Finish chipped on Santana Retro ~ help

Josef Antinucci

Ugh! My heart sunk... I ever so slightly bumped my Santana Retro and the violin carve edge chipped. Any thoughts on how to repair it? The color would be black so that's easy. It's getting the violin edge carve and that makes it harder. Thoughts?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cf7dG6270U0E5IEb27U21jVfm1k4Yi58/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B8HxoqPE3KDe7RfIi9KCIuiep3tnXrwi/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tt8WsvVAHwjuB3xnnMbrYq3f0SitH0jL/view?usp=sharing
I'd check stewmac.com

I'd check stewmac.com
yeah... I think I may be stuck doing this myself. was hoping to learn from others who had something similar for some direction. btw; were you able to click the links and see the photos? my first attempt didn't work.

yeah... I think I may be stuck doing this myself. was hoping to learn from others who had something similar for some direction. btw; were you able to click the links and see the photos? my first attempt didn't work.
Yes, your images are accessible.

Bummer. Nail polish does a good job for touch up.

Beautiful guitar! I was just looking at one in your finish the other night. A Santana has been on my list for a while.

Did the piece that chipped out come out in one? And do you still have it?

If yes and yes, you could potentially use it to re-fill the chip and build it up from there with super glue. It would be easier and quicker than drop fill and colour matching.

You would need various grades of wet n dry papers to finish and then cutting polish. If you’re inexperienced with this, go slow.

If yes and yes, you could potentially use it to re-fill the chip and build it up from there with super glue. It would be easier and quicker than drop fill and colour matching.

You would need various grades of wet n dry papers to finish and then cutting polish. If you’re inexperienced with this, go slow.
I have couple fingers that were repaired because we saved the piece that, uh, came off :D

Good luck OP! That's a sweet axe!! m
Maybe mix some black and clear nail polish and a little dab may do ya.

I have couple fingers that were repaired because we saved the piece that, uh, came off :D

Good luck OP! That's a sweet axe!! m
Maybe mix some black and clear nail polish and a little dab may do ya.

Absolutely! Always better to stick the original back on. John Wayne Bobbitt certainly thought so.

On the nail polish idea (which I think is the most reasonable solution), I would put just enough on that exposed area to get the color match. I would then fill the rest in with thin coats of clear polish until it got to the right height. That will prevent you from having to bust out the sand paper if you do it slowly and let each layer thoroughly dry in between. That is my two cents, then again you can't buy much for two cents these days ;~)) Best of luck to putting the band aid on your beauty!!!

I feel your pain. I would feel better about mine if I did it myself, but my fault anyway for forgetting to put it back in the case knowing my little nieces would be at the house.

Never thought about using nail polish, just lived with it for 3 years now. Is yours poly or the newer CAB Nitro? Mine is poly, I think the V12 finish.

I feel your pain. I would feel better about mine if I did it myself, but my fault anyway for forgetting to put it back in the case knowing my little nieces would be at the house.

Never thought about using nail polish, just lived with it for 3 years now. Is yours poly or the newer CAB Nitro? Mine is poly, I think the V12 finish.

That is one HOT Santana!!!

Ouch

Hot guitar! Nail polish is nitrocellulose.

Unfortunately, no.

Back