Finally! S2 Studio arrived!

shimmilou

Established in 1963
What a versatile guitar! It was really worth the wait (since Feb), and even better than expected. It is nicely resonant, and has a full, lush sound, rich in harmonics, and awesome sustain. The guitar pup switching is mostly as one would expect from a typical HSS, except for positions1, 2 and 3, thanks to the switching configuration and the coil split from pulling up on the tone knob. Position 3 puts the neck and bridge together, and this is my favorite, whether full hum-bucker or split. The neck pup by itself is fantastic too, very full and balanced, and pairs terrifically with the middle or bridge.

The cleans are sparkly and bright from the bridge, but still full and rich, not harsh, and the higher gain sounds were pleasantly surprising. The tone knob is very useful, and doesn't make the tone muddy, just less bright. Every pup switch position sounds great (a lot like an S type guitar, but better), and I find that I do use them all, of course going often to my favorite position 3. The guitar is very responsive to touch, and it's easy to coax lots of subtle variations in tone, with changes in picking technique. The controllable feedback when using higher gain is approaching a semi-hollow, just wonderful.

The guitar produces killer cleans and driven sounds through every amp I've tried. The cleans, and mild breakup on a DR were dreamy, but my favorite so far is a MB TA15 through a 4x12, and this guitar really smokes with this setup. The amp clean channel is Vox-like, and the drive channel is Marshall-esque, the way I have it set up. With the clean channel set to the edge of breakup, it can go from nice sparkly, crisp cleans with great articulation and richness, to mild breakup, with a little wool, by using the guitar's volume knob, coil split and tone knob, and all switch positions sound killer. The high gain sounds are surprisingly excellent, the full bridge producing some smooth, smokey, slightly woolly and crisp sounds, and it's beefed up when adding the neck pup (pos 3, of course). These 3 pups work very well together, great choices for a wide variety of genres.

It is just a stellar guitar that covers a lot of bases, and I've played it every day for the past 2 weeks since it arrived. I am very pleased with the S2 Studio and definitely recommend that you check it out. Oh, and it looks so retro and cool, IMO.:cool:

44125275091_8d74920d1f_h.jpg

43406546094_f2855fb1e2_h.jpg

43406546214_fbf8e96713_h.jpg

Last edited:
I own its twin! Bought mine second hand in mint/perfect condition. Played it for half the night at my last gig!

Love the tones and playability!

I LOVE this guitar. I have a Vela and an Elite Strat and a Tele as well, and I can't quite figure out what new stuff this guitar would bring. I've played one just like this and I want it, but I'm having a tough time justifying it other than "I want it". But I REALLY want it.

How close is the sound of the bridge pick-up to a Strat? Any thoughts?

I have a Vela which has the identical bridge pickup as the S2 Studio (however my Vela has a hardtail bridge). I also have an American Elite SSS strat. The strat is equipped with the N4 pickups. Additionally, I've played my Strat back to back with a Studio over a few hours a couple if different times.

To my ear the Starla bridge humbucker is (obviously) hotter than a Strat bridge single coil and has a darker tone as a humbucker than the Strat's single coil. When I increase the gain the Strat has more "ice pick" in it where I have to roll off the presence control on my amp where I really don't do this with the Vela (Starla pickup). Other than this, when using crunch gain the two bridge pickups sound quite similar.

When I split the Starla pickup it sounds a lot like a Strat bridge. It's a little smoother to my ear than the Strat with less ice pick in the high frequencies. It's also a little less hot as a single coil than my Strat; of course this has as much to do with setup as anything else.

To me, the BIGGEST difference between the Strat and the Studio is in the neck pickup and the in-between positions. I'm a HUGE fan of the PRS d-style single coil. It's smoother and more clear sounding than my Strat neck and it does higer gain/crunchy tones more clearly. When I play the two guitars back to back, the clarity of the d-style neck really shines through even when using more gain.

I've played a Studio back to back with my Strat for a few hours. The Studio will "quack" in the in-between positions (2 & 4), but not at the same level as the Strat.

In positions 1, 3 & 5 I like the Studio better than the Strat. In positions 2 & 4 I like the increased "quackiness" that the Strat provides versus the Studio.

Not very, if you’re talking about single coil sound when split. Even in the split position, the other coil of the bridge pup is not completely out of the circuit, as there is a 2.2 k resistor in series with the other coil, so not really grounded out. To me, the split coil sounds, and even the neck pup by itself, are fuller and less harsh than a Strat single coil. But of course I prefer the positions 2 and 3 with the full bridge hum-bucker, some really sweet tones. And the full bridge by itself is awesome as well, closer to an LP sound. I’ve played other guitars for a bit since I got the S2, but I keep going back to the S2, it is really sweet. :cool:

Back