First Jam Cave

Ryan Murphy

Stares at bright lights
Just recently bought my first house. Its not much but hopefully next winter I'll be able to finish the basement and get an actual recording studio up and running so I can write some crappy songs for my mom to put on her fridge.

I really dig the look of this jam space. One of our first practice spaces was in a warehouse that distributed aluminum. There was something about the raw material, cinder block walls, and hard floors that, I don't know, sparked some sort of creativity in me....got me excited to create music. It wasn't the best in terms of sound quality (sound bounced everywhere in that place) and the temperature was always one extreme or the other depending on the season, but something about that warehouse really stuck with me when thinking about my musical journey.

Anyways, your basement photo kinda gave me that feeling again.

Congrats on your new house and best of luck jamming in your new space!

Nice! Congrats on the new house. Great thing about that space; you don't have to undo what someone already did. Fresh canvas. Have fun building that out!

Go Blackhawks!
actually he did quite a bit of electrical work himself that is shoddy at best. some of it im suprised didnt get pinged by FHA

That pic looks earthy and cool, like it should be an album cover!

Here’s my ‘basement studio free tip of the day’:

Basements can get musty, but keeping the air moving a little, and using a HEPA filter, will cure it. From long experience, I can recommend both the Blue Air and Dyson air purifiers. On their normal low settings they’re nearly silent, too. I run mine 24/7, and have had zero musty odor since discovering this 15 years ago.

Most HEPA filters are too noisy, but these brands are quiet enough for studio use. My current one is a Dyson HEPA filter with heater/fan combination, it helps kill basement chilliness as well. It never gets hot enough for the fan to turn on in my Michigan basement, though!

Basements can get musty, but keeping the air moving a little, and using a HEPA filter, will cure it. From long experience, I can recommend both the Blue Air and Dyson air purifiers. On their normal low settings they’re nearly silent, too. I run mine 24/7, and have had zero musty odor since discovering this 15 years ago.

Most HEPA filters are too noisy, but these brands are quiet enough for studio use. My current one is a Dyson HEPA filter with heater/fan combination, it helps kill basement chilliness as well. It never gets hot enough for the fan to turn on in my Michigan basement, though!

So the fan's on a thermostat? Can you just turn it on manually? I have a little space heater that warms my recording area fairly nicely, but it's too loud to have on to record (unless I'm going direct).

So the fan's on a thermostat? Can you just turn it on manually? I have a little space heater that warms my recording area fairly nicely, but it's too loud to have on to record (unless I'm going direct).
Dysons are stand alone units and have built in controls

I suspect the heater is on a thermostat, because it's an air purifier primarily it's probably always running the fan.

I think you may have just sold me something I wasn't even thinking of...

Back