First PRS advice

RnT

Hi everyone !
Thanks in advance for reading.
Today I went to a local guitar shop (quite big) in search of my first electrical guitar. I have however played acoustic for quite a while. I did online research but eventually this became too much information and I just went to the store. Tried out different brands but I spotted a very nice looking PRS se Custom in the sales section and just gave it a go since I wanted to try out the brand. It was just over my budget but manageable.

But then I completely fell in love ! The finish was great, action was perfect for me , super comfortable neck just had that feeling with it you know. So I asked the sales man some things about it and he didn't know anything. Not about the wood, pickups etc. But still it sounded great. Only question he could ask is how old the guitar is on which he replied "13 years".

So home I did some research, found out I played a se custom 22 from 2007. Since non of the other guitars I tried were as comfortable and playable as the PRS I have decided to go for a guitar of this brand. I also really like the look. How do you feel about buying a 13 year old guitar? Is the quality considerately lower? The guitar had the same price as a PRS SE Standard has.

I find myself contemplating between the different options:
- Buying the 2007.
- Buying and SE standard.
- Saving more and buying an SE custom.

How do you feel like the standard compares to the custom? I have read different things, like it's supposed to only be the looks that are different but they do come from completely different factories with supposedly a less detailed and good feeling finishing? Will I find what I found in a 13 year old custom in a today's standard?

Thank you in advance. I appreciate it.

Kind Regards,

Arnout

Last edited:
But then I completely fell in love ! The finish was great, action was perfect for me , super comfortable neck just had that feeling with it you know. So I asked the sales man some things about it and he didn't know anything. Not about the wood, pickups etc. But still it sounded great. Only question he could ask is how old the guitar is on which he replied "13 years".

So home I did some research, found out I played a se custom 22 from 2007. Since non of the other guitars I tried were as comfortable and playable as the PRS I have decided to go for a guitar of this brand. I also really like the look. How do you feel about buying a 13 year old guitar? Is the quality considerately lower? The guitar had the same price as a PRS SE Standard has.
My only suggestion would be not to let them know how much you like it and say" Well, it's 13 years old. Why don't we work out a better price?"

The guitar does really speak to me although i also wouldn’t mind the bird inlay. The guitar is in new shape. I tried to get the best deal possible and they weren’t prepared to lower the price even if that meant me walking right out of the store. But i can always try extra.
Here is a picture. Maybe i should have stated that this isn’t pre-owned what so ever. Just been hanging in the store for 13 years and the body is truly flawless.
Thanks for welcoming me!

i guess what held me back was the age, thinking it would be a bad deal. But then my mind just takes over thinking it suddenly becomes a 13 year old pre-owned guitar while i should let my emotions decide. I would also be scared that it will be vulnerable to wear and tear. Does storing the guitar away for this long affect the electronics in any way?
Thanks to everyone for commenting.

i will share a picture once i have enough posts to share a link

The guitar does really speak to me although i also wouldn’t mind the bird inlay. The guitar is in new shape. I tried to get the best deal possible and they weren’t prepared to lower the price even if that meant me walking right out of the store. But i can always try extra.
Here is a picture. Maybe i should have stated that this isn’t pre-owned what so ever. Just been hanging in the store for 13 years and the body is truly flawless.
Thanks for welcoming me!

i guess what held me back was the age, thinking it would be a bad deal. But then my mind just takes over thinking it suddenly becomes a 13 year old pre-owned guitar while i should let my emotions decide. I would also be scared that it will be vulnerable to wear and tear. Does storing the guitar away for this long affect the electronics in any way?

Just one more post to go!

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to your New Guitar Day post!

A very similar SE Custom was my first PRS. It was a great guitar, if I could fault it for anything, it was only that the pickups were so-so. But it was a great guitar. I would actually prefer one of that age to a new one, I like mahogany necks (the new ones are maple) and the toggle switch over the blade. If you liked the guitar and can afford it, I say go for it.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation as the OP.

I'm looking to get my first PRS and am trying to decided if I should go with a new SE24 Standard or a used SE24 Custom. Ultimately if I can find a good looking used one, that is almost certainly the way I'll go as used tends to give much more bang for the buck.

From my initial look, it seems like Guitar Center is the best way to go when it comes to selection. Would love to hear any suggestions/recommendations!

I've never owned an SE, so I can't say from direct experience, but the several 2007 and older PRS guitars I have are all first rate and gig-ready today. Two of them are my main gigging guitars. You can forget about the age, it's pretty much a non-factor if the guitar is in great shape. As for price, search Reverb or other outlets and compare to see if what they were offering is fair. You can even use that as a bit of leverage if the dealer really wants a sale. On the other hand, one of the best things about PRS guitars is that you can count on any of them playing comparably, so if you find that guitar somewhere else for a better price, chances are extremely good you'd like it just as much.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for welcoming me!

Certainly a free set of strings and a strap wouldn't be out of order.

Welcome aboard, or abroad if the case may be.

I'm looking to get my first PRS and am trying to decided if I should go with a new SE24 Standard or a used SE24 Custom. Ultimately if I can find a good looking used one, that is almost certainly the way I'll go as used tends to give much more bang for the buck.

From my initial look, it seems like Guitar Center is the best way to go when it comes to selection. Would love to hear any suggestions/recommendations!
My own experience is that GC tends to overstate condition.
I would try Reverb myself.

Even though i bought my first SE through eBay, everything else after (3 of them) has been through Reverb. Their guarantees are better than eBay, and you can tell if you are buying from a dealer or joe bloe oldown the road.

Happy hunting:D

I've messaged with someone who is somewhat local that has a SE22 Custom on Craigslist for a pretty good price. It's got a few dings, but again is priced well. I've pretty much always played on a 22, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I've messaged with someone who is somewhat local that has a SE22 Custom on Craigslist for a pretty good price. It's got a few dings, but again is priced well. I've pretty much always played on a 22, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Look at it this way ... if it was a "relic'd" strat they'd be charging you extra for those dings.

Look at it this way ... if it was a "relic'd" strat they'd be charging you extra for those dings.

I'll give him some more time, but he may have gone silent on me. As I was arranging to go check it out tomorrow he said that he doesn't currently have an amp and can meet me at a local store (public space which I'm good with). I told him that was not a problem and I could bring my old Line 6 Pod to check out the electronics as long as we go somewhere with an outlet.

I'm not ruling anything out yet, but this may end up being a case of things were looking too good to be true...

Thank you all again for responding and welcome bucketfoot. It is indeed a hard decision to make.

i am from the Netherlands, so hence i was able to get in a guitar store. Also there was literally no one else, and the salesperson just let me do my thing and we communicated from a bit of distance haha.

if indeed all newer models have maple necks then the 2007 would be preferable since i also like a mahogany neck more. But overall the guitar was just great.

Thank you for the advice RickP and Tucson Thump. You both made some great points.

After a night sleep i think i am just overthinking it and should just go with it. Chances probably are indeed that i might pickup any other prs and like it just as much, but if i wouldn’t like it better, the 2007 is a pretty fair deal.

and indeed i should try to get atleast a free strap (although i don’t plan on gigging haha).

thank you all for your objective and helpfull comments and for welcoming me.

This is so true ;):D. The 2007 just happens to be ‘brand new’ atleast not pre-owned. But i wouldn’t mind a pre owned one coming from a dealer. I always hesitate to buy from private owners since i’d just rather pay a bit more and be worry free.

have you already played both the se standard and the se custom? Also share a picture of the guitar on craigslist. Personally don’t mind a few dings as long as it plays and is comfortable but if you know yourself as a person who will mind it for the rest of your life if you look at it. Don’t do it. Just save up more.

Back