Favorite Discontinued PRS Guitars

I was looking at the PRS site this evening and just realized that the core Custom 22 was discontinued. I was a bit shocked by that one.
I noticed that a few months ago as well, wonder what the reasoning was. I thought that would always be a mainstay model. Perhaps to streamline an operation it was the 22 or the 24 on the block and keeping the 24 in the lineup didn’t technically subtract anything.

Bring back the McCarty Archtop! (1998-1999 or so)

2014-01-26-0072_psd.jpg

2014-01-26-0074_psd.jpg

That is not a 10-top, by the way. Not back then.

=K

SO many amazing guitars...

I understand Paul's philosophy of "if you don't buy it, we don't build it.."; as a business model, it's clearly effective and has led to becoming a major player in the trade.

But...

It's not the only viable business model, and it's somewhat unusual for someone as perfection and refinement-driven as he is. Rather than individual models getting refined and perfected, it tends to be the componemts and the processes that do. So cycling through a constantly changing array of 'new' instruments perhaps encourages loyalty to the brand (not a bad thing) but prevents any individual model from being established as an iconic instrument.

However, I think it's also possible that in the eyes of the typical guitar playing consumer, a 'PRS' is simply the classic asymmetrical double cut body shape with the classic headstock. All the various iterations using that body and headstock shape are all the same guitar in their minds: "That's a PRS...". So maybe that's why PRSh can be so cavalier with creating and discontinuing so many different models, because in the eyes of most guitar players, they're all the same guitar anyway.

The 408s are great. But with the advent of Paul’s guitar and the custom 24-08…combined with the proprietary pickups of the 408…feels like it was doomed. Such a shame. It’s like a custom 24. But solid splits. I pretty much keep the neck split on mine and bridge in full humbucking.

Also the reclaimed series was very successful. I would strongly advise (not that my opinion matters to PRS :D) that if they make a run again that they keep the satin mahogany neck without the grain filler. The Vela had it and it’s magical. It’s so addictive to feel and enjoy with the wood top. I can’t imagine a maple neck feeling that special (like the CE).

I have a feeling the regular McCarty may end up in this convo overtime. The 594 has been a runaway success for PRS. And they still have the DGT which is a McCarty with tremolo and slightly different neck carve

Back