Favorite?

And a beast it is! The guitar came to me with BK Warpigs... they work surprisingly well with the Rosewood neck. They are high output but easily go from smooth jazzy to hell raising via the volume pot. I love them in this guitar.

Thanks! I’ll have to check out those PUPS, Always tone chasing

Every day I’m reminded why I should stop playing guitar altogether. Because what’s the point? :(

Dude..... same here :(... but I keep plugging away. I just don’t set unrealistic goals, just keep improving on the talent God gave me.

Viola can come hang with my Bruiser anytime!

iFCCg4M.jpg

I love that guitar! Give me the run down.... those pickups give a good single coil sound with no hum? Are they narrow fields from PRS Studio or 408’s ? And... who made the pickup rings for that conversion?

Love this John Renbourn song, not me playing btw -

John Renbourn was an awesome guitarist, although unappreciated and pretty much unknown.
Unfortunately, he passed away three years ago.
He was a true eccentric, kinda the British John Fahey, but when it comes to eccentricity Fahey was the "real deal."
My first love is acoustic fingerstyle guitar and I still play these three, been playing them since I was naught but a callow teenager.
Renbourn --- Faro's Rag
Jansch --- Angie
Fahey --- Last Steam Engine Train

Last edited:
I love my 58 stripper for its sound, understated elegance, and simplicity.
Ya just can’t have favorite children I know, but do you have a “special” relationship with any of your PRS guitars?

EA35B55E-3790-41CE-B54A-BCC731293DDB.jpeg

You guys are killin me with these Stripped 58s...they are too much for me to look at...there so..so...so GLORIOUS! I want one to the point of attempting to hatch one of Sergios Machiavellian Plans, to sneak one past the Ginger Goddess! I know, I know... It's a suicide mission. So far the only thing I've been able to come up with involves faking my own death. So yeah, I'm very open to suggestions...I want 58 sooo friggin bad it hurts....A LOT! :(

I love that guitar! Give me the run down.... those pickups give a good single coil sound with no hum? Are they narrow fields from PRS Studio or 408’s ? And... who made the pickup rings for that conversion?

2017 Santana in Bruise Burst. It came with a blue back, and Santana pickups. The small dealer out west that I bought it from had it listed as a Santana Retro (based on the 2017 completion date), but when it arrived it crashes clear that it wasn't. They offered to take it back, but I told them I'd hang on to it. They did give me back 10% for the misunderstanding. Wasn't necessary, but I wasn't going to turn down their offer.

A few months later, I was feeling kinda bummed about it. Had it listed for sale. Then things happened. A PM from a forum member. A convo with Sergio about a makeover (based on another Santana we were lusting after). The Narrowfields came from Helmi. He had a three pack of them in a PTC modded Stripped 58, IIRC. He had the custom Ebony pickup rings made for them. I bought two from him. Emailed the PTC, and off it went. NFs installed and a white refinish for the back and neck (satin treatment on the neck). It's a great guitar for raunchy stuff, like greasy ZZ Top!

2017 Santana in Bruise Burst. It came with a blue back, and Santana pickups. The small dealer out west that I bought it from had it listed as a Santana Retro (based on the 2017 completion date), but when it arrived it crashes clear that it wasn't. They offered to take it back, but I told them I'd hang on to it. They did give me back 10% for the misunderstanding. Wasn't necessary, but I wasn't going to turn down their offer.

A few months later, I was feeling kinda bummed about it. Had it listed for sale. Then things happened. A PM from a forum member. A convo with Sergio about a makeover (based on another Santana we were lusting after). The Narrowfields came from Helmi. He had a three pack of them in a PTC modded Stripped 58, IIRC. He had the custom Ebony pickup rings made for them. I bought two from him. Emailed the PTC, and off it went. NFs installed and a white refinish for the back and neck (satin treatment on the neck). It's a great guitar for raunchy stuff, like greasy ZZ Top!

Awesome! It gives me so many ideas. Thanks for sharing

John Renbourn was an awesome guitarist, although unappreciated and pretty much unknown.
Unfortunately, he passed away three years ago.
He was a true eccentric, kinda the British John Fahey, but when it comes to eccentricity Fahey was the "real deal."
My first love is acoustic fingerstyle guitar and I still play these three, been playing them since I was naught but a callow teenager.
Renbourn --- Faro's Rag
Jansch --- Angie
Fahey --- Last Steam Engine Train

For the record...I for one love these factoids you throw out there @IKnowALittle always has some cool tid bit, that I had no idea about...love it! Keep em coming this way! Thanks for sharing!

You guys are killin me with these Stripped 58s...they are too much for me to look at...there so..so...so GLORIOUS! I want one to the point of attempting to hatch one of Sergios Machiavellian Plans, to sneak one past the Ginger Goddess! I know, I know... It's a suicide mission. So far the only thing I've been able to come up with involves faking my own death. So yeah, I'm very open to suggestions...I want 58 sooo friggin bad it hurts....A LOT! :(

They’re truly fantastic guitars. Mine was one of the best sounding PRSes I’ve been lucky enough to possess.

Here’s what to do:

Plan A (“Man Without Fear”):

You: I’m going to see if I can hunt down a used Stripped 58 PRS. They’re under appreciated and might be the best bargain ever.

Ginger: If you buy another guitar I will kill you in your sleep.

You: If prison life’s your thing, go for it. I’m still getting the guitar.

Plan B (“Guide For The Married Man”):

Ginger (looking at guitar): Did you buy a new guitar?

You: Guitar? What are you talking about? There’s no new guitar.

Ginger: The guitar you have in your hands!

You (putting guitar in case and closing case): I’m not holding a new guitar, you must be imagining things. Are you OK?

Ginger: You just put the guitar away! There’s a new guitar in the room!

You: Not really, dear. Let’s go out for drinks and a nice dinner.

Plan C (“End-Around”):

You: (to seller): I’ll take the guitar, but I want it shipped to the UPS Store and held for pickup instead of my house. I’ll pick it up there. Thanks.

Ginger: I’m going out and I’ll be back around five. Bye!

You: That’s nice, dear, see you then.

{You then rush to UPS Store, discarding shipping box, and bring guitar home after first scoping out the house, and keep it out of sight for a while.}

Ginger: Is that a new guitar?

You: Nope. I’ve had it for quite a while.

Plan D (“Political “)

You: I’m giving up my job and shutting down the lifestyle unless I can fund a new guitar without you giving me a hard time.

Ginger: How do you plan to pay the bills and live if you do that?

You: Not my problem. It’s guitar or shutdown. I’m willing to own the consequences. I may simply declare a guitar emergency, do it whether you like it or not, and take the money out of our food budget.

Ginger: No negotiation?

You: I’m willing to negotiate. I’d consider something used, if it meets my quality standards...

Last edited:
I thought the rule was, that if it was in the house for more than three weeks it was second hand and you had always had it!

That’s the rule!

It’s part of the “end-around” play this time. “I’ve had it for quite a while.”

Here’s how that works at Chez Schefman:

“Is that a new guitar?”

“No, I’ve had it for quite a while.”

“What’s a while? Like, a couple of hours?”

“Don’t be silly. Hey, let’s go out for dinner, what are you in the mood for?”

They’re truly fantastic guitars. Mine was one of the best sounding PRSes I’ve been lucky enough to possess.

Here’s what to do:

Plan A (“Man Without Fear”):

You: I’m going to see if I can hunt down a used Stripped 58 PRS. They’re under appreciated and might be the best bargain ever.

Ginger: If you buy another guitar I will kill you in your sleep.

You: If prison life’s your thing, go for it. I’m still getting the guitar.

Plan B (“Guide For The Married Man”):

Ginger (looking at guitar): Did you buy a new guitar?

You: Guitar? What are you talking about? There’s no new guitar.

Ginger: The guitar you have in your hands!

You (putting guitar in case and closing case): I’m not holding a new guitar, you must be imagining things. Are you OK?

Ginger: You just put the guitar away! There’s a new guitar in the room!

You: Not really, dear. Let’s go out for drinks and a nice dinner.

Plan C (“End-Around”):

You: (to seller): I’ll take the guitar, but I want it shipped to the UPS Store and held for pickup instead of my house. I’ll pick it up there. Thanks.

Ginger: I’m going out and I’ll be back around five. Bye!

You: That’s nice, dear, see you then.

{You then rush to UPS Store, discarding shipping box, and bring guitar home after first scoping out the house, and keep it out of sight for a while.}

Ginger: Is that a new guitar?

You: Nope. I’ve had it for quite a while.

Plan D (“Political “)

You: I’m giving up my job and shutting down the lifestyle unless I can fund a new guitar without you giving me a hard time.

Ginger: How do you plan to pay the bills and live if you do that?

You: Not my problem. It’s guitar or shutdown. I’m willing to own the consequences. I may simply declare a guitar emergency, do it whether you like it or not, and take the money out of our food budget.

Ginger: No negotiation?

You: I’m willing to negotiate. I’d consider something used, if it meets my quality standards...

That’s the rule!

It’s part of the “end-around” play this time. “I’ve had it for quite a while.”

Here’s how that works at Chez Schefman:

“Is that a new guitar?”

“No, I’ve had it for quite a while.”

“What’s a while? Like, a couple of hours?”

“Don’t be silly. Hey, let’s go out for dinner, what are you in the mood for?”

Well done Les! I have a feeling you’ve been through that before! .. Or is that just a screenplay LOL

Well done Les! I have a feeling you’ve been through that before! .. Or is that just a screenplay LOL

Haha!

Back when I had a large analog recording rig, my wife used to say I sneaked my studio into the house one cable at a time. So that’d be end-around stuff.

;)

But...there have been many times I just said, “This is what I’m doing,” and she was OK with it. Everything depends on having a sixth sense for whether she’s very, very angry, or very, very resigned to my insane lifestyle.

To be fair, she deserves the “Spouse Putting Up With Les Pulitzer Prize.”

However, I would also play the “Political” card if the right guitar came along, if need be. So far, it hasn’t been necessary. ;)

Haha!

Back when I had a large analog recording rig, my wife used to say I sneaked my studio into the house one cable at a time. So that’d be end-around stuff.

;)

But...there have been many times I just said, “This is what I’m doing,” and she was OK with it. Everything depends on having a sixth sense for whether she’s very, very angry, or very, very resigned to my insane lifestyle.

To be fair, she deserves the “Spouse Putting Up With Les Pulitzer Prize.”

However, I would also play the “Political” card if the right guitar came along, if need be. So far, it hasn’t been necessary. ;)

My wife is pretty cool with the music stuff also. She knows I used them, she knows I won’t use savings account money and put us into debt. Are usually try not to go above a certain number of guitars in my place to begin with. Some fall out of favor I eventually sell them, some stay for a very long time.

Funny thing about my wife is I could probably get away with more but I like to be upfront. The reason why I say this, every time I buy another guitar I show her and say. “look at my new guitar!” “look at the color, look at the top, listen to it sound! what do you think of this one?” Then she says,”they all look the same to me” LOL

If they all look the same maybe I should try to sneak one by..... That’s when I’ll get busted LOL

If they all look the same maybe I should try to sneak one by..... That’s when I’ll get busted LOL

I’ve had a few McCarty Bursts and a few Black Golds. It’s easier when they all look alike! :)

On the other hand, my wife didn’t seem to care when I took the Northern Lights model out, and that one’s utterly unlike anything I had previously. I didn’t get busted.

Just goes to show ya.

I’ve had a few McCarty Bursts and a few Black Golds. It’s easier when they all look alike! :)

On the other hand, my wife didn’t seem to care when I took the Northern Lights model out, and that one’s utterly unlike anything I had previously. I didn’t get busted.

Just goes to show ya.

No one could get upset over a guitar with Northern Lights finish.... It’s very tranquil :D:D:D

Back