First ever guitar NGD for my 9 year old

Cbouty

Today was my son’s 9th birthday. He’s been taking piano lessons for the past 3 years (mom plays the piano)and has been drewling over my guitars for a while. It was time.

Took him with me to Guitar Center a few months back to see if he was strong/big enough yet. Just put about 20 guitars in his hands and even though he couldnt play a note, just asked him what felt comfortable. I debated a 3/4 scale, but found out that a 22 fret guitar fit him pretty well. He kept telling me he liked the feel and look of a few singlecut epiphones, but they were really heavy and I new that wouldnt be fun for 65lb soon to be 9 year old.

I found a just under 7lb, 2010 PRS SE Singlecut on Reverb in great shape for a very reasonable price and snatched it up last month. Shout out to Paul at Tulsa Band & Guitars!

Sent the tuners off to John Mann for the locking conversion, installed some strap locks, filed the nut just a smidge, and added a Darth Vader Guitar strap off Etsy and Presto! Finally got to give it to him today. First thing he said was, “It has birds just like yours Dad!” Pretty awesome day!

3xenS2s.jpg

5yyBzMc.jpg

Y6tZ1Mw.jpg

xEuJ2pY.jpg

And so it begins...G.A.S., engaged...Just for the record...I am gonna go ahead and nominate @Cbouty for father of the year! That is one lucky little dude! It's never to early to drink the Kool-aid...before you know it he'll be asking for the"Birds"tattoo...good times!

Oh and tell him Happy Birthday!

Last edited:
Happy birthday to the little dude and congrats on the very cool gift.
My son's 9th bd was 2 months ago, he likes my guitars but no droolin' yet. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Aahhh. Congrats!

My younger son is now 12 and now has two guitars. His first one is a Tele that he REALLY wanted, but doesn't play much any more. The second one is a 27" Ibanez baritone guitar that he will not put down. The kids is as obsessed as I am, and he's getting really good. The Ibanez is one he saved up for. I told him if he could pay for half, I would pay for the other half. He saved for months and months to get that guitar. It was a big day for both of us when he got it.

I bought him a Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 head with a 1x12 for his birthday last year. I know it was overkill, but it was fun seeing his reaction!

Back