Favorite song to play?

The other voices in my head say I’m quite good at butchering (not playing) several Rush songs - Limelight, Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Red Sector A and parts of La Villa Strangiato :)

Acoustic tends to be a lot of my own stuff but Stairway, Silent Lucidity, and parts of Hole Hearted typically come out. Rain Song if I feel like an open tuning. I really need to work on my finger picking...

Looking forward to getting past this chronic vertigo so I can dig in to a bunch of lessons from TrueFire I bought nearly 2 years ago!

For me it depends on how much gain I’m using.

Acoustic: Blackbird or Babe I’m Gonna Leave You
Clean: Under the Bridge or Lenny
Mild OD: I’ve Got a Feeling or All Right Now
More OD to medium Crunch: Anything AC/DC or Aerosmith
More Saturated: Santana or ZZ Top

There are several for me. “Behind Blue Eyes”, Tori Amos’ “Winter”, “Beth”, “Goodbye To Romance”, “Black Diamond”.

And if I’m in a store trying out guitars, one of my favorite things to play is the solo from Ozzy’s “I Don’t Know”. But not as a metal solo - as a blues or country thing. One time I had a kid doing that dog’s-head-to-the-side thing trying to figure out what I was playing. I could see he thought it was familiar but couldn’t quite figure out what it was.

I like to compose my melodies, so I often start by warming up a few scales and let myself be guided by the music that comes to me spontaneously, a song that I love, I call it my guitar hymn, I never get tired , is that of Steve Vai for the love of god
A real happiness for my fingers!

Back