Finally got to try a SS.....

I can see putting one back in my life. Perhaps gold....
c69234deca28eb1bc4d8335f2101333c.jpg.cf.jpg

Ha!

I’ve managed to avoid getting one by reminding myself that my previous Strats came and went pretty quickly. A sane person (I hardly qualify) would avoid repeating his mistakes over and over.

Agree. But, it's always been feel that was off for me with strats. I DO NOT like the way 6 strings on one side guitars bend on the high strings. Playing 9s doesn't take away that feel which lacks balance to me. With PRS using the 3 per side string pattern, that could be resolved. And no ice pick in the single coils = issue #2 solved. I even think I could get past the radius. But so far, the small frets have kept me from ordering. Again, playing one could change my mind, but I don't like small frets. SO close...

Agree. But, it's always been feel that was off for me with strats. I DO NOT like the way 6 strings on one side guitars bend on the high strings. Playing 9s doesn't take away that feel which lacks balance to me. With PRS using the 3 per side string pattern, that could be resolved. And no ice pick in the single coils = issue #2 solved. I even think I could get past the radius. But so far, the small frets have kept me from ordering. Again, playing one could change my mind, but I don't like small frets. SO close...

For me, the only issue is that I like a thicker, more midrange-heavy tone. It’s why Strats haven’t lasted long in Craptastic Studio. Just a playing style thing, really.

For me, the only issue is that I like a thicker, more midrange-heavy tone. It’s why Strats haven’t lasted long in Craptastic Studio. Just a playing style thing, really.
Me too. The original Custom Shop Texas Specials and some capacitor swapping fixed that for me. They’re a little more meaty but retain definition when the dirt is applied, but for cleans, they are totally fantastic. The extra girth translates into bone-tingling goodness when the Super Dallas is turned up and the Strymon pedals are dialed in. Just...gorgeous.

See, I’m all about single coil tones. It’s the layout of controls, chintzy bridge construction, scale length, and overall feel of Strats that I don’t vibe with. Unfortunately some of those things I’ve mentioned are an important part of the sound of strats.

Ideally the 305 would be the guitar for me, but something is “off” about that model to my ears. So I keep putting round pegs in square holes (single coils in humbucker guitars) and buying/selling/trading various strat-like things in the attempt(s) to satiate my thirst.

My SE EG is the latest try to find something I’m cool with.... plus it was so cheap that it’s almost not worth it to move on from or sell, and I like that I don’t have a lot of equity wrapped up in what I know is a futile exercise.

I love the sound of strats. I used one exclusively for 23 years (my only electric back then). It handled like a pig though.
The Silver Sky reminded me of my old strat. I still dont like the 7.25" rad.

I have a 80's custom build one now. The body is a one piece lump of maple. So yes, it's very heavy.

See, I’m all about single coil tones. It’s the layout of controls, chintzy bridge construction, scale length, and overall feel of Strats that I don’t vibe with. Unfortunately some of those things I’ve mentioned are an important part of the sound of strats.

Ideally the 305 would be the guitar for me, but something is “off” about that model to my ears. So I keep putting round pegs in square holes (single coils in humbucker guitars) and buying/selling/trading various strat-like things in the attempt(s) to satiate my thirst.

My SE EG is the latest try to find something I’m cool with.... plus it was so cheap that it’s almost not worth it to move on from or sell, and I like that I don’t have a lot of equity wrapped up in what I know is a futile exercise.

I’ve had a few PRSes that gave me as close to a Strat tone as I’ve wanted to go; the Signature Limited’s coil splits were pretty terrific, as was the 408 I had later, as is the 20th PS I have now. Plus there are the humbucker tones I like.

I’ve also gone whole hog for a few P-90 models that got me to a different single coil place, one that I like quite a bit.

Granted, none sound purely Strat, but that hasn’t bothered me.

I’ve had a few PRSes that gave me as close to a Strat tone as I’ve wanted to go; the Signature Limited’s coil splits were pretty terrific, as was the 408 I had later, as is the 20th PS I have now. Plus there are the humbucker tones I like.

I’ve also gone whole hog for a few P-90 models that got me to a different single coil place, one that I like quite a bit.

Granted, none sound purely Strat, but that hasn’t bothered me.
Love me some P90!

Love me some P90!

Ditto! The P90 in my CR kills...but I haven't played one with two P90s...yet. But I have been eyeballing a black SE Soapbar for a rediculous price all week. It's sparked my interest enough to list my accoustic on the verb...can't play an acoustic because of the shoulder unfortunately. So, we'll see what the future holds. ;)

Ditto! The P90 in my CR kills...but I haven't played one with two P90s...yet. But I have been eyeballing a black SE Soapbar for a rediculous price all week. It's sparked my interest enough to list my accoustic on the verb...can't play an acoustic because of the shoulder unfortunately. So, we'll see what the future holds. ;)
Good move.

Back