Fix for a neck-heavy hollowbody?

Mole351

Anyone have a good fix for this? I am going to buy a leather strap this evening but have read mixed results. Just bought a 2002 HB1 after selling another I owned last year...mainly because it was neck heavy. Realized I love that guitar too d@mn much and will try to make it work...

I swear that I read somewhere on this forum, in the last year, a great fix for this. Of course, no amount of searching gets me there. IIRC, it was something like this;
- Remove the top strap button
- Buy a longer screw of the same diameter
- find a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch piece of tubing (you could use copper or brass - easily found at a hardware store) about the same size as the bottom of the strap button
- remount in this order
- felt pad
- spacer tube
- strap button
- screw

That should take care of your neck dive.

Google was my friend. Kind of like this, only prettier.

26PL7dC.jpg

You're right, it's a compromise.

I can't do this anymore...

Ok...

How can you even attempt that without strap locks???

Why are they standing in the street? or on the sidewalk? or on a tile floor?

Church guy was the best! LOL

The good thing is that it's a hollow body - just fill it up with lead fishing sinkers. :eek:

Anyone have a good fix for this? I am going to buy a leather strap this evening but have read mixed results. Just bought a 2002 HB1 after selling another I owned last year...mainly because it was neck heavy. Realized I love that guitar too d@mn much and will try to make it work...

Can you post a picture of the guitar? (not sure what a 2002 HB1 is)

I think the s

I think the suede lined strap is the best way to go. Certain styles of guitar will exhibit different characteristics.
I'm a long time SG player and I've heard plenty of folks complain about the neck dive. My suede lined strap helps that a lot, and like I told a friend, I never perform publicly without having at least one of my hands on my guitar.

To be serious for a moment, I once saw something called a Heads Up strap that has a pocket for weights at one end; it came with the weights that you’d add or remove to balance the guitar. I don’t know if the product is still on the market. If you google it, there are some mentions and videos.

The spacer/long screw option will put shear force on the upper horn and increase the chances of cracking the wood. Never tried a suede strap, but that sounds interesting!

Back