First Album/CD purchase

OK, I'm going to swim against the mainstream here. I do not like Kiss. That's right, I don't like them.
I remember, a few years back, posting a gig photo while wearing a Kiss concert t-shirt. You were relentless. LOL

"So Hans, we're you just wearing that shirt to be ironic?"

LOL Funny as hell! :)

I remember, a few years back, posting a gig photo while wearing a Kiss concert t-shirt. You were relentless. LOL

"So Hans, we're you just wearing that shirt to be ironic?"

LOL Funny as hell! :)

Wait, you WEREN'T being ironic? man we need to talk. :)

Metallica-Metallica-BlackAlbum126493892758902.jpg

I couldn't have been more than 5 when I took my dads copy of The Black Album and listened to it non-stop for hours. I got into music super young, but this - this tape (yes tape) was a gamechanger for me.
I think the fact that it was heavy, but also cotained a lot of melody as well as acoustic work is what drew me to metal. The fact that unlike most genres, you were able to express yourself using anything from loud drums, huge distorted guitars and screaming to acoustic guitar, piano and clean singing was awesome.

Last edited:
Picked up 2 albums that first day. ELO "Out of the Blue" & Foreigner "Double Vision". Shortly thereafter came Van Halen I and Boston. Those last 2 went with me everywhere after I copied them to cassette.

Kiss is a marketing juggernaut, I can't deny that, but as far as their music goes. meh. They kind of remind me of slightly edgier version of The Archies. "Sugar. Ahhhh Honey, Honey". :)

OK, I'm going to swim against the mainstream here. I do not like Kiss. That's right, I don't like them.

+1 There will be 2 of us at the "don't like kiss" party. I was listening to Boston and Foreigner instead... 38 special, 3 dog night, etc, etc.

I had a step-brother who was 9 years older than me. He used to wake me up after my Dad (and his Mom) crashed for the night - especially on bad days - and he would rock some Kiss. He watched after me during a pretty crummy era.

His favorite band was Kiss. Led Zepplin was close second. He used to talk about the time he got to see them live, in make up. Needless to say, old Kiss is quite nostalgic for me.

Last edited:
+1 There will be 2 of us at the "don't like kiss" party. I was listening to Boston and Foreigner instead... 38 special, 3 dog night, etc, etc.

3 at the non-KISS party

Speaking of Three Dog Night - certainly not my first album, but practically wore out "Live at the Forum" from 1969, learning this arrangement of a Lennon McCartney song. We did this in our high school band. Very challenging three-part acapella, but much fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first vinyl was "Meet the Beatles"
The first cassette was "America"
The first CD was "Kiss the Sky" - Hendrix

I never owned an 8-track - but if I had, it would have been "DSotM".

Last edited:
1st vinyl was Motley Crue Shout at the Devil

1st cassette was Ratt Out of the Cellar

1st CD was Damn Yankees first album. I think there were a total of 10-15 CDs in the "Rock" section at the time...

I'm another in the don't like KISS camp, even though I used to love listening to the Destroyer 8-track. Just got tired of them.

1st vinyl - Def Leppard Pyromania
1st Cassette - Van Halen 1984
1st CD - Van Halen 1984 (made sure to make that my first CD)

I don't know how you guys remember your first album or 45 or whatever... my aunts/uncles/sister were always throwing stuff around the house - the Beatles, the Monkies, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, the Guess Who. I remember the 45, I Fought the Law and the Law Won...

Don't know what I actually bought first - probably a Beatle record.

On the KISS subject - I wasn't a big fan, and yes I grew up right in the middle of their heyday. But years later my wife and I took her sister to see them live (All of us in our 40's by then). The crowd went nuts. I returned home and told my bandmate that we needed to learn to do was stomp into a pose with our legs spread apart, and bob left and right in unison... hey - it worked for them... :)

First vinyl was some K-Tel collection - it had some Rick Springfield and Pat Benetar. There was another one from the 80s that had a Santana song on it. I used to browse the 45s @ Woolworths, but buying an album was a big deal, an investment! I think we had some Hall & Oates 8-Tracks, too.

My folks were into big band, and my dad literally thought that everyone who "girated" and "screamed" was evil :)

First lp: Abbey Road. I think January 1970. I was 9.
Second: Led Zeppelin 1.
Then 'Yessongs'. (Where are the prog fans on this forum?)
CDs: I got a job in a CD store in Dallas when I was in college, 1987. Bought 8 CDs the first week, and didn't have a CD player.

Back