Favorite Strings for your Angelus or Tonare Grand?

jas

I'm in the experimenting season with my PS Angelus and I'm looking at different strings. I've never been a fan of the D'Addario EXP's that come on the guitars stock (I don't like the feel of them, they don't sound bad, just don't like the feel).

Tonight I put my normal Gear Supply CO. strings on (http://gearsupply.co) and really liked the sound of them with the guitar. If you've not tried the Gear Supply CO strings, I'd recommend them. They've got a great feel, very well balanced string, not too bright, not too boomy. Seem to compliment the PRS nicely.

On my list to try next are:

1. GUADALUPE CUSTOM STRINGS (http://thegcs.co)
2. Cleartone's
3. Never been a huge fan of Elixirs, but I figure why not try a set. Probably do the 12-54 Nano PB

What else should I try? Would welcome any suggestions! What string to you LOVE on your Angelus or Tonare?

Last edited:
I'm in the experimenting season with my PS Angelus and I'm looking at different strings. I've never been a fan of the D'Addario EXP's that come on the guitars stock (I don't like the feel of them, they don't sound bad, just don't like the feel).

Tonight I put my normal Gear Supply CO. strings on (http://gearsupply.co) and really liked the sound of them with the guitar. If you've not tried the Gear Supply CO strings, I'd recommend them. They've got a great feel, very well balanced string, not too bright, not too boomy. Seem to compliment the PRS nicely.

On my list to try next are:

1. GUADALUPE CUSTOM STRINGS (http://thegcs.co)
2. Cleartone's
3. Never been a huge fan of Elixirs, but I figure why not try a set. Probably do the 12-54 Nano PB

What else should I try? Would welcome any suggestions! What string to you LOVE on your Angelus or Tonare?

I've got a set of Elixr's in medium and then I'll go for the Taylor custom set.

I don't have a PRS acoustic, but I've tried Elixers, EXPs, Adamas, Etc........ and I keep coming back to good old uncoated d'addario phosphor bronze.

Tom

I have a Private Stock Tonare Grand with maple back and sides and an Adirondack top. So this is a little different from some of the other versions out there. If you have a coco or rosewood or other wood, your mileage may vary.

I haven't liked any phosphor bronze formulations with the guitar regardless of manufacturer. It's funny, because I usually love phosphor bronze acoustic strings, and even liked phosphor bronze with my old Collings maple bodied acoustics.

I've found the Bluegrass sets of 80/20 bronze strings a better match for my instrument. Bluegrass sets are light tops, medium bottoms.

After a bit of experimentation, I found that the D'Addario 80/20 Bronze EXP14 Bluegrass Set that came with the guitar seems to work the best, so I've come back to them the last few times I've changed strings. They last a really long time, too, and I'm talking several months where they sound good enough to record with. I like the tone balance as well. They stay clear top to bottom.

My least loved strings, unfortunately, have been the Elixirs. It's a shame because I always want to like them and never have.

Last edited:
I ordered a set of the yellow exp's today. I'll try them out soon.

So JD sent me a set of the Cleartones this week and I threw them on yesterday. They sound GREAT! I was shocked. I remember trying a set several years ago when they first came out and didn't think too much of them, but these sounded great on the Angelus. I'll leave them on for a while and see how they hold up.

So JD sent me a set of the Cleartones this week and I threw them on yesterday. They sound GREAT! I was shocked. I remember trying a set several years ago when they first came out and didn't think too much of them, but these sounded great on the Angelus. I'll leave them on for a while and see how they hold up.

So did you go with Phosphor Bronze or 80/20?

Thomastik-infeld are some very bad a$$ strings. Mostly found in acoustic boutique stores, or where Jazz boxes are popular. Serious strings for every genre. The higher price on them keeps them from being more wide spread. Everyone that I know that has tried them has liked them. I am actually surprised I have never seen them mentioned before on the forum. Great strings.

These were phosphor not 80/20. I ordered both PB and 80/20 in the exp's.

Last edited:
Thomastik-infeld are some very bad a$$ strings. Mostly found in acoustic boutique stores, or where Jazz boxes are popular. Serious strings for every genre. The higher price on them keeps them from being more wide spread. Everyone that I know that has tried them has liked them. I am actually surprised I have never seen them mentioned before on the forum. Great strings.

You know, I've always wanted to try those. I've seen them on stringsandbeyond.com but I've never ordered them. I'll have to try them sometime.

I really like D'Addario EJ24s on my Tonare Grand or Martin MSP4150.

Last edited:

I like them for certain things...but they're different for sure. They may or may not be what some American players might expect, so it's one of those caveat emptor things. Certainly worth a try, though, kind of like Pyramid strings on electric.

I like them for certain things...but they're different for sure. They may or may not be what some American players might expect, so it's one of those caveat emptor things. Certainly worth a try, though, kind of like Pyramid strings on electric.

Funny, I put a set of Pyramid's on my Santa Cruz for the first time today. I LOVE Nickel strings on an acoustic. Especially on vintage Martin's (am I allowed to use that word on here?!) The Pyramid's sounded great on my Santa Cruz for sure.

Funny, I put a set of Pyramid's on my Santa Cruz for the first time today. I LOVE Nickel strings on an acoustic. Especially on vintage Martin's (am I allowed to use that word on here?!) The Pyramid's sounded great on my Santa Cruz for sure.

I like Pyramid electric strings, too. Granted, they sound a bit different from others, but not in a bad way.

Hey guys

New to the forum and PRS ownership, I just posted in the Introduce Yourself section.

I haven't installed a set of these on my new PRS SE Angelus Custom but I did put a set of Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings on the acoustic that I've been using. I'm a sucker for new gizmos that I think may work and having been a welder for several years, the formulation of aluminum with bronze caught my attention. Not exactly a typical mixture that you would see every day.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=Ernie+Ball+Aluminum+Bronze&Go=Search

I put a set of these on just after Memorial Day on an older acoustic and have purposely not cared for them, I wanted to see if they lived up to EB's advertising. I live in central Kentucky, which is very humid this time of year. I haven't cleaned these strings nor necessarily sheltered them from the humidity.
They kept part of that new string jangle for over 2 weeks and now being about 10 weeks old and played daily, they still sound good and won't be changed anytime soon. EB advertises improved projection and clarity - they do project well but I've heard others that are about as good. I will say that I like the clarity and overall tone for fingerstyle

Back