First and last horror film that made an impact on you.

For the first I'd have to say "Jaws". I know, technically not a horror movie, but I remember jumping out of my skin when the head floated by the hole in the boat while they were scuba diving...

The last one to have an impact would probably be "Nightmare on Elm Street". See Scott's description, minus the chance to go parking afterwards:(. It's been such a long time since I've even wanted to see a horror movie, I couldn't tell you the last one I actually watched.

Oh yeah! It WAS definitely a horror flick...i haven't gotten in any body of water that I couldn't see the bottom of since like 1979! I think the movies with the "that could/did actually happen" are the scariest of all.

Yeah, after that night...I developed a phobia of being murdered right after getting high or being "promiscuous" I mean they always got killed afterwards, right...if you saw gratuitus boobies or a bong...somebody was already dead and didn't even know it...yup...

Alien was definitely my first. I was way too young to be seeing that in the theater. (Thanks, Dad!) There isn't even any violence in the first half of the film. THE. FIRST. HALF. Dude knows how to build suspense. Jaws might be a close second, if for the opening sequence if nothing else. Egad, that is horrifying.

The most recent one ... ? I don't know...maybe The Descent -- again, there's some major building of atmosphere. And then, halfway through the film (again!), stuff goes sideways. Or maybe The Girl With All The Gifts or Train to Busan (zombie movies automatically qualify, right? Those of you who have seen either will know why I ask -- they're not really all that horrific...and yet they are.) I really liked the premise of both of those films. 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later are both superb. I actually liked the first Saw film, for the psychological aspects. A Field in England kind of freaked me out.

I really want to see A Quiet Place.

Did you know they are remaking Suspiria? I want to know how they reverse engineered a plot out of that movie. What's next, The Room?

When the original "Alien" came out, I was on vacation and decided to go see it in the middle of the week. I had a neighbor who was quite a bit younger than I, and I invited him to go with me as he was off that day too. So we go to the Medallion Theater in Dallas and there aren't many there at that time of day. We're on the edge of our seats with the movie and in the chest scene, he suddenly stands up and at the top of his voice says, "Ya see that Sumbich"!!!!!!! Yes dude I saw it, now sit your silly butt down. People in the theater was as much amused as annoyed...

When the original "Alien" came out, I was on vacation and decided to go see it in the middle of the week. I had a neighbor who was quite a bit younger than I, and I invited him to go with me as he was off that day too. So we go to the Medallion Theater in Dallas and there aren't many there at that time of day. We're on the edge of our seats with the movie and in the chest scene, he suddenly stands up and at the top of his voice says, "Ya see that Sumbich"!!!!!!! Yes dude I saw it, now sit your silly butt down. People in the theater was as much amused as annoyed...

Yeah, we all have "that friend"...if ya dont....well, you ARE that friend...it's true.

28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later are both superb.

Killer horror flicks! The first one of these left me very unsettled...I think the part that really messed with me was...no matter if they are friend or foe...having to drop someone like a bad habit within seconds of being infected...yup...chew on that one for a minute...I'll wait...

28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later are both superb.

Killer horror flicks! The first one of these left me very unsettled...I think the part that really messed with me was...no matter if they are friend or foe...having to drop someone like a bad habit within seconds of being infected...yup...chew on that one for a minute...I'll wait...

I feel like 28 Days Later is undoubtably the second most important zombie movie ever after Night of the Living Dead.

I have to give this topic some thought. I've watched horror movies for a long time. Some stick, some really stick, and others...

But I couldn't let this pass.

This one is easy. Don't even have to think about it.

First: The original Friday the 13th. It wasn't the entire movie, but the ending. Seeing Jason's mom slashing and hacking wasn't all that bad, but when Jason came out of the lake and grabbed the girl in the canoe....no way...freaked my sh!t out, big time. I was at a buddy's house watching it. When it was over I had to call my dad to turn on the front porch light, and open the front door. I've never run faster than I did that night in 1981.

Last: Blair Witch Project. The whole "home movie" type thing, and the concept, really put a scare into the wife and I. Especially when going to her family's cabin after having seen that movie. The cabin is on a small lake in northern Wisconsin, surrounded by woods, out in the middle of nowhere. The scary part is waking up at 2:00 in the morning needing to hit the john. The issue, no running water at the cabin, which means a trip to the outhouse. No way! I find it hilarious because when my wife was in her late teens and 20s she would go to the cabin alone and read scary books. Not any more!

The one that did not have any effect: The Exorcist. The Mrs saw it when it first was out, and it scared her. I had never seen it. Sometime around 2000 we watched it, and she commented that she couldn't believe that movie freaked her out. We both thought it was lame. She would have seen it as a teen. I'm sure that it was to her like Friday the 13th was to me. That time of your life.

I used to watch a lot of those movies in the 70s/80s, but not so much these days.

I saw the original Friday The 13th in a theater on opening day, I believe, with a girl I was dating at the time. I loved the special effects, and while this gets derided as one of the gory slasher flicks, the reality is that most of the killings are off-screen. Anyway, I was loving the movie, and Alice (the lovely Adrienne King) is in the boat, and I'm leaning forward to get ready to leave when Jason pops up and I damn near broke my back slamming back into my seat. That movie is one of my all-time favorites, and it's kind of sad that its legacy was tarnished by the bad sequels, much like Saw. That first Saw movie - wow. The rest - eh.

Now, to one of the F13 sequels. Specifically F13 Part 3 - in 3-D. Saw it opening day. This was the one that told me the franchise was probably in trouble (I thought part 2 was actually pretty good). Two days later, we're in a softball tournament and get knocked out early. So we decide to go see this flick. I'm the only one whose seen it. It's me, my now-wife, one of my friends from the team, and his girlfriend. Another couple went with us, but they sat separately. Theater is crowded, but we find four seats near the back. Squeeze in and find out it's only three seats. My girlfriend sits to my left, I take the middle, and Mike takes the seat next to the wall and Cindy sits on his lap. Remember - I've seen this already, so I know what's coming.

It's 30 years later, so I'm not spoiling anything - there's a scene near the end where Jason gets pushed out of a hayloft and hanged. Yes, it's yet another fake death. But I'm the only one in our group who knows when the girl looks at him, he's going to snap his hands up and grab the rope. I'm sitting there with my arms crossed - reaching out to the girls. Jason grabs the rope, I grab the girls' arms.

You remember in cartoons how people start running but don't go anywhere? That was my wife. Cindy did move. Remember where she was sitting? She jumped into the wall.

And yet my wife is still here...

NO and Hell NO - Don't like horror movies, OK with old Frankenstein or Dracula or anything where I used to check out Elvira or Svengoolie

Back in the day, I was into the Friday the 13th and Halloween movies because they were popular and even when silly at times they were "fun scary." Parts were scary and parts were just silly. Don't drop the knife, Tex. He's not really dead! LOL Not really things that would give you nightmares. Really liked The Shining, and it was more scary as it was more "real" and psychological. When the Nightmare On Elm Street movies came out, I thought they were the best because of the dream aspect making it again more psychological. I remember going to see Nightmare 3 at the theater and multiple times hearing the whole crowd gasp or yell, many girls scream, etc.

The one that actually left a mark though, was When A Stranger Calls. I saw that movie in the theater, and when that ending came... "Have you checked the children" there were people yelling and screaming in the theater and it was WILD scary, at the time.

It's funny how the crowd around you can influence how you feel about these things though. Seeing the reaction of others made those movies even better. I remember the scene in Jaws where there is not music first to warn you and he's "chumming" and all of the sudden there he is. I think 80% of the people in the theater yelled, screamed or at least what I did. Literally jumped out of my chair. LOL

That said, I never did see a ton of different movies of this type so many of them I missed.

First, probably the only 5 minutes of "Scanners" worth watching...and latest, loved the 28 Days and Weeks later movies...great tandem. Friday the 13th gets a nod due to the Rush Grace under Pressure poster over Johnny Depps bed. Loved Jaws...the whole damned film, but I remember laughing at Hooper' s lines more than being scared. Dreyfuss was awesome. Ok, Ben Gardner's head may have left an impression.

yeah, Jaws wasn't a "horror" movie as such, I was just using that reference. Every time the shark was coming you had the famous music... that one time you didn't and he pops up right at the back of the boat and scared the crap out of everybody. The reaction of the crowd when that happened MADE it better. Made me remember it.

I definitely have a routine every year where I watch my scary movies ans listen to all my scary music.
Music: Rob Zombie at the top of the list. Pretty sure I own every Rob Zombie movie too.
Earliest scary movie memories... which I barely remember... because it was the 70's maaaaaan...had Vincent Price in them.
Just finished watching the Ask vs Evil Dead TV series, all 3 seasons. Big fan of Army of Darkness too.
I find a lot of entertainment in ghost movies, especially if they have at least one naked chick ghost in them like 13 Ghosts.
Ernest: Scared Stupid is also a must see every year.
The Others is good too.
I keep all my scary movies in their own section of the movie bookcase.

Back