Finally eyeballing a 594 and about to pull the trigger....

markd21

What can you 594 players tell me about the guitar? What makes it a worthy addition? Not bragging, but here's what I have. My concern is always redundancy. I have a couple that cross wires, but that's always bound to happen...

SC245
Brent Mason
DGT
CU22
P22
EG3
Johnny Hiland
CE24 Semi Hollow
S2 Studio
S2 Vela
S2 STD 22
S2 SC STD
Paul's Guitar

I have done a little research on the 594, so I understand the basics like scale, etc. But, tonally what does it bring? What music (and this is always subjective, as any guitar can make any music) comes natural from this instrument? What frequencies does it favor?

I am kind of excited, but I can't play it first. I tried one before and wasn't digging it, but I have changed as a player since then. Anything you can offer up helps - especially your personal opinions!!

I've used mine in the blues band I'm in. And I also grab it at home when I want to metal it up. It sounds equally glorious through my Boogie Express Plus 5:50 with The Dude adding just a little bit (okay, maybe a lot bit) of dirt or through my TC-50 going full out Headbanger's Ball. The last gig I did with it another guitar player in the audience visibly went wide eyed when I hit the first notes of the set and gave me a big thumbs up. I don't have any of the other guitars on your list so I can't really give you a comparison as to where it sits relatively among them.

I would think that the closes you'd come to overlap is the SC245?

I've used mine in the blues band I'm in. And I also grab it at home when I want to metal it up. It sounds equally glorious through my Boogie Express Plus 5:50 with The Dude adding just a little bit (okay, maybe a lot bit) of dirt or through my TC-50 going full out Headbanger's Ball. The last gig I did with it another guitar player in the audience visibly went wide eyed when I hit the first notes of the set and gave me a big thumbs up. I don't have any of the other guitars on your list so I can't really give you a comparison as to where it sits relatively among them.

I would think that the closes you'd come to overlap is the SC245?

Cool. Thanks for that!!

Yeah, the 245 may come close, but it has 57/08s and might not be as thick. I keep hearing the 594 is the bee's knees as far as getting a "LP" tone. My 245 is still a bit "thinner" - but in a good way. I have always said my 245 sounds like a LP that has gone through "audio mastering", lol

Of course, there is a lot of subjectivity to this and other 594 users may well have their own feelings and opinions.

You already know the specs and the 594 is probably closest to your SC245 but to me, the 594 felt like an old friend, something that was a vintage, worn in guitar with a lot of those classic Les Paul vibes. Its difficult to describe it in any other way and its not surprising that it is often compared with Gibson's iconic instrument. Anything you can associate with a Les Paul, particularly instruments before the likes of Seymour Duncan started bringing out after market alternative PU's. It can be used to rock, to do blues and I wouldn't be surprised if it can be used for any genre - even the split coils are very usable to.

From my perspective, my 594 is a great alternative to a Gibson custom shop Historic reissue Les Paul. I think it has a bit more clarity than most Les Pauls and more versatile too. I prefer the DC as that is lighter and better access to the dusty end. The best I can say is that it can do everything a Vintage Les Paul can do, and then do more with the split coil options on top.

Of course, there is a lot of subjectivity to this and other 594 users may well have their own feelings and opinions.

You already know the specs and the 594 is probably closest to your SC245 but to me, the 594 felt like an old friend, something that was a vintage, worn in guitar with a lot of those classic Les Paul vibes. Its difficult to describe it in any other way and its not surprising that it is often compared with Gibson's iconic instrument. Anything you can associate with a Les Paul, particularly instruments before the likes of Seymour Duncan started bringing out after market alternative PU's. It can be used to rock, to do blues and I wouldn't be surprised if it can be used for any genre - even the split coils are very usable to.

From my perspective, my 594 is a great alternative to a Gibson custom shop Historic reissue Les Paul. I think it has a bit more clarity than most Les Pauls and more versatile too. I prefer the DC as that is lighter and better access to the dusty end. The best I can say is that it can do everything a Vintage Les Paul can do, and then do more with the split coil options on top.

Cool. I have the 58/15LTs in my CU22WL, but they don't split individually - they are wired like a regular CU22. How "sparkly" would you ay the single tones are?

Cool. I have the 58/15LTs in my CU22WL, but they don't split individually - they are wired like a regular CU22. How "sparkly" would you ay the single tones are?

I wouldn't consider them Sparkly myself. They sound more like the full Humbucker but without the thickness you normally get. If you are playing in a band or against a backing track, switching to the split coils can fit better in the mix - the thicker aspects are not competing with the bass and rhythm sections - at least that's how I feel about them. They aren't 'ice-picky' like a strat but more like the Humbucker tone without the fullness you get from a humbucker (if that make sense...)

I really like the middle position with the neck split. For the blues band that's my default position.

That's one of the things I am after. My 245 does it, but it's starting to get beat up a little too much considering it's a limited edition model. I am kind of looking to replace it, in a way.

I'll keep it simple. Buy one, now!

98% of the "LP" tone from a SC, and 95% from a DC. But, the real winner is the neck. I can't explain it, but it just feels like it was made for your hands, no matter who you are (ok, I know not everyone!). Seriously though, so many people have commented on how the neck just feels so right. Broken in, like a good baseball mitt, or something. Just pure glory, IMO.

The 594 brings tone like no other.

Sensational neck carve and feel. SENSATIONAL.
Perfect pickups in the 58/18LTs. They sound excellent by themselves, but also split incredibly well, and when blended with the 4-knob layout, you can get all kinds of great rock tones, even close to that Telecaster-turned-down rock, if I may say.
The bridge feels and sounds great.
The tweaked tuners are said to make tonal improvements. I can't really speak to that, except that I have two 594s and they are the best sounding guitars I own.
The mahogany/maple/mahogany recipe is as rock and roll as it gets. The thicker body makes for thicker tones, for sure. It also has a slightly thinner maple top, tried and trued by the man himself.

JUST BUY ONE. THEN YOU CAN BUY A SECOND ONE.

Last edited:
Well, you guys did your job!! I ordered one. A 10-top Blood Orange DC 594. Should be here next week. Looking forward to it!!! Thanks for your help in deciding.

I will look forward to your NGD post and hearing your thoughts on it. I prefer the DC version myself as its more 'PRS'...

Hope you enjoy it as much as I love mine!

That's awesome!
Now... I went through your list again, and I don't see any soapies!:(
So... you KNOW what to do next... right?
AMI right?:D

Sorry man, no soapies. Spent a period of time where I had a Hamer USA deal and I played the Special P-90s. They sounded fat, but had too much noise for my rig. I tried moving to P100s, but the tone got lost. Switched over to the DiMarzio DLX soapbars, and that defeated the whole purpose. However, I will not lie, the CU22 triple soapbar really excites me, but I am not sure I would ever really play it because of my past experience with soapbars.

Sorry man, no soapies. Spent a period of time where I had a Hamer USA deal and I played the Special P-90s. They sounded fat, but had too much noise for my rig. I tried moving to P100s, but the tone got lost. Switched over to the DiMarzio DLX soapbars, and that defeated the whole purpose. However, I will not lie, the CU22 triple soapbar really excites me, but I am not sure I would ever really play it because of my past experience with soapbars.
I dunno Mark... I'm almost thinking I could do with 3 guitars... 594 bucker (don't own one yet), 594 soapy, and Silver Sky.

I dunno Mark... I'm almost thinking I could do with 3 guitars... 594 bucker (don't own one yet), 594 soapy, and Silver Sky.

You probably could. I could do it with the P22, SC245 and EG3, but collecting them is the fun part!!

The 594 is a gift from the wife. She said pick one out, it's on me! But, I'll probably do another thinning of the herd once it arrives. I always feel silly when I get to a certain number of guitars.

Back