Finally getting around to the most important part of the home studio...

Michael_DK

IMG_4108_zpsb83c6270.jpg

IMG_4109_zpsdd102f7c.jpg

Some open weave fabric, some rigid Rockwool insulation panels (the one they recommended), a hot glue gun (and glue everywhere on my hands)... And Voila.

This stuff really is RIGID!! Not like the rigid fiberglass (OC 703) and other insulation products I have seen. Don't even need a frame, which is great. Easier, lighter, more flexibility.

I just wrap each panel individually (2x4 feet, two inches thick), and will then just use two for each bass trap. I plan to set those on the floor in the corners for now, and hang up the first reflection panels where the first reflections occur. I'll just use a ribbon or something (not the mic), and put in some 2 inch spacers of some sort, held there by the "weight"/pressure of the panel against the wall, to have some air between the panels and the walls.

Gonna be great!

Last edited:
Probably a bad one, haha!

I'm working out the last kinks (or major deficiencies) of twelve songs I wrote last year, I'm gonna record those. And I also train to get my mixing chops up (or bring them into existence, really) :)

I like the fabric choice!

The fabric was actually chosen mostly by my wallet - or my being a cheapskate :) It was the only open-weave fabric I could get at a reasonable price. Fortunately, they had enough left for and 16 single-layer panels. Well... almost... I think I may have to make a patchwork panel or two after all... Or make at least some of the bass traps as dual panels inside one fabric "sleeve". That might still require patching in an additional strip of fabric, though.

OK, now we're getting somewhere.....

First up, the cloud... Ikea curtain rods to the rescue:
IMG_4121_zps4ab04cdb.jpg

...And some green ribbon to hang it (also Ikea). This room will end up looking like christmas presents all over!
IMG_4124_zps7fb6cb32.jpg

Next up, the panel immediately in front of the listening position. This means: panel in the window. This just rests on the window sill, but with a ribbon in front to keep it from crashing into my screen and monitors (although it CAN stand on its own if not provoked by earthquakes etc).

IMG_4125_zpsf66740ba.jpg

The ribbon is easy to detach so I can remove the panel if I want some light in here when not mixing:

IMG_4126_zps755946ef.jpg

Ikea and redneck solutions are the order of the day here :)

The roller blind goes in front of the panel. This is also Ikea. It turned out to not block as much light as I'd like - but it also turned out to be relatively acoustically transparent (I can blow through it without much resistance to the air, same as the fabric the panels themselves are wrapped in:

IMG_4128_zps8e577aec.jpg

Now, side panels:

IMG_4132_zps635f81bd.jpg

...Which means more christmas gift ribbon solution. I even made a nice bow......

What's less nice (and this time, not from Ikea) is the means of keeping them a two inches from the back wall:

IMG_4131_zps9adaa0c0.jpg

...Yep, that's half an empty toilet roll. Two in the top, one in the bottom.

Monitor stands set up:

IMG_4134_zpsfa9054ee.jpg

and finally - the completed room

First the back (sorry for the dark pic):
IMG_4149_zps8469152b.jpg

And then the front:
IMG_4142_zpsc14589d3.jpg

I am still noticing some nulls and some peaks in my listening position at certain frequencies in the lows and low mids especially. I think more bass trapping is needed to really improve it. They were there before I put all the treatment up as well. At some frequencies there is this out-of-phase thing going on. I'll have to work around that for now.

Looking forward to breaking it in on a mix this week!

Back