First PRS CE 24 or 25th Anniversary McCarty?

Pickslide33

For my first PRS Im looking at a CE24, but found a listing for a 25th Anniversary McCarty with Narrowfield pickups. I cant try either one first so what would you choose and why?

Get the CE. It’s amazing and so versatile. Plus, it will be factory fresh with the latest pickups. I’ve had mine since October (my first PRS) and play it all the time. I can’t fault it in any way. It does everything I want it to.

plenty of used CE's as well to be had for bargains. Save yourself at least $300-500 off cost of a brand new. Brand new ones tend to have have natural necks; older ones can have satin painted necks.

plenty of used CE's as well to be had for bargains. Save yourself at least $300-500 off cost of a brand new. Brand new ones tend to have have natural necks; older ones can have satin painted necks.

they all have finished necks, the new ones simply have a different finish.

For my first PRS Im looking at a CE24, but found a listing for a 25th Anniversary McCarty with Narrowfield pickups. I cant try either one first so what would you choose and why?

It’s hard to go wrong either way.

It depends whether you like a bolt-on (CE) or set neck (McCarty), and whether you want the very nice and interesting Narrowfield 57/08 pickups, or the more traditional humbuckers. The McCarty will also have more deluxe tuning machines and US hardware, the CE will have Korean. The McCarty body is a bit thicker, which is nice for certain tones. Little things like the Core carve and inlay materials are also a bit different, the McCarty will be real shell inlay. I think the CE will also have a scarf joint attaching the headstock where the McCarty will have a one piece neck (not a big deal, just something to be aware of if that bothers you for some reason).

Both are great, but I’d go with the McCarty, because I like the set neck, thicker body, US hardware, and I also like the Narrowfield 57/08 pickups.

The good news: You can’t blow this decision. Both are terrific instruments, albeit at different price points in the PRS lineup.

they all have finished necks, the new ones simply have a different finish.

Actually the new ones do have unfinished natural necks. I had a 2016 CE24 that had a finished neck and recently got a 2020 CE24 and it has an unfinished neck like a Charvel. Not sure when they first started doing it, but it started at least in 2020. It maybe my favorite neck of all my guitars including my McCarty 594s and Custom 24s. I actually liked the 2016 CE24 with its finish the least.

Actually the new ones do have unfinished natural necks. I had a 2016 CE24 that had a finished neck and recently got a 2020 CE24 and it has an unfinished neck like a Charvel. Not sure when they first started doing it, but it started at least in 2020. It maybe my favorite neck of all my guitars including my McCarty 594s and Custom 24s. I actually liked the 2016 CE24 with its finish the least.

I had a McCarty with a maple neck that felt unfinished, too, but it was what PRS called an infused finish. Maybe Shawn can enlighten us. I don’t believe that PRS is putting unfinished maple out there.

I could be wrong. Hopefully we’ll get the answer soon.

I sold mine because I didn’t like the feel of that neck. Felt like bare wood.

I had a McCarty with a maple neck that felt unfinished, too, but it was what PRS called an infused finish. Maybe Shawn can enlighten us. I don’t believe that PRS is putting unfinished maple out there.

Yeah, it’s their “satin in maple” finish. Feels like bare wood, but it isn’t.

All of us have different hands, different tastes, and we make different choices. There isn't a bad choice to be made regarding these necks, just a matter of personal preference.

I like PRS' Rosewood necks. They feel like velvet. The 'bare feeling' maple necks feel more like a 2x4 to me. But again, that's just me.

Its definitely an unfinished neck and I can feel the knicks on the wood on my guitar which was much different than my 2016 version which was a wood neck, but with the lacquer finish on it. If it does have a lacquer finish, its probably just near the bottom part of the neck and it would have to be the thinnest one ever, because I still feel unfinished wood near the heel. When I brought it from the guitar store I also confirmed with the owner who said they started making the necks unfinished recently. I think if anything, they just polished the wood.

Its definitely an unfinished neck and I can feel the knicks on the wood on my guitar which was much different than my 2016 version which was a wood neck, but with the lacquer finish on it. If it does have a lacquer finish, its probably just near the bottom part of the neck and it would have to be the thinnest one ever, because I still feel unfinished wood near the heel. When I brought it from the guitar store I also confirmed with the owner who said they started making the necks unfinished recently. I think if anything, they just polished the wood.

I think you were given the wrong information. That neck looks exactly like the one I had, only mine was flamed maple instead of plain. Your neck has the infused finish.

You can always ask PRS Customer Service, but I'm pretty certain I'm right.

I've just acquired a new CE24. It's a fantastic instrument and covers everything from hard rock to ambient and roots - you won't regret getting it! The neck seems plain though it's very smooth and very addictive. I'm sure I read somewhere that PRS do treat these necks but can't recall where I saw it; but it's a great player nevertheless.

I think you were given the wrong information. That neck looks exactly like the one I had, only mine was flamed maple instead of plain. Your neck has the infused finish.

You can always ask PRS Customer Service, but I'm pretty certain I'm right.

It may be infused, but its definitely not finished on the back between frets 1 - 12. Makes more sense it may have the finish after the 12th fret where you can see the shine in the picture. I think the finish you're referring to was probably the same type like on my old 2016 CE24. That one had a pretty thick layer of lacquer which is one of the reasons I prefer the newer CE24s. Regardless, I think the 2020+ versions has a "faster" neck if someone is looking for a shreddy type PRS guitar.

It may be infused, but its definitely not finished on the back between frets 1 - 12. Makes more sense it may have the finish after the 12th fret where you can see the shine in the picture. I think the finish you're referring to was probably the same type like on my old 2016 CE24. That one had a pretty thick layer of lacquer which is one of the reasons I prefer the newer CE24s. Regardless, I think the 2020+ versions has a "faster" neck if someone is looking for a shreddy type PRS guitar.

No, I'm not referring to an earlier model. The infused neck is a type of finish. But the important thing is that you're happy with the guitar.

That's all that matters.

Back