First post...Strat to PRS

pgj

First post here. I am a decent beginner player who has a musical background in other instruments...mostly trumpet and bass guitar. I bought my first electric guitar about a year ago, a 2006 MiM Strat, which I love. Lately I've had the itch to get my first actual new guitar. I was considering the Fender Sixty-Six, basically a Strat style with a Jazz Bass body. But at $900, I think I'm going to move on. Which brings me to the PRS.

Saw a PRS SE Standard 24 in a local shop and kind of fell in love with the looks. And at $499 it is right in my sweet spot for budget. I am pretty set on getting one, but someone on the Strat forum said I might not like the 24 frets. Honestly, I'm not experienced or skilled enough to really know what I prefer. Is it noticeable going from a 22 fret Strat to a 24 fret PRS? I haven't played a PRS yet and the closest shop is way on the other side of town. Will hopefully get over there next weekend. In the meantime...is it a big deal going from a Strat to a PRS?

You're really not going to know until you play it. Some people are tremendously picky about the way a neck feels and only want one flavor. Others don't mind different neck specs and can go from guitar to guitar without any issues. It's all about the way you play. There absolutely is a difference in feel and tone from a 22 fret neck to a 24 fret neck. Only you can decide if one is "right" for you.

Play as many guitars as you can, because they all feel different (even the same model with the same neck specs will have something that feels a little different). Eventually, you'll find something that feels like "home".

No, it's not a big deal to switch from a Strat to something else. You can make it a big deal if you want, but realistically it's not. It's all about your preferences and what you get comfortable with.

You're really not going to know until you play it. Some people are tremendously picky about the way a neck feels and only want one flavor. Others don't mind different neck specs and can go from guitar to guitar without any issues. It's all about the way you play. There absolutely is a difference in feel and tone from a 22 fret neck to a 24 fret neck. Only you can decide if one is "right" for you.

Play as many guitars as you can, because they all feel different (even the same model with the same neck specs will have something that feels a little different). Eventually, you'll find something that feels like "home".

No, it's not a big deal to switch from a Strat to something else. You can make it a big deal if you want, but realistically it's not. It's all about your preferences and what you get comfortable with.

Thanks. Hopefully I can get over to the store this weekend and try one out. At this point in my playing I really don't have a tone that I prefer...however I do like the sound of humbuckers. Sounds more rock and roll to me than the Strat's single coil. Listened to a video of a guy comparing 22 and 24 fret PRS guitars and I couldn't tell the difference.

Last edited:
As noted, trying different guitars is the best scenario. Just stick to songs you know, try a bunch, pause for a day or two, then try them all again. Switching between my Silver Sky or my Strat to my Standard 24 is less noticeable to me than picking up my Les Paul, which after several years still feels a bit cramped to me with it’s shorter scale length (a great guitar that I just sold as I never bonded with it). Yet others may say they prefer the shorter scale Les Paul to a longer scale Strat. If there was one perfect guitar for everyone we’d just be sitting around arguing which color is better. Bottom line, take any internet advice with a grain of salt - only you can decide what’s right for you.

If you search around here there’s a few threads on the sonic differences between the two (basically the pickups are closer together on the 24). Some say 22 is vintage and 24 is more modern, but I see it as 2 variations of good!

I know it’s tougher to fully realize the differences after only a year, it took my a solid couple of years to figure that out for myself. Perhaps the best thing I ever did was chain myself to a Strat and a Les Paul for roughly a year and a half. After that it was easy to pick up most any guitar and quickly know if I loved the feel or not. YMMV.

Also - that itch to buy a new guitar you mentioned - it NEVER goes away!

The 24 frets does not change the length of the neck out of the guitar. It changes the location of the neck pickup. So you aren't going to be playing a longer neck. I teach a 13 year old who is playing a SE custom 24. He loves it. If you like the SE, you will have no trouble playing it.

The 24 frets does not change the length of the neck out of the guitar. It changes the location of the neck pickup. So you aren't going to be playing a longer neck. I teach a 13 year old who is playing a SE custom 24. He loves it. If you like the SE, you will have no trouble playing it.

That is good. I was wondering if things would be out of wack a bit switching between completely different necks.

There’s a noticeable difference. I have an SE custom 24 and S2 standard 22 and the 22 is an easily smaller guitar. The position of my arm on the first fret of each feels different.

-k

@pgj As a former trumpet & bass player, Welcome! (I chose those instruments because 3-valves / 4 strings) :D

You’re overthinking it. You *have*to try the guitar to see if feels right. Grab it & throw down a few chords. If it doesn’t feel better than what you already have, then don’t get it (I have 7 Fender guitars & 8 PRS, so I can appreciate where you’re coming from and where you’re likely to go to).

Enjoy your shopping experience!

There’s a noticeable difference. I have an SE custom 24 and S2 standard 22 and the 22 is an easily smaller guitar. The position of my arm on the first fret of each feels different.

-k
That’s psychosomatic. @AP515 knows what he’s talking about...and I can back it up. I swap between 22 and 24 fret guitars about 10 times per gig with zero issue.

I have no problems transitioning from 22 to 24 frets guitars. The 24 feels slightly different to the 22 fret Zach Myers. If your sitting down it does feel like your hand position is slightly more to the left and a little more comfortable to play. To be honest I'm not sure if that's down to the shape of the guitar making the guitar sit back to the right a bit. I know that a Les Paul sits back on your lap and the Zach Myers is also a single cut so that might be the reason more than the neck itself.

The 24 fret will sound a bit brighter than a 22 fret CU because the bridge pickup is moved back a bit to compensate for the extra frets which means they are closer together. Some people don't like that as much and prefer the slightly more mellow 22.

I've played Tele's and Strats since the early 80's and a few years ago was looking at humbucker guitars.
On a lark, I tried an SE Custom 24. My initial thoughts were that it hung like a Strat (very comfy) and had
Tele like controls (3 way pickup switch/1 volume and 1 tone control). The 24 fret neck seemed very similar
to the feel of the Strat as to where your hand naturally gravitated on the neck. I've since gotten an SE Custom 22 semi hollow
which I like, but the placement of the neck pickup on it and the slight overall length difference makes the 22 fret guitar seem too
compact compared to the Custom 24.
I've since picked up a Core (American made) Custom 24 that's an absolute killer guitar. In spite of this new Custom 24, my SE's still
get plenty of playing time.
For the money, the SE's are a great bargain. Some of the newer ones seem to have better pickups. Mine are several years old with the
HFS pickups which are pretty hot. I ended up swapping the stock pickups for Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers which made good guitars into
great guitars.
resized_20191203_183650-jpeg.369663

Picture is my first SE (Custom 24) after the Seymour Duncan pickup swap and the "twin" I found recently, which is an SE 245 in the same finish.

Reactions: pgj
First post here. I am a decent beginner player who has a musical background in other instruments...mostly trumpet and bass guitar. I bought my first electric guitar about a year ago, a 2006 MiM Strat, which I love. Lately I've had the itch to get my first actual new guitar. I was considering the Fender Sixty-Six, basically a Strat style with a Jazz Bass body. But at $900, I think I'm going to move on. Which brings me to the PRS.

Saw a PRS SE Standard 24 in a local shop and kind of fell in love with the looks. And at $499 it is right in my sweet spot for budget. I am pretty set on getting one, but someone on the Strat forum said I might not like the 24 frets. Honestly, I'm not experienced or skilled enough to really know what I prefer. Is it noticeable going from a 22 fret Strat to a 24 fret PRS? I haven't played a PRS yet and the closest shop is way on the other side of town. Will hopefully get over there next weekend. In the meantime...is it a big deal going from a Strat to a PRS?

Hey Pgj, I saw your post on this over on Strat Talk too. I’m the one who mentioned the 24 frets. 24 fret neck is a bit longer than a 22 fret even though the scale length is the same. Makes first position chords a touch further reach. I say you need to play one to see what you think. I returned a SE CU 24 this summer because I could not get along with the neck but I love my CU 22 and Silver Sky. Like I mentioned there in my experience PRS are better across all lines than any other guitar maker. Get one, you won’t regret it.

Hey Pgj, I saw your post on this over on Strat Talk too. I’m the one who mentioned the 24 frets. 24 fret neck is a bit longer than a 22 fret even though the scale length is the same. Makes first position chords a touch further reach.
We get folks around here all the time who believe this, but it isn't true. The neck is the same. The extra two frets push the neck pickup closer to the bridge pickup. That is the only difference. Boogie is correct, it can feel like there is a difference, but a tape measure will show you there isn't.

That's the cool thing about where you are now - you don't know what you like or prefer. I was the same way back in my first years. I just played whatever I could get my hands on. It helped me a lot as I can switch between my CU24 or CE24 to my McCarty or DGT with ease. And then there's the acoustic. I grab the guitar that fits my ears for the song and my body adjusts.And I'm going to be eyeballing Silver Skys at Experience this year as I haven't had my hands on one yet and I want a strat style again.

Reactions: pgj
Back