First PRS SE Custom 24 or SE Zach Myers?

steves

So I'm trying to deceide which of these I might pick up for my first PRS.I
I'm a new player, beg/inter have a Fen Player Strat MIM which I'm enjoying.
Set up mice, easy to play.
Really want to add one of these, I've always been a PRS fan, not ready to pull the trigger on a CU 24 :).
I play a lot of blues, classic rock, no metal, hard rock...
Kinda like the cut out, because I play many times without an amp!
Can I get some thoughts on each? I've done some research, but don't seem to see any comparison between the 2 models.
Thanks!

Really want to add one of these, I've always been a PRS fan, not ready to pull the trigger on a CU 24 :).
Can I get some thoughts on each? I've done some research, but don't seem to see any comparison between the 2 models.
Thanks!

There are obvious differences - no doubt you have access to their specs and have compared the two. Whilst they may have some similarities - both being PRS, both having Humbuckers - there are noticeable differences 22 vs 24 frets, solid vs semi-hollow, 25" vs 24.5" scale length, different neck shape, Stop tail vs Tremolo, different PU's too.

All of this does make a significant difference between the two and the best bet is to try out both in store to determine which 'feels' right to you. The Zach Myers is the 'most' different from what you are already playing - a fender which has a 25.5" scale length with 2 humbuckers, semi-hollow with a fixed (instead of trem) bridge. The Custom 24 may be a bit closer as the scale length fits in between both the Fender and Zach Myers. It has a trem and (I believe) the ability to split the coils giving you a bit more versatility - if you use it.

Andertons have an Epic Deal on some 'stealth' models and played the Zach Myers and Cu24 (as well as the Tremonti and Baritone) so you can get an idea of the 'sounds' in their set up - which will probably be different in yours. There is NO substitute though for actually trying them yourself.

By trying them out your self, you will know which neck suits you best, which feels better to you - there is quite a difference between a Strat and a Zach Myers with string bends because of the big difference in scale length. The ZM also has a 'chunky' neck too so you really need to hold them, try them and see which you feel most comfortable with. You want to find the one that makes you want to pick up and play and not one that some person/people told you to get on the internet. The ZM and Cu24 are different, feel different and sound different too - one isn't necessarily better than another - it comes down to which one you prefer and the best way to find out which one to get is to go to a Music store and try them out.

Thanks , this is what I needed!
I haven't been able to play a ZM, there aren't any in my SA and GC stores.
I'm leaning towards the CU 24 , but have always liked a semi hollow ...??

You cant really go wrong with either.

The semi-hollow has only a very small acoustic chamber. It does alter the sound, but not greatly IMO.

It sounds like you prefer the looks of a double cut (I do too). I have never played a ZM, but I do have a SE Custom24. I have always said that if I could gift the very young me (when I wanted to begin playing guitar) one of my guitars from now, it would be the SE CU24. It just ticks all the vital boxes.

I started the same way as you but I've had my Mexican Deluxe Strat for almost 20 years. I'd go Custom 24 SE all day. Just got mine last month and I love it death. I literally cannot go into the room without picking it up.

-k

One thing to add to your comparisons ... if you like clean neck tones (such as on your Strat) then you may want a 22 fret model instead of 24. 22 is more like a LP and a 24 more like an SG tone-wise due to the frets pushing the neck pickup back toward the bridge. If you test with your Strat, switching from neck to middle pickup you'll hear the same type of tone shift you'll get 22 vs 24 fret models.

You can also do mods on your Strat to get series pickups such as a push/pull mod and get an effective humbucker tone.

I got both and wouldn't part with either. They are completely different with some crossover you can get a lot of the Zach Myers tones in the CU 24 boosted but it is thinner sounding on its own and doesn't get into les Paul territory like the ZM can. The 24 can get strat like sounds tapped but mine at least is quite noisy like a start too.

I have the Floyd version of the CU 24. Both guitars only had minor mostly cosmetic mods, they sound great stock. ZM needs careful pickup adjustment to stop bass side sounding boomy.

Last edited:
Thanks , this is what I needed!
I haven't been able to play a ZM, there aren't any in my SA and GC stores.
I'm leaning towards the CU 24 , but have always liked a semi hollow ...??

As others have said, you can't really go wrong with either but they are quite different instruments. You really do need to try both because they are different. I couldn't recommend one - even based on the information you gave in your first post. I don't know how you would find bending to notes for example on a Guitar that has an inch shorter Scale length such as the Zach Myers has. Don't know whether you will find the neck after playing a Fender, don't know if you want a fixed bridge or prefer a Trem like your Fiender. Don't know whether you want something closer to what you already have or something completely on the other side of the spectrum.

I couldn't recommend which one YOU would find best for your playing. Either one is a 'great' guitar and both are excellent value for the quality. The ZM maybe a bit closer to the more 'Les Paul' type sounds than the Cu24 but the Cu24 is no slouch either and perhaps more versatile. It may also be a better instrument for you coming from a Fender as its somewhere in the middle between your Fender and the ZM so you may find the Cu24 easier to transition to.

The correct answer should be get both but the question of which to buy first still remains.

I can understand the appeal of a Semi Hollow too but I still think you really ought to try the ZM first. Its an awesome guitar but whether its a step too far for you at the moment, coming from a Fender is something you really need to feel. Have you tried the SE Cu24 yet?

I don't know where the OP is located. A really good place to get used SE's online is Dave's Guitar Shop, he usually sells a whole bunch cheap. Got mine separately, but total for both was about $1000 no tax, free shipping. The 2016 ZM was $495 and the 2018 CU24 Floyd $595 (non floyds are about $50 cheaper) which is close to craigslist pricing.

Just in case your tempted to have your cake and eat it :)

Just looked and he has 3xZM's, 10xCU24's and 1x CU24 Floyd Rose.

I have a zm and a spalted maple cu24 SE and both are amazing so definitely try both. For SE cu24’s I would really suggest the exotic wood versions like spalted maple or zebrawood or ziricote as I’ve found the fretwork/build quality particularly nice with them compared to the standard cu24. And the zm SE has really nice/comparable fretwork and finishing. Both are miles above my les Paul tribute at like $500 Canadian less of a price tag.

Oh yeah, that Vintage Sunburst ZM at Dave’s looks pretty hot. If I didn’t already have a green one, I would be tempted to get it.

I bought a SE ZM and a SE Cu24. I changed the pups in the 24, and ended up selling it, as although it was improved, it still wasn’t quite what I wanted, maybe the 24 frets moving the neck pup down, IDK. The ZM is awesome stock, didn’t change or want to change anything about it. I am a fan of the two volume setup, being able to adjust the blend of the pups is important to me. The ZM also has this nice “airy” quality, and can easily get some nice controllable feedback.

So, my vote would be for the ZM. :cool:

Andertons have an Epic Deal on some 'stealth' models and played the Zach Myers and Cu24 (as well as the Tremonti and Baritone) so you can get an idea of the 'sounds' in their set up - which will probably be different in yours. There is NO substitute though for actually trying them yourself.

My wife is going to be so pissed off at you when I grab one of those ZMs.

Thanks!

I got so excited about the Anderton's deal I forgot to weigh in. :rolleyes:

IMO the SE24 will probably feel more familiar to you, coming from a Strat. Myself, as a ZM owner (as well as 2 Bernies and an older Singlecut SE) I'd probably lean that way, but honestly you can't go wrong either way.

Back