Feedback wanted on PRS Sig strings

krb813

I'm taking in my Custom 24 to get a proper setup done soon. How are the PRS Sig Strings vs say NYXL's?. I do not live close to a place to get strings. I will be driving quite a ways to get the setup done. So, I'll be ordering the strings online.

Thanks

They are almost identical. I use both. I love both. They are both made by D’Addario. Even the wetsuit like feel of the packaging is the same. I’ve never touched a wetsuit, but that’s what I think it would feel like.

I'm taking in my Custom 24 to get a proper setup done soon. How are the PRS Sig Strings vs say NYXL's?. I do not live close to a place to get strings. I will be driving quite a ways to get the setup done. So, I'll be ordering the strings online.

Thanks

I've used D'Addarios for years. Someone at a local shop suggested NYXL's, so I tried them. I did not notice that much of a difference. I think there's some "snake oil" going on. IMO, don't spend lots of money on strings.

I tried the new DGT strings for my...DGT. I think I like the old DGT signature strings, but they don't make them anymore. I hunted some sets down from a few places that still had some.

That said, NYXL are fine too. I use the 10s for my Gibson scale length guitars.

I kinda think that's the case with most "high end" strings.

It can be worth the extra money - or not - depending on the strings and player preferences.

A couple of years ago, I tried some strings made by a lesser known brand, Sono-Tone; a friend recommended them. Loved the feel and tone. So I switched, and now play their old-school, pure nickel strings (not nickel plated steel like most strings). I like the feel, they're brighter sounding than any other pure nickel string I've tried, they feel great, and my goodness, they seem to last forever. Maybe on an annual basis a person could buy a couple of beers, lunch or a car wash if they bought cheaper strings.

They give me 100% the tone and feel I want. They'll put together sets of the gauges the customer wants. So I spend an extra ten bucks a pack. Big f'ing deal. Cheap thrills.

PS - I also like the PRS strings, but pure nickel floats my boat more.

George from Daddario sent me a set of NYXL's couple of years ago and I did like them - more presence, less string stretching when first on. Same time I change strings every 2 weeks of regular use so I seen no reason to pay 2x of EXL's especially when I never had a single issue with regular sets. I never tried PRS strings and probably I won't as long as they won't adopt the balanced sets Daddario is selling. I love these things

It’s a wierd one with strings. Feel, tension, blah.
I’m a bass player primarily. I bought a guitar to help with my study.
Okay. I traded my Epiphone for a PRS.
For years I used Rotosound . Then bought a Warwick Stage 2 with Dunlop strings on it.
Tipped me on my head.
I think you have give things a chance.

Back