Finger Control

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProgRocker, Oct 14, 2019.

1. ProgRocker

ProgRocker New Member

A problem I've been having is trying to control the pinky on my fretting hand. Doing a simple exercise like a four fret run, when I fret with the index finger my pinky always moves away from the fretboard which slows everything down. The other three I can keep relatively close to the fretboard.
    Does anyone else have this problem ? Any advice on finger control ? I've tried consciously keeping it close to the board, which I can do, but when playing I can't always focus on it.
    Never really noticed this before until I started to take a closer look at my playing in general.

LSchefman likes this.
  2. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

My pinky drifts up from the board when it isn’t active. I don’t worry about it because I don’t think it really impacts how it works when I want to use it.

Alnus Rubra and LSchefman like this.
  3. mark cassidy

mark cassidy New Member

Had the same issue and I - very proactively because it bugged the sh1t out of me - practiced and then practiced some more and then...you get the picture. No longer an issue BUT I sympathize for sure.

Black Plaid and LSchefman like this.
  4. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Yep, I do this as well. Probably always will. I don't play enough to actually spend any time trying to correct it. Besides, if 3 fingers is good enough for Michael Schenker, it's good enough for me!!!!!! :p

Warmart, Alnus Rubra and LSchefman like this.
  5. WEDGE

WEDGE Almost was a FG22 owner..

When I was a kid my dad was a flamenco player and drilled into me that the pinky was not just there for its looks.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

The ring and pinky fingers on my fretting hand are numb from a nerve injury. Can’t feel the strings, makes playing kinda tricky.

Fingers gonna do what they can do. I told mine to quit complaining and just play the damn guitar.

7. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

I played bass in an acid jazz/funk band that gigged about 200+ dates a year for about four years... that sh!t made my pinky stronger than my ring finger for life.