First major ding on a 13 yr old McCarty

Parralax view

I'm not pleased with myself. I could handle the dog, or the cat dumping it over or something, but in a fit of Natural Light..:p, I dropped a stand on it on the lower bout and it hit the scrap binding, but luckily not the color finish itself. Took the poly off down to the wood in a small area. Knowing that PRS finishes are very hard, I was going to live with my stupidity, but there was a freshly laundered towel waiting to be folded on the couch. So while watching my 'Boys lose another one, I rubbed, and I rubbed, it got hot and the heat and friction took away almost all of the ding. It isn't noticable now, but I know it's there, now so do you...;) Lesson learned. I never case any of my instruments, they hang in their own cabinet in a bedroom, but 13 yrs. of pristine just went out the window, time to really play her now!!....

Good run.

You do know that the PTC can completely fix the ding and make the guitar look like brand new again, right?

It's like having your very own "Personal Screwup Eraser." They have your back when it comes to your PRS.

C'mon man! Live with it. It's like a dent on a pickup truck. It isn't really a truck unless it shows some wear. Be proud, and show it for what it is.

Good run.

You do know that the PTC can completely fix the ding and make the guitar look like brand new again, right?

It's like having your very own "Personal Screwup Eraser." They have your back when it comes to your PRS.

Yeah, I've heard of their service, except I live in Honolulu, literally across the ocean and the continent. The cost would be astronomical. If it was reasonable, I would send it, but it's not.

The more the merrier! Just kidding. It'll be OK. The first one's the worst. Sh!t happens sometimes.

My main electric PRSi (right now) is my P24. I gig with it, probably three times a month, plus weekly band practice, plus playing at home. I certainly expected it to get some dings in short order, and I now have a slight ding on the lower bass bout right at where the top and side meets. But that's OK, you can't see it unless you look really hard for it, I mostly notice it by feel (and I have to consciously feel for it).

I figure if my main axe is pristine after 4 or 5 years, it isn't my main axe, it is just a case queen and I must be playing something else.

heck, I buy almost all of my PRSi used, and they tend to come not mint (but pretty close sometimes!). A ding or mark here or there is part of what makes it a tool and not just a piece of art (although PRSi make might fine pieces of art!).

I think PTC is way underrated in the guitar world. How many major manufacturers offer such a service? I think the very existence of PTC is bordering on miraculous.

I just wonder how they would fix a small chip/ding right on the edge of the scrap binding. If its right at the edge of the body, then it's really a corner and not a flat surface. Would they sand down a large patch and then spray nitro over it, or just do a drop fill. I don't see how you'd re-achieve the original edge/corner if you drop fill.

I think they offer different options, at different prices. They'll tell you what the best repair would be, etc.

14 years ago, Jack Gretz drop-filled a very deep chip on the edge of the scraped binding on my old CU22 Soapbar, and I mean it was a nasty ding. If memory serves, he was able to steam out the ding and re-create the original corner. Afterward, you literally couldn't tell it was there. And that was with the old Poly finish, which is tough to repair compared to nitro.

So I'm sure it can be done.

However, the best repair will depend on the guitar and its unique issue, right?

Yeah, I've recovered and gotten over it. I pulled it down last night and gave it a good cleaning and some us time playing it. The ding seems inconsequential now, but I have rubbed it down to just a ripple in the scrape binding. Luck has it that like the poster above mentioned, it dinged so cleanly between the scrape binding and the actual mahogany lower bout that it is almost invisible when viewed along with the other stripe ends where the binding follows the pattern of the wood in light and dark, you can't tell the difference now. But it is what it is and it's a great guitar.

Back