Few questions about a '00 custom 22

spawnofthesith

I've got a line on a 2000 10 top custom 22 for a pretty dang good price locally, and I'm feeling extremely tempted to scoop it up.

Curious about what the general consensus on the Dragon II pickups is, I've read a lot of varying opinions on them, ranging from love to hate. Perhaps a bit polarizing of a pickup? My band could best be described as a jamband that often lets our metal influences slip into the music. I'm mainly playing a clean tone or a "modern" high gain tone. How would the dragons work out with that?

Next question on the bridge, it's one that has a fixed intonation... anyone have any problems with these? I have a negative gut reaction when I see bridges like that but at the same time I think I truest Paul's designs, and I also have an SG special with a fixed intonation bridge and I can't say I have any complaints on that guitar

Third, the guitar in question I am looking at has a "fat/wide" neck. Can anyone make a comparison to say a Gibson or otherwise what that neck might be like? The only PRS neck I'm familiar with is the pattern regular on my vela. This guitar is about an hour and a half away from me, so if I go down to try it I'll be fairly committed once I make that decision. I don't mind a fat neck within reason, I think my fattest neck is the baseball bat neck on my american vintage '55 tele, which I like but I wouldn't necessarily start getting several guitars with that level of fatness on the neck

Thanks for any insights and opinions!

For 10 years I owned both a '95 and a '02 Custom 22 at the same time. The '95 got played much more than than the '02.

The '02 was more beautiful. But the '95 felt more resonant, comfortable and inspiring. It rang and sustained better.

The neck pickup in both the Dragon I and II sets seemed very similar. 8K. Probably alnico 4. They might even be the same pickup.

The difference being that the Dragon II version is covered and the Dragon I uncovered. I think it's a terrific '59 PAF style pickup.

The bridge pickup in the Dragon I set is simply one of the best pickups for rock and hard rock I've ever owned.

It's hot, thick, dense and smooth with just the right amount of edge. A PAF might be more appropriate for Blues but the Dragon I is my favorite for Rock.

DCR doesn't tell the whole story but the bridge pickup in the Dragon II set is 12K, so 4K hotter than an average PAF but 7K less than the 19K Dragon I.

The Dragon II sounds good. But it doesn't impress me the way the Dragon I does.

Also, the neck heel on my '95 is short and the neck heel on my '02 is longer. Some people don't like the longer neck heel.

Just something else to be aware of.

Last edited:
I've got a line on a 2000 10 top custom 22 for a pretty dang good price locally, and I'm feeling extremely tempted to scoop it up.

Curious about what the general consensus on the Dragon II pickups is, I've read a lot of varying opinions on them, ranging from love to hate. Perhaps a bit polarizing of a pickup? My band could best be described as a jamband that often lets our metal influences slip into the music. I'm mainly playing a clean tone or a "modern" high gain tone. How would the dragons work out with that?

Next question on the bridge, it's one that has a fixed intonation... anyone have any problems with these? I have a negative gut reaction when I see bridges like that but at the same time I think I truest Paul's designs, and I also have an SG special with a fixed intonation bridge and I can't say I have any complaints on that guitar

Third, the guitar in question I am looking at has a "fat/wide" neck. Can anyone make a comparison to say a Gibson or otherwise what that neck might be like? The only PRS neck I'm familiar with is the pattern regular on my vela. This guitar is about an hour and a half away from me, so if I go down to try it I'll be fairly committed once I make that decision. I don't mind a fat neck within reason, I think my fattest neck is the baseball bat neck on my american vintage '55 tele, which I like but I wouldn't necessarily start getting several guitars with that level of fatness on the neck

Thanks for any insights and opinions!
First: get it. I have the same guitar with a wide thin neck. My nr 1

Regarding the questions.
1. I think the dragons work for that kind of music. Too high output for my linking, but they are OK. I took them out though, because they don't work for P&W ;-).

2. The bridge works fine, as long as you stay within standard types of strings (no wound 3rd) and thicknesses. Actually it is my favorite kind of bridge. Comfortable and very well intonated.

3. If I am correct wide fat and pattern regular are more or less the same profile.

There are definitely lovers and haters on the Dragon II pickups. You will have to try them to determine which camp you are in. From your description of what you play, you may like them.

The bridge is not fixed. It has adjustment screws at each post. There is some adjustment to it. If you go heavier than 11s on it you may start to notice the intonation is not perfect. They work well for 9s up to 11s.

If you like the pattern regular neck you may like the W/F. Back then there was some variation on them. Some were a little thicker and some a little thinner. This is from the hand sanding. The nut width is a little wider than the pattern regular cave. The W/F carve is thicker than the 60's Gibson neck carve.

Sweet. Guy is out of town til Monday so I have a little time to think on it still but I am -very- tempted. Has barely been a month since getting my first PRS and here I go again already lol

Seller pic of the guitar in question:
00N0N_lGNe1lBimbC_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Sweet. Guy is out of town til Monday so I have a little time to think on it still but I am -very- tempted. Has barely been a month since getting my first PRS and here I go again already lol

Oh definitely buy it....lol.
It's a true Green Meanie!

Beauty! I really like the feel of the fixed bridge and the way the strings resonate with it. You should have worries about it. I have no experience with those pickups.

Wide Fat necks are wider (width of the fret board) than regular. The thickness of the neck (front to back) is probably comparable, though there is variation. I love the regular neck shape, but not so much the wide fat, so I wouldn't assume just because you like one you'll like the other. The larger wide fat is usually a little too big for my style of playing. If you like the baseball bat neck on your Tele, however, you'll be fine with a Wide/Fat.

Definitely buy it. That's gorgeous and you can always swap pickups if you don't like the Dragon IIs.

First: get it. I have the same guitar with a wide thin neck. My nr 1

Regarding the questions.
1. I think the dragons work for that kind of music. Too high output for my linking, but they are OK. I took them out though, because they don't work for P&W ;-).

2. The bridge works fine, as long as you stay within standard types of strings (no wound 3rd) and thicknesses. Actually it is my favorite kind of bridge. Comfortable and very well intonated.

3. If I am correct wide fat and pattern regular are more or less the same profile.
The Dragon I bridge pickup is too high of an output to be my only pickup...but I have to have it in at least ONE guitar!

It's too good to miss out on.

As it is I have it in three guitars.

It's the only pickup that does what it does with an overdrive pedal and a Marshall style amp.

Killer arena rock, anthem rock, 70's/80's Boston style sounds and more.

A Duncan JB gets close but it's brighter. Requires turning the guitar's tone control way down but that's a cool sound too!

My guitars with range of vintage to high output pickups to get a range of sounds.

And everyone needs more than one guitar.

Last edited:

Oh, that is hot!!

GET IT.

Beauty! I really like the feel of the fixed bridge and the way the strings resonate with it. You should have worries about it. I have no experience with those pickups.

Wide Fat necks are wider (width of the fret board) than regular. The thickness of the neck (front to back) is probably comparable, though there is variation. I love the regular neck shape, but not so much the wide fat, so I wouldn't assume just because you like one you'll like the other. The larger wide fat is usually a little too big for my style of playing. If you like the baseball bat neck on your Tele, however, you'll be fine with a Wide/Fat.

Definitely buy it. That's gorgeous and you can always swap pickups if you don't like the Dragon IIs.
I think the fixed bridge gives a deeper, thicker, more solid sound. More like a Les Paul.

It seems appropriate for the Custom 22, although i like the vibrato on my CE22's.

CE22's seem more Stratty than Custom 22's so the vibrato seems appropriate.

What are you tuning to? The fixed bridge works for me when tuned down to Drop D, D Standard, and Drop C. Anything lower than that, I use my Singlecut with a Mann Made adjustable bridge. Especially when I’m using heavy string sets with a wound G.

The Widefat neck has a similar feel to a R9 neck that I have on my LP. DEFINITELY not R8 baseball bat sized And thicker than the R0 shape.

Try the Dragon II’s out first. While I don’t care for them in E Standard, they’re semi usable for drop tunings.

Also, take your time to learn to properly use the winged tuners. Don’t be a quitter.;):)

I've got both Dragon I and Dragon II pickups in 22 fret guitars. My CE 22 from '97 has Dragon I's and my '08 Custom 22 has Dragon II's. I prefer the sound of the Dragon I for hard rock/metal tones, but the Dragon II are no slouch. My Custom 22 is the non-adjustable stop tail bridge and it's perfect with intonation. I've not had a single issue on that front in the time I've owned this guitar. If, however, you have a hankering for adjustable intonation, swapping the standard wrap around bridge for the adjustable one is as simple as getting an adjustable stoptail from the accessory shop. All in all, definitely get that guitar!

Thanks for all the input guys! I guess I should have suspected that no one here would tell me -not- to buy it lol

What are you tuning to? The fixed bridge works for me when tuned down to Drop D, D Standard, and Drop C. Anything lower than that, I use my Singlecut with a Mann Made adjustable bridge. Especially when I’m using heavy string sets with a wound G.

The Widefat neck has a similar feel to a R9 neck that I have on my LP. DEFINITELY not R8 baseball bat sized And thicker than the R0 shape.

Try the Dragon II’s out first. While I don’t care for them in E Standard, they’re semi usable for drop tunings.

Also, take your time to learn to properly use the winged tuners. Don’t be a quitter.;):)

I mostly just play in standard these days. Occasionally drop D.

I suppose the price is also nice enough on this thing that if I pull the trigger I wouldn't have to worry too much about having to swap if I ended up not like the DIIs

I just watched the winged tuner vid on the PRS site, seems a bit different but doesn't look too crazy? Hopefully if I can "figure out" the vintage tuners on my tele I can figure these out haha

Thanks for all the input guys! I guess I should have suspected that no one here would tell me -not- to buy it lol

I mostly just play in standard these days. Occasionally drop D.

I suppose the price is also nice enough on this thing that if I pull the trigger I wouldn't have to worry too much about having to swap if I ended up not like the DIIs

I just watched the winged tuner vid on the PRS site, seems a bit different but doesn't look too crazy? Hopefully if I can "figure out" the vintage tuners on my tele I can figure these out haha
Cool, please report back, with pictures. Otherwise it will be classified as a hallo kitty ;-).
And the winged tuners are easy enough. If you can use a knife and fork, I would be very surprised if you cannot figure them out

Cool, please report back, with pictures. Otherwise it will be classified as a hallo kitty ;-).
And the winged tuners are easy enough. If you can use a knife and fork, I would be very surprised if you cannot figure them out

Giving myself til the weekend to decide, but I already know which way I'm leaning....... lol

I replied to your post on TGP. That guitar looks to be a really good deal.

Why Wait?

1. He's out of town til monday
2. It will be a 3hr round trip drive
3. I've gotten a lot of gear the last few months and vaguely had a notion to show some self restraint but I think this is too good of a deal on a sweet looking axe for me to pass up lmao

Back