First Album/CD purchase

Hey, hey... you're all monkeys. And people say you monkey around.

[Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D ]

Dire Straits - "Dire Straits" (the white one).
It realy blew my mind hearing that sound!
I just started out playing the guitar then, but i still think a clean Stratsound can't get any better than this.
However there are Tele's on there too.
I guess the Studio technicians just did a very good job there as it's not the guitar and player alone ofcourse.

Replifex said:
I just started out playing the guitar then, but i still think a clean Stratsound can't get any better than this.
I guess the Studio technicians just did a very good job there as it's not the guitar and player alone ofcourse.

Mark Knopfler can do no wrong in my book, he is just amazing!

Shawn@PRS said:
Replifex said:

Mark Knopfler can do no wrong in my book, he is just amazing!

+1 Shawn. Everyone should see him live at least once - we did a couple of years ago and MK is unbelievably tasteful and talented.

I honestly can not remember the first LP I purchased. Seems like so long ago.

Seems like just as long (though they were more than likely 10 years apart!) was my first CD, which was Santana's Greatest Hits. I wore out that CD.

Bee Gees Greatest Hits 1979.

2dtuhl4.jpg

Double album in the triple panel fold out. Spent a lot of time pondering what exact crazy bling Barry Gibb was sporting, as well as trying to strum the intro to Jive Talkin on a little plastic guitar.

Still have this. Was planning to get them all to sign it, but alas, will not come to be. Now one of em is gone (or really two if you include Andy), and I'm pissed I didn't see em in Vegas back in 97'.

[Edit: Just 5 days after posting this, another loss - R.I.P. Robin Gibb 5/20/12]

Last edited:
"The Ballad of Davy Crockett," Fess Parker, 1954.

I was 4 and bugged my father for it. Got the coonskin hat and the T-shirt, too. ;)

First album was Abba-Abba....well mom bought it for me,i was only 4 but that started it all.

First LP was a Beatles compilation. I remember it had Paperback Writer, Eleanor Rigby, and Can't Buy Me Love.

Mine was "More of the Monkees". The Monkess was $2.99...."More" was on sale at Korvettes for $1.99. I was 10.

I think it was Bat Out Of Hell II on tape...

My next purchases where The Wall, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and The Division Bell by Pink Floyd. Had I not bought the Floyd albums I wouldn't on this forum (Or any other guitar forum) now!!!

Not that I'm proud to admit it, but my first album was the self-titled "Kiss" album and the Paul Stanley solo record. I was about nine years old. My tastes have become more cultured since the late 70's/early 80's, though. :oops:

steam-powered said:
Not that I'm proud to admit it, but my first album was the self-titled "Kiss" album and the Paul Stanley solo record. I was about nine years old. My tastes have become more cultured since the late 70's/early 80's, though. :oops:
I ain't skurr'd.

I have the whole KISS collection on CD and even though I haven't really listened to them in about a decade, I'm not making any apologies about it. If someone doesn't like it they can KISS my lilly-white ass.

I'm going to rock some "Love It Loud" right now, just for you.

:cool:

[youtube:3k68s17u]LMcDg2HwOnM[/youtube:3k68s17u]

And here's "War Machine"

[youtube:3k68s17u]uIQGQU35kns[/youtube:3k68s17u]

Kiss kicks ass. Paul Stanley is a great singer and frontman. They wrote some great songs in those early years - the 80's not so much.

I'm with Hans and Tim. I like Kiss. There are eras I like better than others, and I'm not thrilled with the idea that they put Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer in Ace and Peter's makeup AND have them singing Ace and Peter's signature songs. But that doesn't take away the fact that they have some great songs. And I like "(Music From) The Elder" and "Carnival Of Souls" and some of the mid-80s stuff, although "Crazy Nights" may be the worst piece of crap CD I've ever owned.

I have no guilty pleasure albums because I don't feel any guilt over any of the music I like. I love the fact that if you hit shuffle on my iPod, it's entirely possible that you could hit a sequence of Rob Zombie-Debbie Gibson-Meshuggah-Abba-Frank Zappa-Tiffany-Ozzy-Deep Purple - you get the idea. There are two kinds of music - stuff I like, stuff I don't. Period.

Back