First ever CD purchase

Flim & the BB's - Tricycle
One of the very first AD - DA (Compact Disc) music recordings ever made if I recall correctly...

What a great player. That album is still fantastic to listen to. I remember the first time I saw him - opened for Wynton Marsalis. A friend and I had gone to see Marsalis, and about halfway through SJ's first song, I turned to her and said, "I quit. I'm done." And then, of course, I went home and sat up trying to figure out how he did that. I'll never forget seeing him play "Stairway To Heaven" up close at a small club - two guitars, and he ended it standing on two volume pedals rocking between the two.

Oh, fantastic! In the previous century when I played horn, Marsalis was one of my idols... so I probably wouldn't have survived that show.

I can certainly relate to that feeling of defeat, and chuckle a bit just thinking about how brutal it was. Watching those incredible phrasings just flow effortlessly did my head in after a couple hours, and I was just a sprout back then. Had the pleasure of watching him perform at Northwestern University circa '91 or so, when something like $7 got you a fifth row seat. One of the best performances I've ever seen, live or otherwise. Live in New York has a regular spot in my playlist as well. Great stuff!

Phew that's a good'n. I have so many of all different genres but must admit I'm a Bowie geek.!!!
1st Vinyl, Hunky Dory
1st CD, reissue Bowie Live at the Tower Philadelphia.!!!

First CD was Rush - Hold your Fire. First album I'm pretty sure was AC/DC - Highway to Hell. Funny thing is that each of those still get fairly regular rotation on the iPod and other digital devices.

The first CD I bought was What's the Story Morning Glory from Oasis, which came out in 1995 (I was 10). I still have that CD actually, and I still buy them fairly regularly. I like physical media.

Can't say for sure on the CD, but my first two albums were the debut albums of Boston and the Cars, on vinyl. Bought both at the same time from Tower Records [RIP].

It was Smashing Pumpkins, but I can't remember if it was Peel Sessions or Lull. I had a dubbed copy of Gish on cassette and went looking for their other stuff, and at the time Gish was their only album, but they had a couple oddball releases as well, singles and EPs, and it was one of those.

Gish was one of my earliest CDs too, such a good disc! I may have to dust that one off, plug in, and rock out for old times' sake.

It was Smashing Pumpkins, but I can't remember if it was Peel Sessions or Lull. I had a dubbed copy of Gish on cassette and went looking for their other stuff, and at the time Gish was their only album, but they had a couple oddball releases as well, singles and EPs, and it was one of those.

Can't say for sure on the CD, but my first two albums were the debut albums of Boston and the Cars, on vinyl. Bought both at the same time from Tower Records [RIP].

Glad I'm not the only one, can't remember either but my first 2 were Santana & Tower of Power.
.........& I live 2 blocks from where Tower Records used to be............whattup Homie?

i must be getting old... the first music that i remember purchasing were actually albums...

i bought both: Kiss Alive and Deep Purple Stormbringer... it was the song Stormbringer that made me say WOW

As noted in the Seth Meyers/Living Colour thread, my first CDs were the first Living Colour album, along with two XTC albums, "Oranges and Lemons," and "Skylarking." $18.99 each.

Where I grew up, record stores were far away. My first record with my own money was 'Wonderfulness" by Bill Cosby, at a garage sale for $0.05.

The first album I was given was "Dark Side of the Moon," by my parents. It was in my Easter basket, and it was their way of saying that I was officially too old for all that. Dad had good taste in music.

First music album purchased with my own money was the first Van Halen album, when it first came out. There was a bootleg tape of them performing at the Pasadena Civic. Heard that, and had to have the album.

Pink Floyd Delicate Sound of Thunder. (2nd Floyd concert for me as well) I believe it was in 1987. First vinyl was Led Zeppelin IV in 1972 $4.49, had to borrow a quarter form my mom to purchase.

Back