Feedback / Squealing - 58/15 Pups

ErinNoble

I love my new McCarty with 58/15 children. But, I have found the shark goes into squeal mode very fast as soon as I'm in any decent volume (ie, big house). Use Blackstar HT Studio 20W tube amp - happens on crunch channel or on clean channel with distortion pedal.

Since I'm playing at home, I'm pretty close to my amp. But, never go through this with any of my other guitars. I think these puppies have waxy spots, but it is a very light gourd (to maintain the classic feel). Anyone else experience this with 58/15? Treatment?

I'm in the same boat as you are but with the 57/08's in my DC245, I play 4-5 feet away from the speaker with a 5 watt amp on half power
and they squeal if I up the drive a bit, they are un-potted I guess.

Playing unpotted pups at volume is not only fun but required knowledge. First, you need an amp that can achieve VOLUME, and enough cable to move in and out of the danger zones. Then step into “the spot” just enough to control sustain and feedback. Awesome! This isn’t a problem to “fix”, it’s freakin’ rock ‘n roll!

Playing unpotted pups at volume is not only fun but required knowledge. First, you need an amp that can achieve VOLUME, and enough cable to move in and out of the danger zones. Then step into “the spot” just enough to control sustain and feedback. Awesome! This isn’t a problem to “fix”, it’s freakin’ rock ‘n roll!

Actually, I had no idea they’re unpotted! But you are right, sir!

I play pretty loudly in the studio, but I’m always at least ten feet from the amp, no noise or feedback issues at all with mine. Unless, as Boogie says, I want the Giant Rock Feedback Thing. Which, of course, sometimes I do! So then I move in close. :)

Feedback is simply the interaction of the speaker and the pickup, and generally that’s caused by proximity and positioning.

In any event, OP, move around your room, see where you don’t get feedback, see where you do. You’ll find a spot where it’s good for you. Or you could simply turn the speaker cabinet to a different angle relative to where you like to sit/stand.

Generally, to not have feedback you want to avoid having your guitar directly face the amp’s speaker cabinet in close proximity. Sometimes simply sitting/standing next to the amp, instead of in front of it, is a solution. Turning away from the amp, as though you were playing a show, is another potential solution. As, of course, is being somewhere else in the room. Let’s face it, if you’re playing loud enough for feedback, you’re going to hear the amp - there’s no reason to have to face it.

Last edited:
I'm surprised. I have gigged my P245 with 58/15 pickups at very high volume. I play at home in close proximity at pretty high volume.

No feedback at all. None. I kind of wish I could get some.

Back