Favorite tones on PRS 408

Tajtrivedi

I've been pretty much keeping my 408 neck pickup tapped since I got it a few weeks ago. Tried the neck in humbucker mode and wow. It is clear and warm without being too muddy. I think I prefer the humbucker sounds on mine all around. With cleaner tones, the tapped sounds sound so thin to me. It's not worth getting the extra articulation. Anyone else experience this, or am I crazy? And is there a point to having a 408 if you aren't using the taps? I'm having an existential crisis! What's the point of it all....? hahaha

The beauty of the 408 is it can change with your moods, If you need a bit of extra brightness its a switch click away.
When practicing alone the Full Humbucker tones are addictive, I am also a fan of leaving both pickups on and using the mini toggles to change tones, really like the neck full bridge tapped sound or both tapped :)

I used mine like Rider; when both pickups are on, I liked one pickup tapped. Otherwise, I liked the humbucker sounds. But we’re all different - pick your poison, right?

And it’s nice to have choices!

My current 408-equipped guitar is a PS with a middle pickup, and it doesn’t have the coil taps (they didn’t come on this model, wasn’t a conscious choice on my part).

I have a Paul's and I am another that likes at least once pickup tapped. Usually it's the neck pickup with bridge humbucker. Flip that and it sounds awesome too!

Truthfully, every config is killer, lol.

I used mine like Rider; when both pickups are on, I liked one pickup tapped. Otherwise, I liked the humbucker sounds. But we’re all different - pick your poison, right?

And it’s nice to have choices!

My current 408-equipped guitar is a PS with a middle pickup, and it doesn’t have the coil taps (they didn’t come on this model, wasn’t a conscious choice on my part).

I don’t have a 408, but I have a double HB guitar with splits, for both north and south coils of each pickup.

Pickup selector switch in middle position, bridge on HB, neck split on south coil, Chorus, Plexion clone OD and TC Electronic 20db Booster on about 2, man alive it pushes my little Mesa so beautifully and recreates some nice Brian May tones for Hammer to Fall:D

Les I have you to thank the for the tones I have now. You know why!;)

You know why!;)

Les’ brain:

Input: *you know why* searching brain disk whir whir whirrr spin click click spin spin click click

Search result: black pedalboards with flip-top second tiers
[result rejected] whir whir whirrr spin click click spin spin click click

Search result: talented kids

Search result: Agreement on Picts v Romans and Hadrian’s Wall
[result rejected]

[searching long list of things discussed]whir whir whirrr spin click click spin spin click click skwoink grind grind sssssssss crackle crackle boink gronk kaput ssss ssssssss gurk

{smoke seeps out of Les’ ears}

[flashing alert]: memory failure - malfunction [flashing alert]

:oops:

Les’ brain:

Input: *you know why* searching brain disk whir whir whirrr spin click click spin spin click click

Search result: black pedalboards with flip-top second tiers

Search result: talented kids

Search result: Agreement on Picts v Romans and Hadrian’s Wall
[result rejected]

[searching long list of things discussed]whir whir whirrr spin click click spin spin click click skwoink grind grind sssssssss crackle crackle boink gronk kaput ssss ssssssss gurk

{smoke seeps out of Les’ ears}

[flashing alert]: memory failure - malfunction [flashing alert]

:oops:

So many contributions that you and several others here have made.

Knowledge, experience, advice that years ago would have taken a lifetime to gather.

Now in the age of social media, this kind of information sharing that can be so productive and positive, which here is given freely and with generosity.

I am leaps and bounds ahead of where I would have been.

Our discussions have left me unafraid to experiment with settings and effects.

Thanks to all who have made this possible.

So many contributions that you and several others here have made.

Knowledge, experience, advice that years ago would have taken a lifetime to gather.

Now in the age of social media, this kind of information sharing that can be so productive and positive, which here is given freely and with generosity.

I am leaps and bounds ahead of where I would have been.

Our discussions have left me unafraid to experiment with settings and effects.

Thanks to all who have made this possible.

It’s everyone in this hive! But thanks for singling me out, nonetheless. ;)

another question-

I swapped strings on my 408 for the first time, and after doing so I noticed that the G string is dramatically louder, and the low E string is almost deadened, muted. Lower volume than the other strings. I don't know if it was like this before and I'm just now noticing it, or if there is something else going on. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? Is this a pickup height issue? It happens on both pickups, and one pickup doesn't sound louder than the other.

It could be as simple as a bad set of strings, or the nut slot, or the setup, or pickup height.

If you changed brands or gauges of strings, that could be it
I’ve had three 408 pickup guitars and the things you’re describing never happened. If you bought new, any issues will be covered by the warranty.

Back