Favorite Discontinued PRS Guitars

That 1999 catalog was a massive influence on my collection to the point that I sought preowned instruments from that era. The Archtop is at the top of my list, very glad I found one in the color I wanted. The Swamp Ash Special was the first PRS I saw in a catalog and I still want to get one eventually.

I also miss the colors Teal Black and Emerald Green. They’re not as common now and I don’t believe they’re currently an option.

cHtiJ3s.jpg

EG3

Before the US PRS acoustics were only available through Private Stock, there was a Core and an Artist model. However, they were the same as the PS guitars, and were absolutely the best value in an acoustic guitar I've ever owned - even though they were very expensive guitars!

My Artist Tonare Grand made me sell my Collings SJ, which was itself a great guitar of similar size and shape. But the Collings didn't hold a candle to it. And yes, I love Collings acoustics, so that's saying something. I'd have it still, but I wanted a maple one, and had to go PS for it. Needed the dough to help fund the maple one.

However, the thing about PRS is that they just keep coming out with great new guitars, so even when you regret selling one, boom, they hit you with several equally tasty choices.

The 513, no question.

Honorable mentions to the Mira (core version), especially the P90 one, and the NF3.
Heck yeah--the first PRS that I owned (and maybe even the first I played?) was a core Mira 245 Soapbar. That guitar weighed absolutely nothing and was pretty much the best embodiment of a dual-soapbar, dual-cutaway "Special" that I've ever seen. Now... why the hell did I sell that thing, anyway..?

Heck yeah--the first PRS that I owned (and maybe even the first I played?) was a core Mira 245 Soapbar. That guitar weighed absolutely nothing and was pretty much the best embodiment of a dual-soapbar, dual-cutaway "Special" that I've ever seen. Now... why the hell did I sell that thing, anyway..?
Guilty here, too. Sold a 25th Anniversary P90 Mira... doh!

I’ll take this opportunity to yet again proclaim how much of a stinking, crying shame it is that the S2 Studio was a limited run.

I have a 2009 Starla and an extra set of Starla core pickups in my Zach Myers.

Based on how much I love the Starla pickup in that S2 Studio, I put one in the neck position of my S2 Custom Semi Hollow, and it’s a wonderful thing! Oh, yeah, and I should probably add that one to the list of great, discontinued guitars, too.

Back