Favorite boosts/ODs with Archon?

Sounds good.
I'll use my EQ as you use your Silver Horse.
I used boosts up front but in thr end, I found an EQ did the same thing, with more versatility.
The XTC Midrange modified Boss EQ is an example. Same with my Modest Mike's modded EQ. Got rid of my other boost and ODs, replaced with EQ pedals.
I use the Friedman Boost and KSR Eros in thr same way.

We had rehearsal today and I ran the Archon 100 gain at between noon and 1:00 or so. I saw guys running higher but I didn't try.

Despite already having great dity tone, I think Archon will shines even better with a nice od pedal in front of it. After many od pedals have come and gone, I think I prefer Free The Tone SOV Matt Scofield the most for being incredibly organic, tube-like overdriven tone.

Recently sold the SD 805 due to it's bland, lacks of tonal liveliness.

2ntmx9Q.jpeg

COPYOV7.jpeg

Very nice!

Isn't the 805 a boost and the Free the Tone an OD?
My boosts are Friedman Buxom Boost and KSR Eros Boost/EQ.
I don't have any ODs, although I want to try the Revv G2. Supposedly good as an amp in the box or OD.
The Archon has massive gain, so I would only use the OD for some variety.

How do you like the mix with the Archon? I have V30s but normally blend with other speakers.

I've also gotten good mileage out of the Archon without any extra boosts in front- it's plenty tight without any extra help, in my experience.

Exactly. Many choose OD's the cut bottom off to tighten up their amps. That is not needed with the Archon because the depth control more than handles that!

But an OD or boost adds a feel and sound sculpting I don't get with thr amp alone.
That said, I love the to r either way.
I prefer an amp with massive bottom so you can sculpt with a pedal. But the Depth is awesome on it. :)

How old is your Mesa? I hear people say the old Mesa cabs have better speakers than new Mesa cabs.

I have every variety of V30, you can imagine and they all sound similar.

Had it since '07.

TS 808 has always been the gold standard for boosting higher gain amps. I've tried this with my very own Klon clone and the Klon was mud compared to my TS 808.
You like the TS-9 and Maxon OD-808 as well?
I want to try the Suhr Koko Boost again, the Xotoc BB and Bogner Wessex again.
The BB to me is like a tube screamer but better.

I use a boost for when I run the amp low gain for classic rock type stuff and then hit the boost to add back gain for leads.
Friedman Buxom, Suhr Koko, Xotic BB, Fargen J&J, Friedman Golden Pearl all work well.
I'm using Bogner Blue and Red for alternate tones into thr clean channel.

I'm curious what pedals you guys have found you like best with the Archon?

I have a KSR Eros and was about ot get a used Horizon Devices Precision Drive, Highwind Direwolf, Airis Parallel Drive, Friedman Buxom Boost or Deadwell Duality.

Anyone try these?

Thanks!
I have those pedals and they work well. It really depends on what you are going for. Some pedals work better in some situations than others. The Peper's Dirty Tree is nice. The Fortin Hex Drive is nice. The Klirrton Lichtbringer is nice. It depends on the flavor you wish. I will say the Friedman Buxom is nice on virtually every amp I have tried it on. It deserves far more credit than it gets IMO. The Revv pedals (gain down or off) are nice as well on dirty amps at volume.

I read about the Dirty Tree. Good price and read it's great.
I also have a Suhr Koko Boost and Bogner Wessex V2.
I also have a 20th Bogner Shiva and BFG modified Mesa Dual Rec.
I like pedals that are intuitive and less tweaky. The Eros is too tweaky.

I like a pedal into clean for another flavor of gain and into the gain for a boost and thickener when I'm running the amp at low gain.

Also want to try the Friedman Golden Pearl.

I read about the Dirty Tree. Good price and read it's great.
I also have a Suhr Koko Boost and Bogner Wessex V2.
I also have a 20th Bogner Shiva and BFG modified Mesa Dual Rec.
I like pedals that are intuitive and less tweaky. The Eros is too tweaky.

I like a pedal into clean for another flavor of gain and into the gain for a boost and thickener when I'm running the amp at low gain.

Also want to try the Friedman Golden Pearl.
The Golden Pearl will give you more of what your amp already does. It's a nice pedal. The Dual Recs love the Dirty Tree. Must have pedal for a Dual Rec IMO. The Eros and Ceres can be tweaky but are fairly easy to find a nice sound from. If you are liking Distortion pedals on clean channels or added to crunch then you have to look into the Klirrton pedals. The Oh My Goat is SPECTACULAR as is the Grindstein. They don't make a bad pedal. The Airis Stuff is great as well. So many wonderful options!

Back