Favorite PRS TODAY?

I agree, the 57/08s turned my already mighty fine McCarty into an almost unbelievably great guitar - a perfect match IMHO.
Most definitely. It almost makes me wanna pull the pickups on my other McStd too, but that one is my "metal" guitar with a HFS in it...no point in being redundant I guess.

Although technically it was last night it is still on my mind

TheStripper018.jpg

I almost forgot about this thread. There really is some amazing guitars here. Here is my new fav as of last night :biggrin:
P1020507.jpg

My favorite PRS (out of three) is still my 2012 SE Custom 24, but I will get some more time this weekend on my new 2012 SE Tremonti Custom.
And, next Wednesday is my last day at work until I go back the 2nd of January, so I hope to have lots of quality time with all of my guitars.

38.jpg

My favorite for the last month (just edging out the new DGT)

IMG_1972.jpg

This is Shawn's after pic - more from here later.

This was my favorite yesterday and it carried over to today. New picture though.

DSCN2766_zpsfc924c97.jpg

So this question has been rattling around my head for a while now. I finally had the time to compare my top three guitars head-to-head-to-head.

Left to right: 2010 JA15 with 53/10's, 2004 Employee Custom 22 Rosey with 57/08's, 2009 Employee Custom 22 (w/matching HS overlay) with covered 59/09's

holy trinity.jpg

If I only had one guitar, either of these babies would fit the bill but they each have unique qualities. All three guitars were played through the Tiny Terror with no pedals.

The JA is warm and full sounding. It certainly has the warm jazz thing covered, but also does classic rock growl incredibly well. It can be unforgiving in the same way single coils pickups can be. Because of the clarity, you'll know when you make a mistake.

The CU Rosey is open and inviting, with great cleans and plenty of throttle for overdriven tones. The 57/08's partnered with the rosewood treatment of awesomeness make for a dreamy combination.

The CU HS overlay is a bit more compressed and snarling but offers the best tapped coil tones. Because of it's duality, this is an extremely versatile guitar.

So to some it up, I love these freakin' guitars and each one offers another color to the palette.

This Cu22 has been my #1 since I got it. 2003 WF with Dragon IIs. I haven't had any interest to pick anything else up since I got it.

I will say that it took a lot of tweaking of pole pieces and caps to get a defined tone with the DIIs.

EFFAED9B-6EBF-472B-A90D-5496C07D0BF3-13198-00000FE67AAA9CD7_zpsec79b15d.jpg

Last edited:
The JA is warm and full sounding. It certainly has the warm jazz thing covered, but also does classic rock growl incredibly well. It can be unforgiving in the same way single coils pickups can be. Because of the clarity, you'll know when you make a mistake.

Do you think it's the 53/10's that are so unforgiving? That's the feeling I get with my HBII. Every little touch and movement on the guitar comes through, so they keep me on my toes (in a good way).
Sorry to go off thread topic, but can the PTC customize pickups? Sometime I wish the neck 53/10 had a little more highs (not quite as rolled off). Would it be possible to take some winds off the pickup to brighten it a bit? Would removing the cover achieve this? Do I want 57/08's? Can I get 57/08's without shipping my guitar to Maryland?

So many questions. :) We don't custom wind pickups through the PTC, but we can certainly install something new for you. Removing the cover would probably brighten it up a tad, but keep in mind that you probably won't be able to put the cover back on once it's been removed. And the pickup should be repotted once a new cover is installed. Paul won't let us sell the 57/08's outright, so you would have to send your guitar to the factory for installation.

Back