Finally played a Silver Sky

Cocorosa

Saturday in Andertons, frost silver sky. I have struggled with Strats, never really done it for me. Played the Silver Sky more out of curiosity, content that not even PRS could woo me into a single coil strat sound.

Er ……. Hmmm.

I loved the warmth of the pickups.I had a *lot* of fun playing it. I have just sold 2 guitars and some unused pedals so I could possibly own this guitar, the one I said was the least likely PRS I would ever own!

I tried to plough through 98 pages of the official silver sky thread on here looking for comments from people who actually owned one and slightly lost the will to live!

I would really appreciate it if anyone who owns one could quickly paraphrase their thoughts on the sound of their silver sky to spare me the remaining 40 odd pages I haven't read yet on that thread?

Thank you :)

Your experience sounds exactly like mine. I even told my dealer I wanted to play one when they got it, but that I wasn't buying it because it's not what I was looking for. @BeerBatteredPhish was pretty much on board that he was getting one (we met at the dealer on PRS day this year), so we talked about it and sat down to play it. We passed it back and forth for what I thought was 15-20 minutes - he said it was actually an hour. The PRS rep told him we were the only guys that went in depth with it. By the time we were done, my will power was fading fast. In the end, there were a couple things that kept him from pulling the trigger that day. I hemmed and hawed and tried to talk myself out of it, and in the end, I just couldn't do it. I'm not a Strat guy, but it reminded me of what I love about Strat sounds. It's probably the guitar I've recorded most since I got it - it just fits nicely with the stuff I record for my mother to play with at church. And I was working on a song with single-coil sounds, so it fit nicely there.

I'd have bet heavily against me getting one, and here I am.

Your experience sounds exactly like mine. I even told my dealer I wanted to play one when they got it, but that I wasn't buying it because it's not what I was looking for. @BeerBatteredPhish was pretty much on board that he was getting one (we met at the dealer on PRS day this year), so we talked about it and sat down to play it. We passed it back and forth for what I thought was 15-20 minutes - he said it was actually an hour. The PRS rep told him we were the only guys that went in depth with it. By the time we were done, my will power was fading fast. In the end, there were a couple things that kept him from pulling the trigger that day. I hemmed and hawed and tried to talk myself out of it, and in the end, I just couldn't do it. I'm not a Strat guy, but it reminded me of what I love about Strat sounds. It's probably the guitar I've recorded most since I got it - it just fits nicely with the stuff I record for my mother to play with at church. And I was working on a song with single-coil sounds, so it fit nicely there.

I'd have bet heavily against me getting one, and here I am.

Thank you, really nicely described. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that it reminded you of what you love about strat sounds. Likewise. And it is the sound I have not really heard when I have picked up a strat to play.

I thought we already decided your next guitar purchase? :p

You did but I can't find one. There is a black sparkle one available in the UK but it isn't very sparkly. Not how I mean sparkly anyway. It's sort of muted, macho, pretending not to sparkle unless you look at it in a certain light. I want full on disco ball even in the dark sparkle.

This was just something I picked up in the meantime out of curiosity :rolleyes:

I too am interested in hear from silver sky owners but that giant thread is intimidating

I’ve had mine for a few months now. The first thing is, I still get excited each morning to play it. I’ve owned several American made Strats over the years (including two Mayers) so I dig this type of guitar in general. The Silver Sky meets your Strat needs and then some.

Some of its features, like the chunkier necks (I was raised on LPs) smaller frets and vintage radius are ones I generally like. It feels like home in my hands. It’s also very easy to play. I always found Clapton Strats a bit stiff feeling because of the blocked bridge but the Silver Sky feels great even though it’s decked. I’m not a tremolo guy so I left it as is.

Tone-wise, I imagine if you’re not playing really heavy music, you can get what you need here. It covers classic rock and blues all the way up to pretty much any modern sounds you’d need. In my experience, sounds great through Fender and Marshall amps.

I’ve had mine for a few months now. The first thing is, I still get excited each morning to play it. I’ve owned several American made Strats over the years (including two Mayers) so I dig this type of guitar in general. The Silver Sky meets your Strat needs and then some.

Some of its features, like the chunkier necks (I was raised on LPs) smaller frets and vintage radius are ones I generally like. It feels like home in my hands. It’s also very easy to play. I always found Clapton Strats a bit stiff feeling because of the blocked bridge but the Silver Sky feels great even though it’s decked. I’m not a tremolo guy so I left it as is.

Tone-wise, I imagine if you’re not playing really heavy music, you can get what you need here. It covers classic rock and blues all the way up to pretty much any modern sounds you’d need. In my experience, sounds great through Fender and Marshall amps.

Thanks dude. Would love to hear from more owners.

Well let's see...
I've had mine since April 28, 2018. https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/ngd-how-did-this-happen.30579/
I have played the Silver Sky "almost" exclusively since then. As a matter of fact I played it exclusively since acquisition until mid August.
I love it.
I play in a cover band, and my role is rhythm guitar. We play rock from 70s to today.

All of the switch positions are useful tonally. None are harsh or too quacky. There is lots of range here from clean/pristine to creamy/smooth, to filthy/dirty depending on what you're plugged into.
It has presence and great string separation.
The pups seem louder than other single coils I've tried, but in a very good way.
The tone pots and vol pot are extremely linear/useful, and not those annoying on/off pots you've all experienced.
I could easily do a whole gig with just the SS. That being said, I love me some humbucker for a few tunes.
It's nice and light too.
I now bring the SS and P22 to practice every week and they both get used. Same for a gig.
My lead player is in love with the SS, and it cuts through like a knife.
It sounds great, it looks great, it feels great, and it plays great.
I finally got a high end "S" type guitar, and it was totally worth the wait.

Ah the silver sky...
I’ve had mine since July and I love it. Though not with out problems- to be clear, “problems” does not necessarily refer to the guitar itself. Moreover, “problems” shouldn’t be seen as implying “regret”, or permanece of said issue
1) a very, very minor issue of the pickup selector switch cap cracking after a couple of months of light use PRS’s absolutely top notch customer service sorted this out quickly.
2) the pickups are so good, that I’ve totally fallen for playing 3S guitars. I’ve always loved listening to such guitars, but could never fall for playing them (that’s a comment on my playing, not the style of instrument). The silver sky changed that, and now I struggle to get excited about playing my humbucker guitars (almost all PRS). I’m sure this will pass. However, it’s definitely a problem. Mine, not PRS’s. That said, I’d hope that their success in this guitar would have PRS going deeper on the single coil pickup and associated guitar styles; as well as sticking with exploring and improving on the 3S framework

This brings back great memories of gigging at the weekend and driving home to watch “The Fast Show”!

“Sminky Pinky” and “Scorcio” phrases of the ‘90’s!!

Charlie Higson who played Mikki Disco was also Swiss Toni

Back