First gig with S2 Singlecut

Barquentine

I've had this guitar for around a month. Done a few rehearsals but had it's first gig this weekend. Just superb - it sounds and plays amazing. I wasn't wild about the pickups so it now has a set of Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells transplanted from another guitar. This is a match made in heaven. This, to me, is exactly what a guitar should sound like. Plenty of cut but no icepick and a low end that punches you in the gut.

It's beautifully put together and it's SO easy to play. The neck is really comfortable and the weight is just right. I've never had locking tuners before - they make changing strings a doddle and the tuning stability is astonishing. I usually check my tuning between sets but I didn't bother on Saturday because I knew it hadn't moved.

PRS guitars have gone up in price a lot in the UK. Andertons were knocking the S2 out cheap because apparently the metallic colours didn't sell well - mine is 'Frost Green' and I love it. I got this for the same price the Bernie re-issues are going for - £799.

I still love my Bernie which is an incredible guitar and I feel lucky to have two really great PRSi. I can't begin to imagine what the core model singlecuts are like. Am I missing out ?

Am I missing out ?

Guess this is a blue pill or red pill moment...

Put some locking tuners on your Bernie and it’s tuning will also be as solid as a rock. Mine hardly needs to be tuned even when playing nightly.

That being said, my older Standard 24 is a definite step up in quality. Not sure if it is three times better than a Bernie, but it just feels as if it was built to tighter tolerances. That being said though, the Bernie has the nicer neck which is why it is currently still my most played guitar.

What tuners did you put on your Bernie ?

Gotoh SD90MG. The cheapest locking Gotohs that are a direct fit and are available locally. Definitely an upgrade over stock. You can also order them directly from Japan and then specify which locking method you prefer. The standard locking tuner can be a little counterintuitive, but it works quite well. Took me a while to figure out that you need about 20 turns before the string gets locked, but that was the biggest hurdle with them.

If you want other tuners then John Mann’s also get good reviews. Just difficult to get them to the EU at a decent price.

Gotoh SD90MG. The cheapest locking Gotohs that are a direct fit and are available locally. Definitely an upgrade over stock. You can also order them directly from Japan and then specify which locking method you prefer. The standard locking tuner can be a little counterintuitive, but it works quite well. Took me a while to figure out that you need about 20 turns before the string gets locked, but that was the biggest hurdle with them. involved.

If you want other tuners then John Mann’s also get good reviews. Just difficult to get them to the EU at a decent price.

I don't understand the 20 turns. With the S2 you thread the string through the post, tighten the screw and you're done apart from tuning up. No turns involved.

The Gotohs I installed have no screw. Once a string is threaded through the post hole, you tune up with the tuners to get the locking mechanism to clamp down on the string. It usually takes about 20 turns to get this to work and thereafter they function the same as regular locking tuners. Not an issue, just something that had me scratching my head until I figured it out.

These were the ones I found at the big German online stores. However, you can order from Gotoh directly and they have different options available that weren’t available locally. Probably not worth the hassle and extra expense...

Yes, those are the ones. I find that the slot at the top works well for releasing the strings, but not that well for locking them. That slot is on the post itself, so the string hole turns when you try and turn the slot.

Here is a video that shows how well it works in practice, since I believe I need help with my explanations...as you can see, it requires quite a few turns before the string is locked in place.

I can't get enough of my S2's. The neck shape is so good for smaller hands (or any hands). Slightly more petite than W/F, not as flat on the back as W/T, while they're all very close to each other I like the S2 carve best.

And, yeah, they're just workhorses. The attention to detail that other companies skip on "budget" USA made guitars is what makes the grade, things like fretwork, tuners, nut, setup, nice straight necks. I like SE's a lot, but now that I've tried the S2's and they can be found for a little more (or the same if you find a good used deal), I have a hard time wanting more SE's. Well, with the exception of a ZM, and maybe a CR sig if America ever gets its crap together! But, I have one of the S2 Satin 22's, once you get over the lack of a fancy figured top, it's all there, and for only about 20% more than a nice SE. That's a hell of a lot of guitar for not a lot of money. Honestly, after experiencing the guitar, I would take the stripped down aesthetic all day because of how great the guitar feels and sounds. Now, if they would just make more Miras in Satin finish...

I've heard people say that PRS guitars sound "dull" compared to other brands, but I think the reality is the attention to things like properly dried wood, hard and thin resonant finishes, nut and bridge materials, make the guitars much more resonant in the bass frequencies. But, compensate the EQ on your amp, and that's your gut punching lows that you're talking about! I always find myself trimming some bass out when I'm playing my PRS axes vs other brands.

Anyways, glad you're loving your S2 as much as I do!

I agree with Andy, the S2s are incredible and my Satin 22 gets more play than my Core its just rips and I love the Satin neck!

It would take me a long time to get the cash together for a core model. I love my Bernie and my S2 and plenty of folks on this forum say they play their Bernie/S2 more than their core models. Should I just call it a day ?

Don’t own a S2, but have serious GAS for a Black S2 Singlecut Standard Satin. Have a look gumtree for some bargains, and yes, there are old Standards selling for S2 prices on occasion.

Whether or not it is worth, would depend on you. A fully modded SE can cost just as much as a new S2 Standard. For slightly more (or sometimes the same), you can get a used Core which includes a case.

However, even with all of the above I still have GAS for the S2 as mentioned above. They are great guitars in their own right and I love both the vibe and price point.

I had serious gas for an S2 singlecut standard in gloss black. So I finally got it. The neck pup was great for clean deep glassy tones but was too garbled and muddy to use alone or with the treble pickup along with any dirt. So at first I tried a Seymour Duncan sh2n jazz pup but the output was kinda weak. So I ended up just flipping the neck pup so the pole pieces are closest to the bridge. And now it's yeah not so so deep clean but it's overall much more Less Paul sounding. It's my main guitar now.

The Gotohs I installed have no screw. Once a string is threaded through the post hole, you tune up with the tuners to get the locking mechanism to clamp down on the string. It usually takes about 20 turns to get this to work and thereafter they function the same as regular locking tuners. Not an issue, just something that had me scratching my head until I figured it out.

These were the ones I found at the big German online stores. However, you can order from Gotoh directly and they have different options available that weren’t available locally. Probably not worth the hassle and extra expense...

I had a set of these on my Mccarty and didn't like them. I think I gave them away. I got a set of klusons lockers from Mann.

Like you, I have an S2 SC, a Bernie and a few more singlecuts - Tremonti SE and 2 core (SC Trem and 594 SC). I love them all and their unique in their own way (also installed a set of Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells on my Bernie) and feel I don't "leave anything behind" if I only bring my S2 and Bernie.
Yeah, the cores have their mojo but I don't bring them... and knowing some of the places we play, I don't lose sleep over "is she going to get dinged/damaged/stolen"? I also upgraded my S2 SC with luminlay side markers and didn't feel any remorse or fear of value loss. These are "working" guitars. I leave my cores at home and occasionally bring to practice but I'm not left lacking at the gig.

As always, give a core a try and see if you get hooked. Maybe a used Ted is in your future...

I had serious gas for an S2 singlecut standard in gloss black. So I finally got it. The neck pup was great for clean deep glassy tones but was too garbled and muddy to use alone or with the treble pickup along with any dirt. So at first I tried a Seymour Duncan sh2n jazz pup but the output was kinda weak. So I ended up just flipping the neck pup so the pole pieces are closest to the bridge. And now it's yeah not so so deep clean but it's overall much more Less Paul sounding. It's my main guitar now.
So I switched the neck pup back to normal the clean tone is just too good. I think I was chasing the tone of the middle position of a lp I had. Turns out I can get that sound on just the bridge #7 alone. Guitar players ARE mental. Duh.

Like you, I have an S2 SC, a Bernie and a few more singlecuts - Tremonti SE and 2 core (SC Trem and 594 SC). I love them all and their unique in their own way (also installed a set of Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells on my Bernie) and feel I don't "leave anything behind" if I only bring my S2 and Bernie.
Yeah, the cores have their mojo but I don't bring them... and knowing some of the places we play, I don't lose sleep over "is she going to get dinged/damaged/stolen"? I also upgraded my S2 SC with luminlay side markers and didn't feel any remorse or fear of value loss. These are "working" guitars. I leave my cores at home and occasionally bring to practice but I'm not left lacking at the gig.

As always, give a core a try and see if you get hooked. Maybe a used Ted is in your future...

Don't you feel that you're missing something by not gigging with your core models ? My S2 sounds great at home through my practice amps but ten times better through my gigging amp. If I had a core model I'd feel compelled to take it to gigs but would probably spend all night standing guard over it.

Once you start gigging core, it's hard to go back...

I bought mine to play. Private Stock might stay home most nights if I ever get one, but not core!

Rock on!!!

I only gig with my core models with one exception - if I think my guitar will sit in my car unattended for any period of time.
In that case I take my strat - my most replaceable guitar.
Thankfully I've not had to put myself in this position in a few years now.

Back