First post from a beginner

scootersite

Hello PRS People,

I'm new to PRS, in fact I'm new to guitar. I just got a SE Custom 24 in Vintage Sunburst so I wanted to introduce myself and say hi.
I recently gave up dirt bike riding and my kids decided I needed a new hobby. Knowing how much I love music, they bought me a guitar for Christmas. It's an inexpensive Charvel Desolation 3 (Les Paul style). I've been banging on that since Christmas and really having fun trying to learn how to play. Last week I stopped by my local Guitar Center to buy some picks and left with this beautiful creature........I'm hooked! I can't play worth a lick but I sure have one pretty guitar. Even if I never learn how to play I can see a wall full of these things in my future.
My question is what other guitars would have a similar neck to the SE 24? My plan was to keep the Charvel for practice and leave the SE hanging on the wall most of the time. The problem is the necks of the 2 guitars are so different that when I pick up the SE after banging on the Charvel I can't do anything with it.
I've seen some good deals on eBay on used Tremontis and SE 245's and I'm wondering if they'd have the same neck feel as the SE? I'm also looking at some used Gibson LPJ's (I like that worn look). I'd like to get something that I'm comfotable banging on but is similar enough that I could still play the SE once in a while. Also fwiw, I think the Charvel sounds very nice. To my inexperienced ears it sounds richer than the SE.
Any suggestions? Also any general advice or practice tips for an absolute beginner guitarist would be appreciated.
Thanx,

Doug (future rock star)

What's up with the black finger tips?

Hi Doug!

First of all, your first post and you're breaking the unwritten forum rule... all NGD's (new guitar day) must be accompanied by pictures!!! We want to see that beautiful beast! :)

Seriously though, welcome. Look for any SE model that has a wide thin neck profile, and it will be similar to your guitar. The Tremonti Custom, for example, would be a good contrast to your current guitar, but it has the same neck shape.

If you want to learn, do a little of everything. Try some lessons, get a couple of books, and make sure to learn some music that you WANT to play.

PS, to post pictures, put them on a hosting site like Flickr or photobucket, and insert them in your thread in this format:

Welcome! My first thought is that you should play your Custom 24 more often than you are considering (if indeed you dig the sound). Sure they're pretty, but they're also great guitars that deserve to be played. I just got my first PRS and I'm really struggling with the same issue: it's so nice I'm afraid of it! Fortunately, I am winning the battle:)

If the Charvel sounds richer than your SE and you wish to play the SE more, you can switch out the pups to something you like. Most of the singlecuts come with Wide Fat necks, while the SE Custom comes with a Wide Thin. You have to go pick one up to feel it. It's thicker than the Wide Thin, really meaty and chunky without feeling like a baseball bat. A bit like, in between the Gibson 50s and 60s neck but with a shape akin to Fender necks. Paul's all about middle-of-the-road things, which makes PRS guitars really versatile and unique in their own way.

You should play the SE more, it's supposed to be played as a guitar, not hanged as a Mona Lisa. :laugh: I used to worried about the finish getting dinged, until one time I accidentally hit the input jack on the guitar top, and there was a dent on the previously mirror-like surface. That was it, I've been playing it really hard and don't care how many pick scratches I put on it. It's holding up really well and I couldn't be more glad to play it. So, play it! It's an instrument, not a museum artwork. :top:

The black fingertips are probably from corrosion on your strings. Have the strings turned black? (especially the plain ones.) They should be wiped down after every playing session--that will help them hold their tone longer as well. You might also try a set of coated strings--they're a little more expensive but they last a lot longer (as long as you don't break one). I use Elixirs, but there are several other good brands out there.

Thanks for the tips, I guess I'll start banging on the SE and not worry too much about messing it up. I'll keep searching eBay for a second one.
Any suggestions as to what to watch out for when buying a used one?
I've been looking through this forum at some of your guitars and all I can say is that PRS really puts out some beautiful guitars!
Cheers

I don't want to break the rules so I'll post a pic when I get home.:408mt:

My vote is to say 'screw it' and play the SE Cu 24. That's what it was made for!! I'm a beginner myself, with a USA Cu 24, and I'm playing the hell out of it!

BTW, if your schedule or budget does not permit live, in person lessons, I would like to highly recommend Gibson's learn and master guitar course. I am in the early stages, but it is excellent in teaching both theory and playing! (Not a paid endorser, just an impartial observer!)

I understand you wanting to just put it on the wall and stare at it. It's so purdy!

But, can't you hear it sobbing just a little? It wants to be played!

If you were dating Christy Brinkley, you wouldn't keep her in a glass box would ya? Billy Joel did and look where it got him!

I am also new to the PRS world. I have been drooling over them for years and just recently purchased a used custom 24. I would also say play the PRS. My other guitars are collecting dust now.

One thing I would recommend would be to check out a game called Rocksmith 2014. Its looks very similar to guitar hero, but you use a real guitar to learn the songs. It has got me back into playing so much that I was willing to spend the money on a USA custom.

Here are a few picks on my new baby
0LZCjdY.jpg

PMuJG5g.jpg

Here is a link to the full album
http://imgur.com/a/qszRL/embed

If the offer still stands..................I'll take Christy and definitely no box for her!

Here's my new girl::::

100_0328.jpg

Last edited:
I wager in three months the Charvel will be gathering dust and the SE will be famous for being the beast you learned to play guitar on. :wink:

Hello PRS People,

Any suggestions? Also any general advice or practice tips for an absolute beginner guitarist would be appreciated.
Thanx,

Doug (future rock star)

What's up with the black finger tips?

Here is something to think about.

It is a good idea, according to many players, to plan to spend as much on an amp as you do on your guitar.

With this in mind, you might want to consider getting a very decent amp, maybe a tube amp, as an upgrade from the one you now have if it is not an awesome amp.

An awesome really half way decent amp will make your guitars sound super great compared to a mediocre less than half way decent amp. By half way decent I mean that when considering amps a lot is relative. There are affordable but costly amps and there are super expensive amps. A half way decent one is probably not going to be cheap, in all probability. Maybe not too expensive, but not cheap.

Just something to think about. Do your guitar a favor unless you already have an awesome amp.

Back