Finally changed my pickups!

Chiliphil1

Hey guys, as some of you know I have had an issue with my s2 cu24 for a while now with it sounding really muddy and just generally bad. I have tried several different amps, modeling, solid state, tube and to no avail. I did a height and pole piece adjustment which helped but I never could get it where I wanted, the final straw was when I tried to record with it and the pups were so microphonic that it picked up every noise in the room and the click when switching pups was very loud, I ended up having to use a completely different guitar to record with. I had a set of Hetfield EMG's in one of my other guitars and decided to give that a go and see if maybe they would help out, so far I am happy to say that the guitar now sounds much better. The PRS is such a resonant guitar, it was a shame that these crappy pickups ruined the overall experience of the guitar. I was in disbelief when I pulled the stock pups out and realized that they are not even PRS branded, I knew they weren't USA but figured they would at least be made by them, or under their supervision in Korea but these are a generic brand and from what I read the company that makes these builds for several manufacturers.. So that would explain why the guitar sounded so bad.

Pic of the install

Pic of the generic pups

I want an S2 Standard, either the 22 or 24, not sure yet which. But they inexpensive pickups are a bit of a turn off for a $1200+ guitar. I realize it's not a Core model, but Gibson generally pups in decent electronics in their Studio line, and hell the Epiphones I own have Gibson Burstbucker and '57's in the them too, and they're $700 guitars.

I have a SE Clint Lowery model, like it a lot, but pickups like what you have here would probably really step it up a notch. Want to try something new in it at some point soon.

I want an S2 Standard, either the 22 or 24, not sure yet which. But they inexpensive pickups are a bit of a turn off for a $1200+ guitar. I realize it's not a Core model, but Gibson generally pups in decent electronics in their Studio line, and hell the Epiphones I own have Gibson Burstbucker and '57's in the them too, and they're $700 guitars.

I have a SE Clint Lowery model, like it a lot, but pickups like what you have here would probably really step it up a notch. Want to try something new in it at some point soon.

Yeah, I was almost furious when I saw the back of the pickups.. They remind me of the cheapo Kent Armstrong pickup I bought for $30, I am sure they are made in the same plant. If Gibson, LTD, Ibanez, Epiphone, etc can put quality name brand pickups in their $500 guitars why the heck can't PRS do it on the $1400 models?

Look at it this way: If you replace the pickups, you now have a guitar that is more custom tailored for you. Your total investment is still a bargain.

You gotta remember that compromises must be made to get an American-built guitar into that price range. I think pickups are a small trade-off vs. skimping on workmanship. The other guys are putting name brand pickups in cheaper guitars because they're utilizing overseas labor, which is much, much cheaper.

PRS have obviously had great success with G&B because they've been making the pickups for the SE line since the beginning.

Aren't the S2 pickups designed to PRS's specs anyways? Maybe you got a bad set....?

also, the guitar looks incredible with those emgs in it. enjoy that!

Look at it this way: If you replace the pickups, you now have a guitar that is more custom tailored for you. Your total investment is still a bargain.

You gotta remember that compromises must be made to get an American-built guitar into that price range. I think pickups are a small trade-off vs. skimping on workmanship. The other guys are putting name brand pickups in cheaper guitars because they're utilizing overseas labor, which is much, much cheaper.

PRS have obviously had great success with G&B because they've been making the pickups for the SE line since the beginning.

You're right. I tend to look at Gibson, they are known for some pretty good pickups, as is PRS. When I look at an LP studio which comes with Gibson pickups for $1,000 and then at an s2 with Korean pickups for $1400 I think, man if Gibson can do it why can't PRS? Then I remember the quality of low end Gibsons and suddenly the reason hits me.

As you said the PRS are such resonant guitars so I consider pickups the best change you can make to a good guitar that you love otherwise to tailor it to your liking. The het set looks great in that guitar. The newer EMG 57/66 set is great sounding set of pickups too.

As a big fan of pickup swaps, the G&B's in my Mira didn't bother me at all (and they are currently residing in my ol' LP, where they sound great). I am enjoying experimenting with different pickups in the guitar, giving it different vibes with different setups and all, where if it had come with the USA pickups I very likely would have never considered trying anything else in it.

As a big fan of pickup swaps, the G&B's in my Mira didn't bother me at all (and they are currently residing in my ol' LP, where they sound great). I am enjoying experimenting with different pickups in the guitar, giving it different vibes with different setups and all, where if it had come with the USA pickups I very likely would have never considered trying anything else in it.

Actually I did swap the G&B's into the old Ibanez that the EMG's came out of and they sound phenomenal in there, I don't think I have ever heard that guitar sound better.. I guess they just weren't the best choice for this guitar.. but what do I know?

You're right. I tend to look at Gibson, they are known for some pretty good pickups, as is PRS. When I look at an LP studio which comes with Gibson pickups for $1,000 and then at an s2 with Korean pickups for $1400 I think, man if Gibson can do it why can't PRS? Then I remember the quality of low end Gibsons and suddenly the reason hits me.
You summed it up right there. At any rate, glad you found a nice solution between the 2 guitars. Those EMG's look pretty cool in there.

I also like the S2 Mira quite a bit in stock form. I always enjoy them when I play in a store. I guess I can't say how much, since I'm not playing at home in my own environment.

PRS has always said, right upfront, they're imported pickups built to PRS specs. So I don't get the shock over finding another brand on the pickups.

Since PRS doesn't actually have its own plant in Korea, someone's gotta build 'em. Instead of preventing the actual maker from stamping their trademark on the pickups, and trying to fool people, PRS is doing the right thing by keeping the G&B stamp on them.

In fact, they do the same thing with the SE line, right on the back of the headstock it says, "Built by World Musical Instruments," etc.

The OP didn't mention that Gibson's Epi pickups may say Gibson, but they're not made by Gibson USA except for special models. In fact, if you check Gibson forums, there's considerable confusion over what is made where on Epis. Gibson is a different kind of company from PRS.

I think PRS does things the right way.

As to whether the pickups themselves sound good, bad or indifferent is entirely subjective, and I'll leave that to others. I like the Core models, and have only heard a couple of the S2s in person.

I also like the S2 Mira quite a bit in stock form. I always enjoy them when I play in a store. I guess I can't say how much, since I'm not playing at home in my own environment.

Me too, and they will probably end up in there again some day just for grins. I just like to experiment. At the moment I have a set of Slash pickups in there and I have to say of the three sets I have tried I believe I like them the best, the A2/PAF vibe really seems to suit the nature of the guitar (and honestly, the Mira pickups arguably sound better in the Les Paul than the original pickups did!). The only rub is giving up the coil taps, but it does sound great.

Could not rip the SE245 pickups from my SE245 and SE Santana fast enough. Gibson pickups in there now. Lovely things. I got so little for the santana pickups on ebay I haven't bothered to sell the 245's yet.

I didn't have a problem with the pickups in my s2 . I didn't mind them and they did the job.

The only reason I put a het set in my s2 was because I wanted to try that pickup out and didn't want to put it in my core custom 24 or DGT .

I think a lot of people place too much importance on where pickups are made. A pickup is just a simple magnet wrapped in wire. Anybody can manufacture it. What makes the better pickups better is the research in finding the exact specifications for the type of magnet and wire. Once you've figured out what specs of magnet and wire sound good, anybody can reproduce that recipe and create a good sounding pickup.

In the case of the S2 guitars, PRS did the research and created the recipe. They just outsourced the manufacting process. But that recipe of magnet and wire would sound the same whether PRS did it in-house or if Gibson did it or if Koreans do it.

Of course you may still not like the sound of the pickup. But the non-PRS brand isn't the problem.

Back