FedEx or UPS?

As I understand it, Amazon has a deal w/USPS for delivery. Maybe that's part of the deal.

My guess is it's also partially forward-thinking strategy - if they ever decide to use their own delivery service, a portion of it is already in place. Deliver to their distribution center instead of the post office would be the only change there.
By the looks of it all the pieces are in place for their own delivery. Except for local delivery drivers, which I've heard, they have started interviewing for in some areas.

They’re both kinda meh. Nice that FedEx does Saturday but I’ve had them leave too much expensive stuff unattended in odd places and no slip indicating delivery. Both have destroyed amps for me. I guess I don’t have preference, both are convenient and I usually just have them hold my package:D...

For pick up.

But if it costs the same to ship via USPS from their local postal facility as it does mine, why pay labor, mileage, maintenance, tolls etc., on top of the postage?

As I understand it, Amazon has a deal w/USPS for delivery. Maybe that's part of the deal.

They do. And it's one of those "I have all the money so you'll do whatever I tell you to do and I'll pay you whatever I want, OR ELSE" deals. Amazon pays the USPS $1 to deliver all packages! You heard me. 20 lbs from CA to NY? $1! They may take it part of the way, but USPS delivers it for $1. Here's the kicker. IF it doesn't get there on time, they pay nothing. Yet these assclowns can't hold themselves to their own standards! So (and yes I know exactly what I'm talking about, and have to listen to it EVERY SINGLE DAY) so IF these freakin' Amazon clowns get to the local PO 3 hours after they are due, and 3 hours after the carriers have gone out, (which is a routine at every local post office I know about!) the local PO has two options. One, call the carriers back from miles away to pick up their 5-10 or 50 amazon packages, even if they have already done the part of the route those packages to and even if that means driving 20 miles out of the way with no pay for it. Option 2 is to send them out the next day and not get paid. They are all delivery scanned with GPS locator scanners. If your "Prime" delivery gets there at 8:00 in the morning on day 3, USPS did it for free. And the ONLY reason they are late is because the Amazon drivers don't get the packages to the PO on time, literally 3-4 days every business week in the case of my wifes office.

Option 3---I'll guarantee you my wife has put 10K miles on her new truck delivering these packages and SHE IS THE FREAKIN POSTMASTER! Not a mail carrier. But it's "Deliver them or else" from the USPS management who is so afraid of losing their business that they have also gotten onboard with the Amazon philosophy of not caring about their employees at all while they promise this unattainable service level goal before it's logistically possible.

Let me clarify: My wife gets written up every time an amazon package doesn't make it on time. And even if she easily documents that "the amazon truck got here at 10:00 today, two hours after my carriers were out on the routes" even though that truck was due at the PO by 7:00, it doesn't matter to USPS or to Amazon. Amazon doesn't pay so USPS writes them up. Even better, Amazon write USPS up as an "on time delivery failure" even though it was THEIR FAULT!

Amazon is the FREAKIN devil and some day, we'll all be sorry we patronized them. MARK MY WORDS! :mad::mad::mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
first of all i can’t believe you lucked out and married the postmaster.

(anec: ups damaged my frickin sweet bogner cab, lost it for a week, found it and sent it back to me.)

They do. And it's one of those "I have all the money so you'll do whatever I tell you to do and I'll pay you whatever I want, OR ELSE" deals. Amazon pays the USPS $1 to deliver all packages! You heard me. 20 lbs from CA to NY? $1! They may take it part of the way, but USPS delivers it for $1. Here's the kicker. IF it doesn't get there on time, they pay nothing. Yet these assclowns can't hold themselves to their own standards! So (and yes I know exactly what I'm talking about, and have to listen to it EVERY SINGLE DAY) so IF these freakin' Amazon clowns get to the local PO 3 hours after they are due, and 3 hours after the carriers have gone out, (which is a routine at every local post office I know about!) the local PO has two options. One, call the carriers back from miles away to pick up their 5-10 or 50 amazon packages, even if they have already done the part of the route those packages to and even if that means driving 20 miles out of the way with no pay for it. Option 2 is to send them out the next day and not get paid. They are all delivery scanned with GPS locator scanners. If your "Prime" delivery gets there at 8:00 in the morning on day 3, USPS did it for free. And the ONLY reason they are late is because the Amazon drivers don't get the packages to the PO on time, literally 3-4 days every business week in the case of my wifes office.

Option 3---I'll guarantee you my wife has put 10K miles on her new truck delivering these packages and SHE IS THE FREAKIN POSTMASTER! Not a mail carrier. But it's "Deliver them or else" from the USPS management who is so afraid of losing their business that they have also gotten onboard with the Amazon philosophy of not caring about their employees at all while they promise this unattainable service level goal before it's logistically possible.

Let me clarify: My wife gets written up every time an amazon package doesn't make it on time. And even if she easily documents that "the amazon truck got here at 10:00 today, two hours after my carriers were out on the routes" even though that truck was due at the PO by 7:00, it doesn't matter to USPS or to Amazon. Amazon doesn't pay so USPS writes them up. Even better, Amazon write USPS up as an "on time delivery failure" even though it was THEIR FAULT!

Amazon is the FREAKIN devil and some day, we'll all be sorry we patronized them. MARK MY WORDS! :mad::mad::mad:

Wow. Like I said I work for ups and a friend of mine works at usps. He has to go back almost every day to get the amazon that gets there late. And I knew amazon paid peanuts for delivery. Not sure what the deal is with ups. However the new contract proposed between ups and the teamsters includes a new combo driver position. They’ll work weekends for less than current full time drivers. Much less. Their base pay will be less, and they won’t make overtime. Somehow it’s the best contract in teamster history. Anyway I won’t digress any further haha.

Wow. Like I said I work for ups and a friend of mine works at usps. He has to go back almost every day to get the amazon that gets there late. And I knew amazon paid peanuts for delivery. Not sure what the deal is with ups. However the new contract proposed between ups and the teamsters includes a new combo driver position. They’ll work weekends for less than current full time drivers. Much less. Their base pay will be less, and they won’t make overtime. Somehow it’s the best contract in teamster history. Anyway I won’t digress any further haha.

No, go ahead and tell what you know. You’re only confirming the breadth and scope of the beast. Yeah, all the mellinials want to go shopping at the mall, find something they never knew they wanted at a store that pays $15K/month to be at the mall... the go home and order it from Amazon because it’s $3 cheaper, no tax, and a multi billionaire can make sure you have it in two days by bullying everyone in his path to accept less than living wages to make it happen. And by the way sparky, you could have had it INSTANTLY at the store at the mall, which is the only reason you discovered the product in the first place. If you think you’re a genius for saving $3 from Amazon, wait til they require a scan of the 666 on your forehead for delivery. ;)

Yeah, I know, but other than the last line, see how far off this is 10 years from now.

No, go ahead and tell what you know. You’re only confirming the breadth and scope of the beast. Yeah, all the mellinials want to go shopping at the mall, find something they never knew they wanted at a store that pays $15K/month to be at the mall... the go home and order it from Amazon because it’s $3 cheaper, no tax, and a multi billionaire can make sure you have it in two days by bullying everyone in his path to accept less than living wages to make it happen. And by the way sparky, you could have had it INSTANTLY at the store at the mall, which is the only reason you discovered the product in the first place. If you think you’re a genius for saving $3 from Amazon, wait til they require a scan of the 666 on your forehead for delivery. ;)

Yeah, I know, but other than the last line, see how far off this is 10 years from now.

Uh oh...DTR entered the realm of the sleepy guy at his computer:confused:...it's okay dude, I know my way around the place...you should have called! I could have stocked the fridge and picked the around the place...Pro Tip: Never mix Ambien and posting on here...but if ya do, just blame it on the Ambien and DENY, DENY, DENY, DENY!o_O

FedEx debacle... Ordered my step-son a laptop for graduation. Notification that it would be delivered next Monday. Thursday got a notice that it was out for delivery. Late morning get an email that it was not delivered "business closed/recipient not home", which means none of the kids answered the door to sign for it(if they even rang the bell). Says they will leave the package at a facility 20 miles away. Get home from running errands, get online with FedEx. 20 minute chat session and we have rescheduled for a new delivery attempt the next day. TEN minutes later get another notification that the package is now available at the local Walgreens, 5 minutes away.

Uh oh...DTR entered the realm of the sleepy guy at his computer:confused:...it's okay dude, I know my way around the place...you should have called! I could have stocked the fridge and picked the around the place...Pro Tip: Never mix Ambien and posting on here...but if ya do, just blame it on the Ambien and DENY, DENY, DENY, DENY!o_O

The tongue was slightly in cheek, but not much. Only the devil part. I heard that exact situation in person two weeks ago. A guy telling his wife he found something he loved, come here you have to see this, I’m getting one of these... then after she agreed she liked it, he said “we’ll go home and order it on Amazon.” And this is a normal occurrence. The store that pays the overhead doesn’t get the sale, Bozo does.

I’m just saying, this is all cool now and everybody seems to love it. 10 years from now I’ll be interested to hear how that has changed when huge chains that have served our families for generations are BK and out of business, and you have almost no choice but to shop online.

And yes, I take it a little personally and I have a right too! My wife worked 60 or more hours per week all through December and couldn’t even enjoy the holiday season because she was exhausted, and all because of the bullying of the USPS by Bozo. Guess me and Trump are the only one with the balls to call it what it is. ;)

Yeah I’m in a weird spot. I see how much amazon come through our little hub. And a lot of it, we take to the usps as surepost for them to deliver. And I know from my friend at usps that they get a lot of amazon and have to jump through hoops for them.

That said I’m a prime member. As much for the music and movies, as the shopping. But being from a smaller town, some things aren’t as readily available. So being able to order and have it here in 2 days has been handy.

But I do try to keep as much of my business as possible local. Because my other job is a motorcyle shop that my parents and I own. So I completely understand how internet sales can hurt small business. And I don’t want to do that. One fortunate thing for us, is the labor side. At least as of yet, amazon isn’t offering professional installation of motorcycle parts.

Anyway it’s definitely a balancing act.

In my experience (and I speak for myself only):

The champion - DHL
As soon as you call them for anything at all, they assign a fixed dedicated person to your case with a specific direct number. This person will stay on your case till delivery. You don’t have to contact the general line and re-explain the situation all over again, to a different person each time. They are the only couriers to do this and it’s priceless.

Also, you can pre-arrange specific delivery times with DHL. That again is priceless.

DHL are the undisputed champs. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

The middle road - FEDEX

You’re able to pre-arrange preferred delivery times. But they do not come anywhere close to DHL in terms of customer service.

Wide berth - UPS

I can never arrange anything with them. Never once are my requests entertained. I’ve actually gone to the extent of asking dealers not to use them. I’d be happy to pay extra money to use another courier.

Last edited:
Some swear by USPS. Me, not so much.

Had an expensive archtop coming. Seller paid much extra for "guaranteed" 2 day delivery, signature required. It disappeared for days. No tracking updates. On the 5th or 6th day, it is listed as "at the Post Office". Happy to pick it up. 45 minutes on hold......"Sorry, we don't have any record of it". Then, a bit later, "out for delivery" notification. So, I make sure I am working in the home office, with clear view and earshot of the front door. Nothing or a very long time. Then, an automated email saying it was left at our box, "no signature obtained"......A communal set of boxes on the street 100 yards away. WTF....I go tearing out the front door and nearly trip over it, leaning against the house. Now, clearly, they did not drive up to the house (circular driveway) OR ring the bell, let alone get my signature.
Oh yeah....This was the week before Christmas. Prime porch theft season, not to mention cold. Fortunately, it was intact.
I suppose if the seller and I were dishonest we could have filed a report for the $5k insurance (their upper limit, less than the price)......I mean we had their documentation that they did not obtain proof of delivery. Of course we did not.

Much of the experience is the same. I like UPS because we have a hub here and I can have a package held and go down and pick it up instead of having it bump around on the truck until our 7pm delivery. FedEx used to hold at Kinkos but that relationship must have ended because the choice is now Walgreens or Office Max/Depot. The toughest time is when the seasonal workers are packing the trucks .... I had a guitar shipped from Denver once that made it to Phoenix then was put on the wrong truck and sent to some small town in the northeast part of Arizona.

UPS for me. Why, they have a store very close to my house. I have had good days and bad days with all of them. No matter how good a process is, people are a big variable in the equation. If you get good folks handling your order who care, things will go well. It only takes one miscue to result in a problem.

UPS for me. My local driver always leaves packages in plastic if there is any chance of rail. Fed Ex has delivered to the wrong address on a number of occasions. Once Fed Ex lost a big fat check for the closing on my house that put me in jeopardy of paying substantial penalties for not closing on time.

Back