Few questions on the custom 22 20th anniversary

Diddly

Hi there,I am considering picking up one of those.I have already tried it and was pretty impressed I must say.I have never owned one before and have very little knowledge about prs guitars.Its also a 10 top.What exactly is a 10 top?I cant seem to find much info on the specs though strangely.The pickups are dragons according to the accompanying sheets with the guitar.Are they dargon 1's or dragon 2's and what is the difference between them?Also it has a stop tail bridge.I am a little concerned about adjusting the intonation with this, as I have read of a few people having intonation issues with it.What are your opinions on stoptail bridges?Do you have any issues?Also woudl you be more of a fan of the custom 22 or 24 and why?Thanks in advance

Welcome diddly.

10 is nicer looking wood. No other changes in the guitar.

I’m not sure which dragons might be in the guitar.

PRS stoptails are excellent and I have not had any issues with any of mine.

I like the 22, for no particular reason other than it suits me.

10 top is only a cosmetic plus. The stop tail is good. I put an adjustable bridge on mine only to accommodate lower and drop tunings.

I have a stop tail on my PRS Hollowbody I - Never had any issues with intonation and I have had the frets replaced. No concerns from my end about the stop tail.

Other than the obvious differences between the 24 and the 22 in the number of frets, you’ll notice that to maintain the scale length, the pickups on the 24 are closer together, and that makes the bridge pickup sound a little different, perhaps a bit more happening in the vocal quality of the midrange. The 22 is more traditional-humbucker sounding, which is also fantastic.

Both are great. It’s all a matter of what kind of tone you’re after.

Also, the wraparound stoptail is adjustable via two grubscrews in the front of the bridge that might not show up unless you look closely. I’ve never had an intonation problem with mine, and I’ve had quite a few of them.

CU24s come with either a Regular or Wide-Thin neck for the 20th anniversary era; CU22s have a Wide-Fat or a Wide-Thin. So there’s another small difference.

No worries with either the CU24 or CU22, pick whatever appeals to your hands and ears.

As has been said, the one piece wrap is solid with respect to intonation. If you 'real going to drop to 8's you may need something with adjustable saddles.

Buy, by, bye, As far as I know, people seem to have trouble with the stop tail when they go to 11's or hybrid sets for drop tuning. The stop tail was designed for 9's or 10's. Paul has it on his personal guitars, because he feels it's both more musical and sustains better. I'd be very curious to know what people who "had trouble" were doing to their guitars. I have a really good friend who is a luthier. He fixes a lot of guitars that were "modified" by the owners. They usually don't under stand before they butcher. The forum guys know better.

Other than the obvious differences between the 24 and the 22 in the number of frets, you’ll notice that to maintain the scale length, the pickups on the 24 are closer together, and that makes the bridge pickup sound a little different, perhaps a bit more happening in the vocal quality of the midrange. The 22 is more traditional-humbucker sounding, which is also fantastic.

Both are great. It’s all a matter of what kind of tone you’re after.

Also, the wraparound stoptail is adjustable via two grubscrews in the front of the bridge that might not show up unless you look closely. I’ve never had an intonation problem with mine, and I’ve had quite a few of them.

CU24s come with either a Regular or Wide-Thin neck for the 20th anniversary era; CU22s have a Wide-Fat or a Wide-Thin. So there’s another small difference.

No worries with either the CU24 or CU22, pick whatever appeals to your hands and ears.

Agree with everything Les says above. Just want to add a little emphasis to Less's comment regarding pick up location on a 24 fret guitar on how it effects tone. I would definitely play both the 22 & 24 fret versions before I decided which one to buy.

Back