Favoritism

If you still have that red private stock Santana, I'll bet it won't go on the chopping block... LoL

I’m one of those guys that plays the same guitar 99% of the time. I’ve tried to expand my options over time, but I find I get drawn towards a specific guitar and tend to play it to the exclusion of all others. It used to be a Les Paul, then it became a McCarty, currently its a Custom 24.

IMO, that tendency to focus on one guitar does allow me to more out of it, but it comes at a cost. I may be able to coax more sounds out of a single guitar than someone who plays 5 different guitars, but the Cu24 is never going to sound like a Strat, or a Tele, or a 335.

I thought about it and figured I just can’t part with any of the guitars I have, so that’s pretty much that.

Sometimes the best thing is just to make a decision and go with it. On the other hand, I keep making the same decision over and over.

Does that mean I already decided and am reinforcing the decision, or does it mean I haven’t really decided, and yet keep reaching the same conclusion (this is a rhetorical question)? And of course I realize that there’s no practical distinction.
Oh dang, you mean that other voice in my head has been YOURS!?!? :D

3/4 is pretty extreme.
Personally, I think less looking for things to buy means more playing time, having less does not.
I’m pretty committed to getting rid of 5 guitars. After that, I’ll take a pulse regarding how I feel about what I have left.
I might be interested...:)

This is a debate I've had for the better part of 30 years. It was easier at the beginning of my guitar playing journey because having multiple guitars wasn't a financially viable option. It was more about gradually trading up to get the better guitar. As I got older and slightly better off financially the ability to have a tool for every possible job became more realistic. I bought a ton of guitars and slowly figured out my voice. The last couple of years I've gone through a major downsizing of my musical gear because it was getting a little out of hand. That led to where I am today.

I play the same guitar about 90% of the time with a handful of others that help me get outside of my little box. Guitars that I might purchase now fall in a very narrow band. Maybe variations of the same body shape and scale length that I know already work for me. It's actually quite liberating. That doesn't mean something won't come along and blow up my way of thinking but I'm not actively searching anymore.

I'm quoting myself because despite not looking I managed to buy a 594 today. The guitar I that I play 90% of the time happens to be a 55 Telecaster. I really like maple necks & fretboards and today I found a 594 that had both. Not buying it would have been wrong. No way I could pass it up.

lX1IbxTh.jpg

I couldn’t let any of mine go, not that I have a “pile” or a “stack”, but they all have sentimental value and two (soon to be three) were built just for me.

I'm quoting myself because despite not looking I managed to buy a 594 today. The guitar I that I play 90% of the time happens to be a 55 Telecaster. I really like maple necks & fretboards and today I found a 594 that had both. Not buying it would have been wrong. No way I could pass it up.

lX1IbxTh.jpg

Awfully sweet, so how about a shot of the whole guitar?

Back