Fear, Judgement & Posting Clips

I'd love to see more people posting clips of their playing! We live in a world these days where music seems to be becoming less of a social activity. One of the great joys of music is the shared experience.

I can only talk from a personal point of view, but I don't care too much for level of ability. Sure. it's great to hear a great guitar player (Or other musician) but I just love to hear / see people having fun on their instrument. Lost count of the amount of times i've seen pics posted of great guitars and thought "I wonder how it sounds?".

I can understand a bit of fear about posting and what the possible reaction will be. When I first started posting vids on Y'tube there was a few times I came close to deleting my account because of abuse. In the end I learned to ignore it (most of the time). There's some nasty folks out there sadly. If you set your vid to 'unlisted' then it wont show on Y'tube searches but you can still embed here.

Also love to see people posting lessons, etc... Regardless of ability. we're all guitar players so lets spread the knowledge! There's a heck of a lot more that I don't know than I do. I don't mind passing any knowledege on but I want to be taught too! :)

Good questions to pose Hans, and timely for me. I have been on the cusp of posting a vid for some time, I really want to show you guys what the SE EG sounds like. I even got to the stage of practicing certain riffs that I would put in the vid. What stopped me? Several things.

Time - I realised to shoot a video showing all the tone settings with varying amounts of gain would take several hours, taking into account "clams". I know I would want to shoot separate audio so again need more time to edit the vid.

Embarrassment - two fold, my partner would likely be around and I would have to explain to here what I was doing. Also the "my chops aren't great" reasons, I get by playing, but I am in the complete rut where all I can make sound decent and I feel comfortable playing is blues or Dorian based licks.

Room - my practice room is noisy, something is going in with the power. Every guitar is just noisier in there!

Tone - I'm not happy with it, I know what's wrong with it too. New to me amp is incoming which I know will fix that.

Having said all this, I'm going to make the commitment to make a vid. I will welcome constructive criticism.

A couple of side notes:

Craig - you're a great player, you have chops and feel, end of story!

captdg - I saw the dildo comments and warnings, and I have had my moments of wondering about Trolls.

Talent - something I got from the What do you do for work? thread, is we've got some amazingly diverse skill sets among our forum peers. No one likes being good at nothing, but that's definitely not the case with anyone here. We're all good at something, but we share this common interest in PRSes, and if we post a vid maybe it's like our talent can be taken out of context. Maybe it's worth remembering that although some of us may not be Stevie Van Malmsteens, we all rock at something else.

Just for sh*ts and giggles... here's a video from that big show we did a few months ago. I'm on the right side of the stage with the PRS... Be kind

Last edited by a moderator:
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;36188 said:
Context is everything. Asking which E to play when the sheet music prescribes an E seems like a gag question when the previous posts are obviously screw-ball. Having deleted some of the vulgar context that applies to this discussion, I can see your point. Now that the context has been restored, I hope you can see mine.

I do see your point. The context is enlightening. But I disagree that the above is a gag question. It may seem so due to who posed it, but if you discount that, it becomes quite a different and important question. Since, depending on the particular sheet music E involved, it can be played six different places on a 24 fret guitar. More if you count harmonics. Most sheet music gives no clue which of those six Es the writer intended. That alone makes it a question worth answering.

I think the only "dangerous" part of this exercise would be each of us having to make the commitment to watch each video, start to finish. :p

I assure that such a video from me would have you all paying a price.. :violin:

If you set your vid to 'unlisted' then it wont show on Y'tube searches but you can still embed here.

THAT is good to know....

Last edited:
Excellent question, Hans. And I do see some of ruger's point - if we're going to encourage stuff like this, then there's a certain amount of responsibility on the members here to be civil and constructive.

On the other hand, there's also a certain amount of responsibility on the poster not to be butt-hurt if someone questions something about the tune, whether it's tone, note choice, or just asks if they're hearing what was intended. And I don't bring this side of it up lightly - it was a hurdle for me, but as I've told my children, you can't get help if you don't ask for help, and sometimes you may not like everything you hear in the answer. It was a long time before I finally jumped that hurdle and put stuff out there to ask, but there's really no way to get advice on a mix without putting it out there.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;36244 said:
Cornbread stuffing and a lemon butter glaze? :dontknow:

Perhaps it doesn't matter with The ZOMBIE Apocalypse so close....

I still think my response in that thread should have ended the discussion.

ok - I'll spell it out. you post a short something with that lipstick tone monster of yours and I'll post a short piezo/crate acoustic amp tone report.

Edit: Here's the ball and it's rolling: Your self-concious video belongs here

Last edited:
"Make up!"

"What do you mean, make up, Les? You look ok. Let's just shoot this video."

"But I can see in the monitor that I have circles under my eyes. I look bad. And my hair looks really thin. Can we change the camera angle?"

"No, we just have to shoot this thing. You have circles and thinning hair because you're the oldest Forum member. That's just who you are."

"I can't do this."

"What's the problem now?"

"I have a zit. Right on my nose. I need makeup on it. Get the makeup guy."

"No. Just play."

"I can't just play. I need to know my motivation. And I can't play with a zit. We're going to have to reschedule."

"Would you rather just, you know, record something without video?"

"That might be better. You know there's something wrong with my fretting hand today, right? So I really shouldn't be recording. And I don't know, my pick isn't comfortable...and..."

"...and...what?"

"Did they send a purchase order for this project?" ;)

Back