Favourite PRS performers/performances?

Al D

MthH63a.jpg

3X7LII9.jpg

If your personal idea of what looks cool doesn’t fit with an instrument, and is a priority for you, then don’t buy it.
What you prioritize, and purchase, is your own business and you shouldn’t be criticized for it. Asking, even if through implication, about “coolness” of a potential purchase, however, doesn’t seem like material for useful conversation with people you don’t know

Nope! I can’t actually picture anything. Tbh I went through most of life not knowing that other people could actually picture things in their mind! So I’m not that hard done by.
Brutal! I mean, that’s the single thing that gets me through the day.

Ok, seriously, very unusual. Must admit I’ve never heard of it. Trying to grasp just what it means is pretty massive. Sorry man!

I completely agree that the 'guitar' isn't the issue here at all. Slash would look just as cool with a PRS as he does with a Les Paul, the BC Rich and SG's he plays. Stick a SC594 in his hands in tobacco burst and it could easily be mistaken for a Gibson - until you see the neck/headstock. Orianthi looks cool playing on stage - whether she is playing alongside Michael Jackson or Alice Cooper or 'centre stage' with all eyes on her as a 'solo' artist. She and her PRS never looked out of place with Alice Cooper alongside other guitarists playing SG's, Firebirds or Fender basses.

The reason I mention Orianthi and not Mark Holcombe for example is that Orianthi has played with both Michael Jackson and Alice Cooper - two artists at different ends of the musical spectrum - as well as playing alongside Richie Sambora, Steve Vai, Billy Gibbons etc as well as performing on her own.

All you have to do is search 'Orianthi' on youtube and you will see a PRS being played - whether alongside other great artists with other great 'iconic' guitars - the video above is Orianthi with Billy Gibbons on an SG and Kenny Greenberg on a Gibson ES335 - her Gold top PRS doesn't look out of place at all. There is a LOT of video's of her live with a variety of different coloured PRS guitars and she looks cool as F... every time...

Cool is all about being comfortable with the instrument in your hands, confident to rock it and the ability to play the music, the brand of instrument is 'secondary'. People aren't looking at the instrument so much anyway, its the 'sound' it produces and the performance you put on. If you look like a dork on stage and mess up, it won't matter whether you have a PRS, vintage Les Paul, Strat or Tele - you won't look 'cool' regardless...

PRS guitars are versatile and can be used for all genres of music. The reason that Classic rock is associated with Les Pauls or Strats is because PRS weren't around in the 60's and 70's but Hendrix would look equally as cool with a Custom 24 as he did with his Fender Strat because he would have played the hell out of it with confidence....

What looks cool is a personal thing, certainly not the same for all of us. I say the OP has every right to decide for himself what cool is for him.

He never said no cool people play PRS, just that the look of them has certain less-than-cool associations for him.

However, if he doesn't like the look of the doublecuts, there are always singlecuts. Just sayin'.

And they don't necessarily have to be fancy - to me the Starla has a pretty cool basic/elemental look, not entirely unlike a Les Paul Special.

Touring players do feel substantial pressure to conform. And so much is based on appearances. Ten zillion people can learn the parts on a record note for note, and they’re lined up around the block for a chance to get a good-paying gig.

Those auditioning for a gig actually want to get the gig, or they don’t eat and someone else does. So I get it.

“Sorry, we were looking for someone in pink tights and a tutu.”

“I look great in pink tights and a tutu. I have some at home, I’ll bring them to rehearsal. Give me the f#cking gig.”

“Well, maybe if you were a little taller.”

“I can be tall!”

“How do you feel about drug use?”

“Never take them.”

“We were looking for an addict.”

“I can become an addict.”

It’s hard to tell producers, “Sorry, man, I don’t play Fenders or Gibsons, this is what I play, deal with it,” like David Grissom did years ago.

This is why I suggested the OP sell his if he isn’t comfortable, especially if it’s his only guitar. On the other hand, PRSes sound and play great, and certainly would work for sessions and personal use if someone in charge of a tour wasn’t into it.

I've just seen way more guitarists that tour with international pop acts playing a PRS and I've never thought they didn't look the part. Donna Grantis, Mike Scott, Orianthi (Michael Jackson, Alice Cooper, solo stuff) just to name a few...I suppose I've never thought they looked out of place. If anything, I thought they stood out. Just my two cents...

Thanks for that! I had avoided PRS for so long (dumb on my part), that I hadn’t actually noticed these people. I had to do google search, but there’s definitely some cool looking people and guitars there.

Ted Nugent has always had some interesting looking PRS guitars.
Styx+++Ted+Nugent+LiveTommyTed070812+JasonPowellmain.jpg

Back