anyway, you always sit down and play. Michael Houser and Bob Fripp always did.
I stand when I gig and at practice, but I tend to always have a grip on the guitar in one way or another - if not holding the neck with my left hand, then the right arm is somehow holding the body. So even with my HB, I don't experience neck dive.

Actually burst out laughing because the guy was wearing a cycle helmet, but had forgotten his body armour!:D
Sounds like you're a fellow-mountain biker.

If you're stupid enough to try this, use a guitar with nice rounded edges and curves - stay away from V's, BC Rich's, Dimebag models, etc. Oh, and as stated previously, use straplocks!

Last edited:
Sounds like you're a fellow-mountain biker.

If you're stupid enough to try this, use a guitar with nice rounded edges and curves - stay away from V's, RC Rich's, Dimebag models, etc. Oh, and as stated previously, use straplocks!

I keep thinking about the point hitting the dudes kidney and his “ooh” expression on his face. Can’t stop laughing (tears!):D

I have hipshot tuners on all my SE's. They're great. My old EGII had headstock dive and ginormous chrome tuner buttons. The buttons came off, wood ones went on, end of problem.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I've had guitars that didn't balance well and I got tired of having to compensate for the constant neck dive. For me it was reason enough to sell them. One reason I really like the SE Custom 24 is it hangs perfectly.

On my Hollowbody Spruce, the ebony tuners weigh just about nothing. No neck dive issues. I'm using a PRS "paisley" strap with the nylon backing, I love the guitar to be able to slide around. Can't stand "non-sliding" straps.

Thanks all. The leather strap (suede inside) certainly makes it better. Also thinking about the tire weight as well.

Back