Favorite pedal with 58/15LT pickups

I’m a low to medium gain guy, and have been having great luck with a Pettyjohn Pettydrive 2 with the pickups as well as my amps. I like that I can dial it in very subtly and use it just to add character to a track I’m working on, or dial up a little more grit when needed.

It uses different diodes for different modes, and it’s actually two pedals in one, with three diode options for each side of the pedal, so there are 6 choices before you even start tweaking. The onboard EQ per side of the pedal is very nice. There’s also an alternate transistor included in an unconnected socket on the circuit board that you can swap in for a different overall sound.

But I suspect that most here want a little something more gainy out of their dirt pedals, so I should also say that the PD2 will do that, as will pedals like the Xotic BB and OCD, depending of course on the amp (pedals need to be right for the amps, too).

Here’s a pretty thorough demo of it:

Last edited:
All of them? I don't think I understand the question?
I think it applies more to overdrives and fuzzes than reverbs or delays in general. Some people prefer particular pedals with particular pickups. I know I'm one of them so I'd like to hear what other people use.

I think it applies more to overdrives and fuzzes than reverbs or delays in general. Some people prefer particular pedals with particular pickups. I know I'm one of them so I'd like to hear what other people use.

Plus it’s just plain fun to talk about this stuff!

My 594 into The Dude sounds pretty spectacular. Of course I haven't plugged a guitar into The Dude that doesn't sound great.

I’m a low to medium gain guy, and have been having great luck with a Pettyjohn Pettydrive 2 with the pickups as well as my amps. I like that I can dial it in very subtly and use it just to add character to a track I’m working on, or dial up a little more grit when needed.

It uses different diodes for different modes, and it’s actually two pedals in one, with three diode options for each side of the pedal, so there are 6 choices before you even start tweaking. The onboard EQ per side of the pedal is very nice. There’s also an alternate transistor included in an unconnected socket on the circuit board that you can swap in for a different overall sound.

But I suspect that most here want a little something more gainy out of their dirt pedals, so I should also say that the PD2 will do that, as will pedals like the Xotic BB and OCD, depending of course on the amp (pedals need to be right for the amps, too).

Here’s a pretty thorough demo of it:

Thanks Les, I typically don't get along with dirt pedals very well. I always end up with a tone that sounds like garbage. I really like the response of an amp without OD pedals.

This Pettyjohn sounds reallygood.

Thanks Les, I typically don't get along with dirt pedals very well. I always end up with a tone that sounds like garbage. I really like the response of an amp without OD pedals.

This Pettyjohn sounds reallygood.

They did a really good job with the pedal. It’s a useful tone color thing, as well as offering a little more grit when you’re playing at lower volume. The EQ is very useful, as are the bass cut switches if the amp sounds a bit woofy in a given space.

I think the use of parts you’d normally find on recording gear accounts for a clearer tone, but it makes the pedal fairly pricy. They now offer electronic silent switching as an option (the one I have has a ‘pop’ when switched in). I’d have them install the newer switches, but the thing sounds so perfect in my setup that I figure it’s best not to mess with it.

What pedal do you like most with 58/15LT pickups?

It really depends on what you (or anyone else) are looking to do to shape the sound to what you are going to play.

The easy answer is a Helix (LT or Floor) like many guitarists are doing these days. That way you can create a patch with multiple pedals combining to give you the sound you want for the music you are playing. Another option and one that I like to do is to bypass all the pedals and/or go straight to the amp. Then use different channels to go from clean, to crunch to high (Overdriven) gain - I have a Marshall JVM410 that has 3 variations for each of its 4 channels (3 clean, 3 crunch, 3 OD1 and 3 OD2 making 12 different options and each channel has its own Reverb too (or Noise gate of you have the Joe Satriani signature edition) and sometimes, nothing is better than a 594 into a Marshall....

If I could only have one 'pedal' with my 594, it would have to be the Helix and, if I wanted to use a better looper for example, I can still plug it in to one of the Helix loops anywhere on my signal path. My Digitech Trio+ is a better looper and, if I had a bass, I could use that with the Helix instead of using the Trio+ bass lines. I am sure that I could do most things I want with just a Helix but there are some 'special' pedals that are better than the Helix can do but there is a reason that a LOT of musicians - especially those with a similar situation to me - ie a Home only player.

I run mine thru my Fractal AX8 and ain't nuttin that baby can't do.... love AX8, loaded with AustinBuddy Tone Pack. Incredible.

Back