Finally - Pics of my McCarty Thinline

Yeah ... I think it was me !
Yes, I think it was you that came up with the attractive female metaphor for PRS guitars. I thought it was a great one.

Now were talkin'! Very tasty!! Classic all the way!!! I need to get me one like this (so to speak - all hog)!!!! Congrats on this one!!!!! The search for the next one begins!!!!!!
I could have never posted those pics without your expert website developer insight and help.

I could have never posted those pics without your expert website developer insight and help.
Sure you could have, there are lot's of friendly folks here willing to help. And I was far from the first when it comes to providing instruction on that topic. As you viewed in my post, there are several other posts, each one with it's own flavor and insights. I appreciate the kudos, but you would have figured it out eventually I am sure ;~)) Now go play your Cherry Bomb!!! I am going to finger J-Fo a bit more (my Martin J-40)!!

Ya know, the grain in your Thinline is probably the best argument I have seen ... against my advocated "flamey/stripey top . ;)

Such a top on that bod would just hide all that natural beauty..

What flavor is she ? I went with Tobacco Sunburst ... but I'm really liking yours

And like you say, even this deep into model production which has to be more than a year now ,I have not seen anybody with more than one to choose from on websites or in store ...

OH NEVERMIND .... That the Vintage Cherry. ! (I read more)

I didn't pick that because I thought it would look too much like an SG. But I have never seen an SG with that kind of finish ! :p

OK ... What is your take on the pickups ?
I like the pickups, but I know my positives on them are not shared by all on this forum. That's OK, I think they're great because I like that mid-range bump that gives the tone that throaty snarl when pushed, while still sounding creamy and thick when played clean. As I said in a previous post, I cannot make quack like a duck Strat tones out of her but I really do not care. If I'd wanted those tones, I'd have bought a Strat. The rest of the tones that these pickups produce are fine for me.

You are right on not hiding that grain with a cap - that would have been a crime against nature. ;)

I love a deep red on guitars. That dark burst red wasn't available where & when I was looking, so the vintage cherry was an easy pic for me. I actually think it's cool that it copies the SG color because IMO the PRS is light years ahead of an SG, so it's kind of like an in-your-face "Here you go Gibson, here's what an SG should be."

And that grain, I really lucked out on getting that. I am truly in love with all aspects of this guitar, and the looks are the icing on the cake. Since she is such a looker, I'm thinking of replacing the Gator case and buying one by PRS to give her a proper nesting place. We'll see.

One last thing - I had to adjust my playing technique a bit because of the shorter scale length and fret height. I had to be much more firm with my Carvin, and the McCarty lets me be more "gentle" for lack of a better term. Happy playing with yours.

Sure you could have, there are lot's of friendly folks here willing to help. And I was far from the first when it comes to providing instruction on that topic. As you viewed in my post, there are several other posts, each one with it's own flavor and insights. I appreciate the kudos, but you would have figured it out eventually I am sure ;~)) Now go play your Cherry Bomb!!! I am going to finger J-Fo a bit more (my Martin J-40)!!
Too late for playing tonight, but I have a date with her tomorrow afternoon. :):):)

It is past my bedtime ...

But when I ordered my guitar ... I had to get a hard case. My Sweetwater guy set me up with a case worthy of a
$ 6,000 Core ! . An SKB 3i4214 PRS... Its supposed to be "universal" for PRS, and it is built like a case for a Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40W Range ! The thing would stop bullets ! Got Wheels on it !

I might just put my Hollowbody II in it ... because she is more "fragile" ... but I have to see if she fits (she is a bit curvier)

But the Thinline looks lost in it ! :)

IMHO, A Thinline is not a "quacking " guitar. I have not heard a split humbucker that sounds like a Tele or Strat anyway ... but split the 58/15S provides plenty useable tones. I don't intend to change mine.

One last thing - I had to adjust my playing technique a bit because of the shorter scale length and fret height. I had to be much more firm with my Carvin, and the McCarty lets me be more "gentle" for lack of a better term. Happy playing with yours.
You know I'm glad you said that. My first PRS was Feb '21 here. Had never played one but wanted one for 25+ years. I know I have always gripped my Strat and Martin necks too tight, but it seemed like a necessity in order to make the chords I wanted. The past 7 months, the PRSi I have bought this year to let me use a much lighter grip, and I am working on getting that to be my default rather than an occasional thing, because with these guitars I can! Now that said, I have started trying to do the same thing on my J-40 and I am noticing that the lighter grip (to a less extent) is working there as well. I have not yet tried on my Strat, but when I do pull that out again (if I ever pull it out again) I will definitely see if it was just me all along gripping too tight and not the guitar's fault at all.

On the gator case, I would stick with it. It's not like the guitar would play (or be stored) any better in a PRS case, IMO! Unless you are talking about moving from a soft gator to a hard PRS. Then of course, that would be better protection. Anyway, I love my Gator cases (Titan series, seem bullet proof) and I have them for my Strat and my MM Stingray (both of those had come with soft cases).

Have fun on your date tomorrow!!

S
Hello mom hello pop I got a ch ch ch ch ch Cherry Bomb!

Real nice Tom! What was the first thing you played on it?
Since I'm "just" a rhythm player, I make up rhythm parts to songs I like, and play along with those songs from my iTunes library. First song was Brad Paisley "Departure" followed by Mellencamp "Ain't Even Done With The Night" then Dave Mason "Only You Know And I Know" and on and on for about 3 hours. It is difficult to put this guitar down.

Uhhhh ! I see our "Sweeties" ... Have become more dear ...;)

I was cruzing my fav guitardope dealer (Sweetwater) to see if Thinlines were beginning to show up in inventory yet ...

Then I noticed the new MAP ... :eek:

About a $150 increase in "altitude" ... Ouch ...
I'm glad I took the plunge when I did. I almost stalled my decision, but figured that sometimes it's best to leap before you think too hard.

Beaauuutiful! Coincidentally, I ordered a McCarty S2 (double cut) today. I really want to know why people love these guitars so much. I am all the way in Jamaica and the music stores here don't have them. I'm taking a chance.
Don't worry. My retailer didn't have any in stock, and I bought mine before even playing it in advance. I don't think you'll be disappointed. When your's comes in and you've had the chance to play it a bit, start a thread and let us know what you think.

Don't worry. My retailer didn't have any in stock, and I bought mine before even playing it in advance. I don't think you'll be disappointed. When your's comes in and you've had the chance to play it a bit, start a thread and let us know what you think.

Same Here !

Even a year later, I have only seen a couple in stock, at a local GC, There I saw the opaque Blue & Green looked waay better than the on-line pictures . They did not last long however ...:cool:

Well well...my McCarty 594 S2 arrived today and I am overjoyed! The neck, playability and sound (especially on overdrive)...woohoo. I really didn't expect it. The build quality goes without saying...PRS always delivers.
Glad to hear that. I think these McCarty's in this S2 are simply a great bargain. I love mine as you can tell from my above posts. I followed the suggestions of Moondog Wily and Aphantomvaper and named her Cherry Bomb.

Hey, you could start a new thread about yours, tell us all about her & post some pics. We'd love to see them.

Back