Favorite guitar?

I played my Pernie neck P22 last night and I wondered why I play anything else.

Then I play one of my other guitars and have the same thought!
LOL perhaps favorite 5 guitars would have been easier..

Hey Andrew,

Does Dave's limited have a hollowed cavity? Like a semi-hollow?

I am in love with my PRS Dave’s limited edition special run of 30 with Tune-O-Matic, 59/09’s hollowed cavity, 24 fret with wide thin neck and Brazilian board and sweet switch. This guitar is sweet! Sounds so awesome and plays like a dream! I will dare to say even better than the original Limited addition 300 that I own..... I know, hard to believe. Top guitar is original 300 limited addition the guitar I’m talking about is on the bottom with zebra pickups and sweet switch.

And..... Of course my old beat up 1990 custom 24 and whake blue 10 top.... Favorite trem guitar

lI6xcrr.jpg

SDCaI0p.jpg

9CBn5gp.jpg

And the 1990 Whale blue.....

SMhJBzN.jpg

It has to be, it’s very light. Really an awesome guitar.

I also bought one of the Dave's limited that you have although I got vintage yellow. I'm pretty sure they were solid mahogany/maple even though they were very light. As always I could be 100% wrong.

I also bought one of the Dave's limited that you have although I got vintage yellow. I'm pretty sure they were solid mahogany/maple even though they were very light. As always I could be 100% wrong.

The original 300 LE 89-91 were semi Hollowbody. I’ll email Dave’s shop just to confirm about the special run. ;)

There are several I would take to a nice dinner and spend the night trying to please with my fumbling technique, then take out to breakfast in the morning.

But there is only one...

ps607903.jpg

How did I miss this magnificent specimen before?? Wooooooo! So cool!

I have posted my favorite PRS guitar here several times. I have owned four core PRS guitars to date and still own two. While my McCarty 58 is a piece of art that plays beautifully, my Mira Korina is my #1, which is weird because I almost liquidated the guitar before I took advantage of the PTC coupon that I received when I purchased it. I have no idea as to what the guys at the PTC did to the guitar while performing the pickup swap, but it is like they sprinkled fairy dust on the instrument. It has become my desert island guitar.

I have posted my favorite PRS guitar here several times. I have owned four core PRS guitars to date and still own two. While my McCarty 58 is a piece of art that plays beautifully, my Mira Korina is my #1, which is weird because I almost liquidated the guitar before I took advantage of the PTC coupon that I received when I purchased it. I have no idea as to what the guys at the PTC did to the guitar while performing the pickup swap, but it is like they sprinkled fairy dust on the instrument. It has become my desert island guitar.

That even looks like it’d sound great! Very cool.

That even looks like it’d sound great! Very cool.

I’m sure there has to be an awful one out there but, the sheer sight of an all Korina guitar practically guarantees that it’s gonna be a superb sounding guitar for me.

I don't have a favourite at all!!! Can you pick one of these 3??

sn160bX.jpg

Not the best picture but I do have a favourite 'top' out of these 3 and I would 'upgrade' the others to get better tops as long as they are Fire Burst Red of course but that's cosmetics but as far as instruments, I think they all serve a uniquely different purpose and so my 'favourite' has to be the one that happens to be the one that delivers what I want at that time.

Anyway, the guitar that has my favourite top in my Custom 24...

vbFJx28.jpg

Of course I could eventually end up with a 'favourite' over all of these if I find a Hollowbody 2/Hollowbody 594 with Piezo in Fire Red burst, Ravens Heart etc. I doubt I will ever get the PS 594 Graveyard 2 but my 'dream' guitar would love a HB version of that with Piezo and an arched maple back on Ravens Heart with a rosewood or ebony fretboard and Red Fret markers - even if they are the traditional PRS birds and not Ravens. I do like the fretboard of the Graveyard 2 but I would prefer an Ebony fretboard and all the way up and Red Fret markers - then I would easily have a favourite... :D

Now its even more difficult to pick a Favourite. I bought my 4th PRS in January - a Hollowbody ii with a 1 piece Maple top and back as well as a Piezo. It also came loaded with the 58/15 LT's. What I can say though is that this is my favourite Hollowbody guitar and I include my Washburn Electro-Acoustic (which I have owned for 30yrs+ and has sentimental value to me).

My Hollowbody ii...
kZnd9Gg.jpg

iRJZWZk.jpg

Since I wrote the 'above', I have acquired my HBii and if anything, its knocked my PRS 509 down a smidgen and I must admit, I am not playing it as much as the others. I still wouldn't get rid of my 509 as it does have its own unique tonal options that my others cannot give me but I have always been a double humbucker, shorter scale length fan so that may explain why its not quite on the same level as my others right now. Maybe I will find something where the 509 can make that tiny step-up to join my others but right now, if I really had to get rid of a guitar, my 509 would be sacrificed so therefore it cannot be at the very top alongside my others.

I cannot pick between my HBii, my 594 and my Custom 24 - all are equally favourites to me and I love each equally and each has its own qualities that I really cannot pick between. I know my 509 is unique too, but for the reasons above and the fact that I find myself reaching more fore my other 3 than I do for this so if anything, my HBii has replaced this as 1 of my favourite '3' - I cannot narrow it down to just 1 favourite - sorry!

Now its even more difficult to pick a Favourite. I bought my 4th PRS in January - a Hollowbody ii with a 1 piece Maple top and back as well as a Piezo. It also came loaded with the 58/15 LT's. What I can say though is that this is my favourite Hollowbody guitar and I include my Washburn Electro-Acoustic (which I have owned for 30yrs+ and has sentimental value to me).

My Hollowbody ii...
kZnd9Gg.jpg

iRJZWZk.jpg

Since I wrote the 'above', I have acquired my HBii and if anything, its knocked my PRS 509 down a smidgen and I must admit, I am not playing it as much as the others. I still wouldn't get rid of my 509 as it does have its own unique tonal options that my others cannot give me but I have always been a double humbucker, shorter scale length fan so that may explain why its not quite on the same level as my others right now. Maybe I will find something where the 509 can make that tiny step-up to join my others but right now, if I really had to get rid of a guitar, my 509 would be sacrificed so therefore it cannot be at the very top alongside my others.

I cannot pick between my HBii, my 594 and my Custom 24 - all are equally favourites to me and I love each equally and each has its own qualities that I really cannot pick between. I know my 509 is unique too, but for the reasons above and the fact that I find myself reaching more fore my other 3 than I do for this so if anything, my HBii has replaced this as 1 of my favourite '3' - I cannot narrow it down to just 1 favourite - sorry!

That HB is beautiful, Mozzi.

That HB is beautiful, Mozzi.

Thank-you :)

I still can’t pick a favorite. I rotate between them, and they’re each bringing something to the party.

I totally understand - I can't pick between my HBii, 594 or Cu24 at this moment. Each has something special that the others don't, something that sets them apart and makes them all special to me in their own way. My 509 is still a great guitar that I have absolutely no desire to get rid of it. I still love it but its the fact that I find myself opting to pick up and play the others more so its just missing out on being a favourite by a very small margin but maybe I will discover something that puts it on the same level as my others.

I am looking to get a PRS Special which is similar in a lot of ways but given the choice of 'just' the middle pick-up like the 509 or both humbuckers without being able to play just the middle, I would take the double humbucker combination every time. Being a semi-hollow too may make it more difficult to include my 509 as a 'favourite' but I expect it will still be a loved and special guitar that adds to my tonal palette.

I think it makes it more difficult to pick a favourite with a more varied collection of instruments that offer something unique the others don't. If all my guitars were Gibson Les Pauls, I think I would have an easier time picking a favourite. I know my collection isn't as varied as others as all my electrics are the same brand but they are still different enough to me to make it incredibly difficult to puck a favourite. Its not like I constantly reach for my 594 for example that may be indicative of a favourite.

Thank-you :)

I totally understand - I can't pick between my HBii, 594 or Cu24 at this moment. Each has something special that the others don't, something that sets them apart and makes them all special to me in their own way. My 509 is still a great guitar that I have absolutely no desire to get rid of it. I still love it but its the fact that I find myself opting to pick up and play the others more so its just missing out on being a favourite by a very small margin but maybe I will discover something that puts it on the same level as my others.

I am looking to get a PRS Special which is similar in a lot of ways but given the choice of 'just' the middle pick-up like the 509 or both humbuckers without being able to play just the middle, I would take the double humbucker combination every time. Being a semi-hollow too may make it more difficult to include my 509 as a 'favourite' but I expect it will still be a loved and special guitar that adds to my tonal palette.

I think it makes it more difficult to pick a favourite with a more varied collection of instruments that offer something unique the others don't. If all my guitars were Gibson Les Pauls, I think I would have an easier time picking a favourite. I know my collection isn't as varied as others as all my electrics are the same brand but they are still different enough to me to make it incredibly difficult to puck a favourite. Its not like I constantly reach for my 594 for example that may be indicative of a favourite.

I reach for my 594 more than my others, but that’s more a reflection of a couple of factors: It sits more or less in the middle of the tone continuum in my head, and it’s very light. So it’s easy.

When the time comes to evaluate which guitar suits a track or mix best, I’ll usually put more thought into it.

Back