Favourite PRS performers/performances?

I suppose I just don't agree with the statement of "not looking cool". I'm not mad at ya for thinking it as it's your opinion. I've just seen way more guitarists that tour with international pop acts playing a PRS and I've never thought they didn't look the part. Donna Grantis, Mike Scott, Orianthi (Michael Jackson, Alice Cooper, solo stuff) just to name a few...I suppose I've never thought they looked out of place. If anything, I thought they stood out. Just my two cents...

My main question would be "what exactly do you consider 'looking cool'". Is it the death metal, dressed in black with fingernail polish cool, is the "urban" look from the guy who throws hip hop in with basically hard rock kind of cool......is it the smooth jazz kind of looking cool?

For me, cool is the way an artist's face contorts when you can tell he is fully absorbed into what he is doing with his instrument. So, it could be any of the above....or it could be the Trey Anastasio, music nerd who got their @$$ kicked in school for being the band geek kind of cool.

But then again, I am in my 40's and may fall into that blues jam category where I have outgrown living up to any fashion expectations.

I can say though, the better you sound on stage, the cooler you seem to look. One does sort of stoke the other in my opinion. Just a thought.

These aren’t helpful comments tbh..
I'm sorry, but what exactly *is* a helpful comment in this thread? A photo of someone in a particular stance that magically changes the inanimate guitar's "coolness factor"?

Perhaps you could try your own internet search? That's what it's there for. ;)

If you need the guitar to look cool, and by association, make yourself look cool, it is indeed being shallow. Your words, not mine.
I'm not cool. I don't look cool. Doesn't matter what guitar is hanging on a strap on my shoulder.

These aren’t helpful comments tbh. As much as we like to think it’s all about “the music”, music is a performance art, and audiences do, in fact, see with their eyes and ears.

I acknowledge it seems a shallow question, but I work as a professional musician and most of my gigs are backing national/international pop acts. I don’t get to be the star (which gives all sorts of leeway as far as the image you project, because you also get to interact with the audience, build rapport AND play songs you wrote), but I AM regularly expected to not only play and sound good, but to look cool doing it. That means being in shape, dressing right for the gig, etc. I HAVE seen good players fired for not understanding this.

Just like not wearing flip flops would be a bad idea as a symphony player, image matters in pop culture.

Now a PRS is a beautiful instrument, but in a fashion sense, the instrument becomes an “accessory” and even beautiful “accessories” can clash with the wrong pairings.

If you don’t like the look, and feeling comfortable with the look is important, why not simply sell it or trade it for something you might like better?

Seems kind of silly to ask a bunch of random PRS fans for cool pictures to somehow convince yourself that what you don’t like, you should somehow talk yourself into liking.

I’m a pro myself, but my work is in the studio doing TV ads, so no one cares what I look like, thank goodness!

My advice: sell the guitar and get one that fits your image.

I'm sorry, but what exactly *is* a helpful comment in this thread? A photo of someone in a particular stance that magically changes the inanimate guitar's "coolness factor"?

Perhaps you could try your own internet search? That's what it's there for. ;)

Actually, yes?

Here’s the thing - I used to think telecasters weren’t cool, until I started to notice all sorts of cool people using them and looking cool with them. Then it “clicked” and I got it.

Same thing with Gibson SGs - could only picture AC/DC. I could imagine that guitar outside of that really specific thing (nothing against AC/DC, it’s just a narrow box) Then I start noticing Derek Trucks, Kirk Douglass (the roots), players in alt-country, pop, country, early santana, and I got over my hang ups.

Right now, most of my correlations with PRS are Nickleback, my-metal and hack players at blues jams. I’m sure the guitar has more breadth than that, so I’m just trying to get over my own hang ups.

Most of my google searches bring up metal players with PRS - which I should perhaps phrase as being the wrong “cool” for me.

I just want to see a variety of people playing PRS guitars to get over what I am sure is a faulty conception in my mind.

Despite being around for years, I just haven’t paid a lot of attention to PRS players in the past, and I figured the PRS forum would be full of people who love the guitars and are able to point me to some great artists of a wide variety of genres/styles!

So, if you're supporting national touring acts, aren't most of the people in the crowd there to see them? To "most" of the audience you'd just be some dude (or dudette) in the background. (No offense intended, just trying to think like someone in the crowd). As a guitar player, I ALWAYS look at the backing band, and appreciate anytime I see someone playing a PRS. To me, that means that musician knows what's going on, as too many just don't "get" PRS.

Good enough for Tim Pierce to play backing someone up!

My advice: sell the guitar and get one that fits your image.

It could happen, but I’m assuming that I’m just being ridiculous and trying to get over my own hang up.

I had a Gretsch back in the early 2000s that I didn’t “get” at the time and sold for this very reason. A year later, it suddenly “clicked” how awesome looking and sounding that guitar was, and I had huge sellers remorse. So before I decide to sell my guitar, which I got for an amazing price, and which I think sounds and feels amazing, I’m just trying to see if I can persuade myself that I might also be able to “pull it off”, as it were.

There HAVE already been some helpful photos posted, so keep them coming!

FB_IMG_1547238699650-1024x652.jpg

I love seeing prs guitars being played on stage and 'cool' is so subjective.

And as always... F#*K what anybody else thinks. Play what makes you happy

Actually, yes?

Here’s the thing - I used to think telecasters weren’t cool, until I started to notice all sorts of cool people using them and looking cool with them. Then it “clicked” and I got it.

Same thing with Gibson SGs - could only picture AC/DC. I could imagine that guitar outside of that really specific thing (nothing against AC/DC, it’s just a narrow box) Then I start noticing Derek Trucks, Kirk Douglass (the roots), players in alt-country, pop, country, early santana, and I got over my hang ups.

Right now, most of my correlations with PRS are Nickleback, my-metal and hack players at blues jams. I’m sure the guitar has more breadth than that, so I’m just trying to get over my own hang ups.

Most of my google searches bring up metal players with PRS - which I should perhaps phrase as being the wrong “cool” for me.

I just want to see a variety of people playing PRS guitars to get over what I am sure is a faulty conception in my mind.

Despite being around for years, I just haven’t paid a lot of attention to PRS players in the past, and I figured the PRS forum would be full of people who love the guitars and are able to point me to some great artists of a wide variety of genres/styles!
This post sounds a lot like you are attempting to fit into some sort of clique or some niche within whatever "scene" you belong to. Not really my thing but, if you are looking for that, this might not be the best place to ask. You'd be much better off going to that particular group of people that you are trying to fit into and ask them what kind of guitars would look cool on you [based on that clique or niche], or ask them if a PRS would fit that bill.

I am all about something LOOKING as good as it SOUNDS. Believe me, I have posted here in the past about not wanting a guitar that someone decided to relic and then charge a grand more for it than the same guitar that looks all fresh and shiny and new. But, for me, that isn't as much about what OTHER people think about what my guitar looks like. It is all about how I feel about the guitar. Looks are, no doubt, part of the appeal to me of owning a PRS. But, everyone has different tastes as to what that should entail. The overall premise of this post leads me to believe that YOU don't like the IMAGE [not the sound] of the guitar and you are hoping that WE can somehow talk you into believing that its image is acceptable. The reality is, depending on what image or mistique you are trying to express to those who see you play, it may NOT be acceptable for you. Only you can decide that for yourself. I am not sure any of us can help you with that.

One thing is for sure. There is good resale on a PRS, so you could unload it, even at a lower than market rate to sell it quickly, and buy whatever it is that fits your tastes.

Back