First PRS Guitar You Ever owned?

schecky

I'm just wondering what everyone's first PRS guitar was and when they got it. Mine was a SE Santana and I was 12 years old. Post pictures if you have them!

Last edited:
Tremonti Wood Library (maple neck, blood orange) from January.
I was looking for a Les Paul but we all know what their 2015 was like… bought PRS.

I definitely do not regret that purchase. So much so that I bought another!

A 1990 metallic maroon CE I bought used in `92 or 93. It cost around $700, and I was working at a supermarket back then.

Lost pictures in a pc crash, but it was a drop dead gorgeous Cu22 trem, birds, 10 quilt in gray/black. Probably a '98 or '99 model. Several of the online vendors from back then are either gone or no longer carry PRS. It wasn't Fred's, but like them I believe they're still around, just not selling PRS. Blanking on the store name right now...

'98 McCarty. Bought it new at GC. It was a reddish purple 10 top. Had to sell it a couple of years later to pay the tax man.

1990 CE maple top, bought new in (wait, wait...) 1990. Grey-black. The salesman who sold it to me had a teenage son who shortly thereafter joined a band you might have heard of. (Dave Matthews Band)

Within a year I traded the CE and a then-current Strat Plus for an emerald green '89 Custom that had been in the shop and never sold. I tried oh so hard to love that Custom. It was my only electric guitar for about a year or so. I swapped pickups. I swapped bridge saddles. I did all kinds of other little things to try to make it work. But it was not to be. I sold it in 1996 and didn't look back...

...until the Modern Eagle came out. (2004) Much better fit for me, and I've bought nearly 20 PRS guitars since then. (although at the moment there are only 5 of 'em in the house)

1991 Custom, Cherry Burst. Bought new the day it came into the shop I hung out at.

Wonderful guitar, but I don't have pics. I traded it in on a new Artist II when they came out, probably 1992 0r 1993. Honestly, I couldn't resist the look of the A-II, but mainly I wanted a 22 fret neck at the time.

Here's a shot of the Artist II, that was my main electric guitar (I also had a Rick and a Strat but hardly played them).

Sadly, I sold it in 1998 in one of my more foolish gear sell-offs:

Last edited:
'99 Custom 22 Artist Package...

CU-22.jpg

For some insane reason, I sold it... Probably when I started collecting the Artist Series guitars...

I played drums for 20 years before playing guitar, so my first one is the 2012 SE CU24 I currently own.

This was my first - a used SE Custom 22 stoptail in Cherry Burst. Heck of a guitar for me at the time, halfway through college. Got a great deal online from Daddy's (RIP), and it was pristine when it arrived. Beautiful axe, and played great. Loved that guitar, lots of gigs and mileage on it. Sad it had to go, but it lead to even better things. It sustained some finish damage on the neck due to a bandmate, and then some more damage when I tried to fix it - not terrible but bad enough to bother me. If I could get it back now, I would have PTC refinish the neck. Crazy, but I didn't have the coin for it at the time and I did like it that much.

23271503654_f7ab1cac92_z.jpg
[/url]

23603973880_059e08ecae_z.jpg

Mine was a 1989 Classic Electric that I picked up second hand in the early nineties. Not the greatest photo, but it's what I have handy:

blueprs2.jpg

Before that guitar I swore I'd never pay more than $1,000 for a guitar. I paid well less than a grand for that guitar, but it woke me up to what the extra money got you, and was the gateway to, ahem, grander things. My next guitar was an '01 Singlecut which I thought was a steal for just over $2K. Damned if Mr. Smith didn't turn me into a collector in the following years!

I let that first one go to a new home this last summer. I find I like the new PRS guitars far better.

Mine was a 2013 SE CU24 in Gray/Black.

DSC_0008_zps37582bf7.jpg

Sold it to get my 30th Anniversary SE CU24 with a quilt top and 59/09's. And now I'm having a very hard time holding back on buying any more. I probably should've just stuck a set of 59's in the Gray/Black... would've saved a lot of money, but what the hell.

Mine was a 1998 CE 24 in emerald green. I think I got it in 2012. I sold it a couple of years later, since I never completely bonded with it. I was able to sell it at a price that covered the initial purchase plus the fret leveling and setup I had had done. Good deal all around :) That sale helped fund my Brent Mason signature. That one may move on soon, since I just got what I probably wanted all along - a custom 24 :). But sometimes there's a journey you need to take, and it's not always a straight line, is it? :-D

Bought a CE24 back in 1998. Cant remember the year it was made. Sold it in 2001 while a poor college kid. Regret it to this day. Just replaced her with a 2013 Studio. LOVE!

A Nick Catanese Sig singlecut. Red flametop with a nekkid ebony board and EMG's? Yes, sir! The perfect no bull**** metal guitar. Anything you can't do on this guitar is either because you haven't practiced enough or you simply don't rock hard enough. A few more have joined the pack since then, but the ET Sig still stands tall.

2003 SE Singlecut Soapbar (in Smokeburst, a weirdly cool color!)

Back