Favorite song to play?

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
Do you have a go-to or favorite song you seem to play every time you pick up a guitar?
Maybe it’s something you just learned or maybe it’s an old standard you just like to play over and over. Maybe it’s complicated or maybe it’s simple. Maybe it’s something you like to sing along with. Maybe it’s an original, maybe is an obscure tune few recognize, or maybe it’s Smoke on the Water or Stairway.

Not really looking for a set list here, but one or two tunes you tend to play a lot.

I’ve been on a Derek and the Dominoes kick lately. Seems like everyday when I pick up a guitar, I tend to play Layla and I Looked Away, the latter being one of my all-time favorite songs.

How about you; watcha got?

Last edited:
The first few minutes I play are always some original things that loosen up my fingers and get them oriented on the string spacing on the guitar of the moment.

As far as other people’s music: a couple of Carulli waltzes get played quite a bit. More contemporary I enjoy playing Blackbird from the Beatles book, a bunch of perversions of Girl From Ipanema.

Most things I play for a week or so and then bury for a long time. Stairway to Heaven popped up after probably a 20 rest and it is more fun than I remembered. Same with Dust in the Wind. Both come from Covid boredom having me work through a stack of 80s & 90s guitar magazines.

Ziggy Stardust is a frequent one for me when I've just picked up a guitar. It's a go-to when evaluating a guitar in stores, along with I Believe In A Thing Called Love from The Darkness - that's just a fun riff that's great for checking out dirty tones.

I recently intonated all my guitars and when they were done I was playing riffs from ‘Sentient Glow’ by Periphery, ‘Neon’ by John Mayer, and ‘On Ice’ by Chris Thile which is originally a mandolin tune but I adapted it and the chords are fun. Also the opening riff of ‘Sick Sad Little World’ by Incubus is a fun one.

For acoustics I like to play ‘Hourglass’ by the Liquid Tension Experiment or ‘Priestess’ again from Periphery.

If I’m feeling mellow, it’s usually “Find Another You” by John Mayer. Been playing a lot of ZZ Top lately too, largely because BG’s phrasing comes at things from an angle I’m not used to, and resolves differently, too. It’s not always hard stuff to play, but it has expanded my phrasing.

Ziggy Stardust is a frequent one for me when I've just picked up a guitar. It's a go-to when evaluating a guitar in stores, along with I Believe In A Thing Called Love from The Darkness - that's just a fun riff that's great for checking out dirty tones.

You win this thread for mentioning that song. My band in grad school used to close out or shows with that one.

The Darkness were like a real life Spinal Tap, when a friend showed us that video for the first time I think we all collectively said “is this real?”. They have talent though.

Usually A Passage to Bangkok and/or Something for Nothing will get played when I have a guitar in hand. Though this covid-winter I have been committed to learning the entirety of Operation Mindcrime so a bunch of Queensryche getting played too.

Back