Favorite Top Figuring

Where the figuring by some fluke ends up looking artistic, resembling nature or even conveys meaning, that’s where the money is for me!
OYuPuWK.jpg
ei8Kqrm.jpg

Last edited:
Another example from recent PSF. Though I’ve yet to decide what meaning it conveys! :p
psf-15-jpg.10060
I found a top with figuring much like that in the vault years ago. I printed a few life size copies of it to draw on to get the best look for it to send to Paul Miles to see if he could do it. Interestingly, the white center was part of the look I was after.
I might chase this one down, because I like the top quite a lot.

Here is another that is hard to categorize.
CK_845Top.jpeg

I used to be all about the flame maple. I really liked the pinstripe tight maple tops. My CU22 has a tight thin stripe to it. I love that guitar. over time I have come to really like the quilt tops. I almost prefer the quilt top now but love both. It just needs to have a lot of figuring for me. The color of stain that is used makes a huge difference in how the figuring pops out.

I have PS flamed and quilt. Both look good to me.

I guess I don't give a rat's ass. If the guitar is good, it's good. If it appeals in looks, more's the better. And either thing has been working for me of late. At one time, I preferred flame, but then realized it ain't about the top.

Back