First ever spalted maple top PRS

Sweet! I’ve never owned a spalted top. How does it affect the tone? Is it different from regular maple?

It depends who you ask Rick. It’s softer/punkier due to the condition of the wood, but big leaf maple is softer that eastern maple and no one talks about tonal differences. So, not to my ears. Pickups and amps make much more difference.

It depends who you ask Rick. It’s softer/punkier due to the condition of the wood, but big leaf maple is softer that eastern maple and no one talks about tonal differences. So, not to my ears. Pickups and amps make much more difference.
That makes sense. I’ve always thought it was one of the more interesting wood looks.

Last edited:
Were you aware at the time, and know it was something special to do stuff like supplying woods and all?

Paul, absolutely! That’s why I was having quite a few built back then. I still have a stash of figured wood, and some of the smaller builders still let me submit it. I always had the mutual understanding that the builder was risk-free if my wood was damaged in the process.

Last edited:
Back