Finish crack in new Core Custom 24 35th anniversary

shumwow

Hey guys!

I just joined the club, for now at least. My new Core Cu24 35th anni has a very small finish crack right behind the bridge, and I'm agonizing over whether I should return it or not. I love the guitar, and the crack itself doesn't bother me so much (you can barely see it unless you get the lighting just right, I really had to try in the pic), but I worry how it might affect the resale value if I decided I didn't love the guitar after months/years/etc. What do y'all think?

Hi and thanks for the welcoming! Yes, I did buy it brand new. Dealer is very reputable and I've had good experiences with them, they'll work with me if I decide to keep it but can otherwise exchange or get a full refund. Thanks for your detailed response, I didn't even think of that but totally makes sense. I already had them check it out since finding it, they said it was superficial as well, nothing wrong with the wood.

It's nitro. At some point, nitro is susceptible to cracking.

I prefer nitro guitars. I think they actually sound more the way I like a guitar to sound. But the material will crack, especially in cold weather, or transitioning from cold to warm weather.

If you're not happy, return it. If you like the guitar it is absolutely no big deal.

Hi and thanks for the welcoming! Yes, I did buy it brand new. Dealer is very reputable and I've had good experiences with them, they'll work with me if I decide to keep it but can otherwise exchange or get a full refund. Thanks for your detailed response, I didn't even think of that but totally makes sense. I already had them check it out since finding it, they said it was superficial as well, nothing wrong with the wood.
Cool! More importantly… how does it sound and play? If it checks the boxes in both those categories, why not pursue a warranty repair. Keepers are keepers and yours certainly is a beauty!

Cool! More importantly… how does it sound and play? If it checks the boxes in both those categories, why not pursue a warranty repair. Keepers are keepers and yours certainly is a beauty!
I didn't realize that was an option! I'd hate to be without it for awhile but definitely something I'd consider. It would probably take forever to get it back though considering how backed up PRS is at the moment, right?

It sounds fantastic, love the contrast to my Les Paul. Similar, but a unique clarity that my LP is lacking. I also enjoy using the trem.

I also might end up swapping it for either another Cu24 35th with a pattern thin neck (the one I posted has a pattern regular which I prefer, but I feel like I could get used to it), or a McCarty 594 HBii. The idea for this guitar was to sort of replace my Les Paul (93 standard, had it for 17 years), which I don't love playing anymore and am considering selling, but I probably shouldn't ha. I initially wanted a trem, but I have to say, the HBii really felt and sounded amazing. I just wasn't sure if it was "beefy" enough in its tone. I have a CS strat, and although very different still, I felt that the HBii wasn't as radically different in tone as the Cu24.

I'm really indecisive when it comes to things like this, so I really appreciate the input!

Looks killer. I'd be a little worried that it might bubble up and flake off over time, but I guess that doesn't happen to all those lacquer checked relics, so it's probably fine. I think the Cu24 is consistent enough that I'd be tempted to swap it if that was an option. We need to see how lovely the rest of the guitar is though! :D

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the new guitar, sorry that you’re having this issue.

Stunning colour and top.

You’ve got important decisions to make.

My two pennies would be to consider that another guitar may not live up to this one. The time it takes for this one to return will give you time to choose your next PRS.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Everyone is different. Some it wouldn’t bother others that’s all they would see when they look at it. It’s a beautiful guitar. You need to do what your heart tells you. First thought is usually the correct one in situations like this.

Happy to report that I swapped it for another Cu24 that I like even better! I did investigate a warranty repair, which was an option actually and wasn't going to take way too long. But I spent some quality time a/b'ing with my new Cu24, and I decided I liked the sound of this new one even better, as it had a bit more punch in the highs that I preferred! I somehow overlooked it the first time, I think because I was too wrapped up in the HBii that I was also interested in, and that I initially preferred the color of the first one. Anyways, I'm very happy with how things turned out. Thanks for all the advice y'all!

Here it is:

Hey guys!

I just joined the club, for now at least. My new Core Cu24 35th anni has a very small finish crack right behind the bridge, and I'm agonizing over whether I should return it or not. I love the guitar, and the crack itself doesn't bother me so much (you can barely see it unless you get the lighting just right, I really had to try in the pic), but I worry how it might affect the resale value if I decided I didn't love the guitar after months/years/etc. What do y'all think?

Play it.

I didn't realize that was an option! I'd hate to be without it for awhile but definitely something I'd consider. It would probably take forever to get it back though considering how backed up PRS is at the moment, right?

It sounds fantastic, love the contrast to my Les Paul. Similar, but a unique clarity that my LP is lacking. I also enjoy using the trem.

I also might end up swapping it for either another Cu24 35th with a pattern thin neck (the one I posted has a pattern regular which I prefer, but I feel like I could get used to it), or a McCarty 594 HBii. The idea for this guitar was to sort of replace my Les Paul (93 standard, had it for 17 years), which I don't love playing anymore and am considering selling, but I probably shouldn't ha. I initially wanted a trem, but I have to say, the HBii really felt and sounded amazing. I just wasn't sure if it was "beefy" enough in its tone. I have a CS strat, and although very different still, I felt that the HBii wasn't as radically different in tone as the Cu24.

I'm really indecisive when it comes to things like this, so I really appreciate the input!
When we're spending this level of cash for guitars, just do what you have to do to make you happy. Get a full refund or get another one without any finish defects. PRS guitars are remarkably consistent in quality it won't be a challenge to find another one you'll love.

Edit: Should have finished reading the thread. Nice replacement!

Back