Figured and exotic wood in other than guitars

Here's a ring box I made and some rings from some exotic wood I found in my parents' garage when they moved.
1xCrKJ7

https://imgur.com/a/1xCrKJ7

Aside from the past projects like hardwood amp and speaker cabinets. I decided to experiment with some jewelry boxes lately.

The fun part (one of them) is cutting all the pieces from a single board so as to wrap the wood figure from one side into the next.

Beautiful! I’m a big birdseed fan. I really like the contrast of the wood choices, and the bow ties are a nice touch.

I have a few wood things.
A couple of these really comfy chairs. The wood is palm. Lightly coloured seating area. You might see wood tied with darker leather laces.
CK_1555Chair.JPG

The place I store my multi coloured sweaters. Wood is cedar. The inlay isn't on the surface. It goes right through to the interior.
CK_1558CedarChest.JPG

My canoe. My wife bought me this for my 30th birthday. I get something human powered every 10 years. The body of the canoe is cedar. The yoke is oak.
CK_1559Canoe.JPG

Last edited:
I may be nuts, but my goal is still to attempt something in the style of Sam Maloof's most famous piece. I had the honor of meeting him twice. His house left me with the impression that it was hand carved. Had I been smarter, I'd have had him make me one when he quoted me $12,000. That was in 1992, and just seemed prohibitive. Ten years later, he said he would still honor the price. By that time, when he was 86, the price had doubled. Stupid me......Last I heard they have doubled again (for an original).
I have no expectations that I will approach the quality of the original, but I want to see what I can do.....

Dude! That is a brilliant project.
I may be nuts, but my goal is still to attempt something in the style of Sam Maloof's most famous piece. I had the honor of meeting him twice. His house left me with the impression that it was hand carved. Had I been smarter, I'd have had him make me one when he quoted me $12,000. That was in 1992, and just seemed prohibitive. Ten years later, he said he would still honor the price. By that time, when he was 86, the price had doubled. Stupid me......Last I heard they have doubled again (for an original).
I have no expectations that I will approach the quality of the original, but I want to see what I can do.....

I have a few wood things.
A couple of these really comfy chairs. The wood is palm. Lightly coloured seating area. You might see would tied with darker leather laces.
CK_1555Chair.JPG

The place I store my multi coloured sweaters. Wood is cedar. The inlay isn't on the surface. It goes right through to the interior.
CK_1558CedarChest.JPG

My canoe. My wife bought me this for my 30th birthday. I get something human powered every 10 years. The body of the canoe is cedar. The yoke is oak.
CK_1559Canoe.JPG
Sorry, I couldn’t help but gasp at the wide chasm in your oak yoke! Respect!!

Back